Would a chevy 350 fit in my '60?

Search this Thread

Old September 27th, 2011, 12:34 PM

Would a chevy 350 fit in my '60?

I am thinking about swapping a 350 into my car out of an old caprice ONLY until I can afford to rebuild the 371 & jetway trans. because it is giving me problems especially the trans and I would like to drive my car as soon as possible. Anyone done this or know anyone who has or could help me know if I need to change the mounts or anything or if it will even work in my oldsmobile at all? Any & all help is much appreciated
Old September 27th, 2011, 12:46 PM

It'll work, you'll have to do some research to figure out the motor mount situation. There may be someone here that could help with that. I don't know much about the '60 Olds but as far as the engine working, it will. You may burn in hell and be cursed forever but it'll work lol!
Old September 27th, 2011, 01:14 PM
71 cutlass convertible

I think if you research it, it will be more work than it is worth to covert to chevy than back to olds. Someone on this board might have a working 371 or 394 that they would sell you. That would be a drop in. My .02

Larry
Old September 27th, 2011, 01:24 PM

Thanks yeah I looked on car-part.com but the only ones I could find were all the way across the country in washington state D: really the engine isnt even bad mostly just the transmission which I can't afford to get rebuilt at the moment not to mention most transmission shops said they wouldn't touch it :/ one shop told me it could be as much as $2500 just to rebuild it which is almost what I paid for the whole car!
Old September 27th, 2011, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by ah64pilot
You may burn in hell and be cursed forever but it'll work lol!
haha! definitely wouldn't be a permanent thing if I could even do it I would definitely be going back to stock ASAP I may be young but I know better than to ruin the integrity of a beautiful classic
Old September 27th, 2011, 01:39 PM

You need to spend some time on the telephone and internet searching out an old time tranny guy. They are around but mostly in independent shops. The fear factor sets in any time you talk to the national chain stores. Hemmings is another source to find a tranny shop.
Old September 27th, 2011, 07:21 PM
Oldsdruid

Why did I know this question was going to come up about this car?

Olds and Chevrolet mount the engines and transmissions different. To do it you'll have to create engine mounts and alter or eliminate the transmission mounting bar. Then you get into driveshaft/U-joints, exhaust, electrical (also very different), plus if there's power steering involved the Olds pump bracketry will not mount to the Chevrolet engine, and I expect you'd get into steering linkage to oil pan interference power or non-power.

Time you do all that you'll have a chunk of change in the modifications, then you have to RB the HydraMatic and then undo it all to put the original stuff back. I know what I'd do, is find someone that can fix that Hydro and forget about all that drivetrain transplant mess. Let me ask around on AACA and see what I can come up with.

You'd actually come out about as cheap just having a Turbo HydraMatic modified to fit your Rocket engine.

It always amazes me that a tranny guy can repair an electronically controlled transmission but is scared shitless of a HydraMatic.

As you stick around here you'll find that Chevy engine transplants into an Oldsmobile are not a popular topic. A lot of us, myself included, consider it a high insult.
Old September 28th, 2011, 03:18 AM

Did you know that a TBC (tiny block Cheb) fuel pump gasket is the same one for a 371 Olds!!!
Old September 28th, 2011, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by rocketraider

As you stick around here you'll find that Chevy engine transplants into an Oldsmobile are not a popular topic. A lot of us, myself included, consider it a high insult.
Thanks for the advice & I know it is insulting even to me I am just anxious to drive my car & was hoping there might have been a cheaper temporary alternative. Definitely not gonna ruin her I want to keep it as original as possible aside from the paint and maybe a drivers side mirror would come in handy as well but idk if I could bear to drill any holes in her!
Old September 28th, 2011, 08:08 PM
Texas Jim

You could make motor mounts and trans mount and the Chevy thing would work, but Y not go back w/ the original engine. Yes, alittle more time and effort, and money, but when it's finished you'l really have something. I understand that you want to drive the car, but there's nothing like a well done rebuild of the correct drive trane. In any event, good luck w/ the project. Sincerely, Jimmy.
Old December 23rd, 2011, 07:22 AM
Phantom Phixer

Try this guy; http://rossracingengines.com/c/5/old...early-catalog/
Old December 23rd, 2011, 02:39 PM

there are like no descriptions or prices or anything i dont even know what i'm looking at there.. not the best designed website out there
Old December 23rd, 2011, 04:43 PM
Phantom Phixer

Go to "contact us" at the top of the page and give him a call.
It is a rebuilt TH 350 or 400 that has been cut down and a new bellhousing welded on.
Phone numbers are 330-544-4466 or 330-720-1282

Last edited by Charlie Jones; December 23rd, 2011 at 04:50 PM.