Water Temp Gauge

Search this Thread

Old June 11th, 2011, 12:19 PM
1970 Delta 88 Royale Conv

Water Temp Gauge

I was wanting to install a water temperature gauge in my 70 oldsmobile 88. I am wanting to find and install a water temp gauge in this car so I can watch the temperature. I know about my car, but don't know anything about these or where to even start. ANy ideas? Help would be greatly appreciated.
Old June 11th, 2011, 01:16 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by olds88royalvert
I was wanting to install a water temperature gauge in my 70 oldsmobile 88. I am wanting to find and install a water temp gauge in this car so I can watch the temperature. I know about my car, but don't know anything about these or where to even start. ANy ideas? Help would be greatly appreciated.
There are about a bazillion choices for aftermarket temp gauges. The big decision will be mechanical or electrical (I'd suggest electrical). The only problem will be that your car probably doesn't have an extra threaded bung in the water crossover on the intake, so you'll need to remove the sender for your HOT idiot light. Unlike oil pressure senders, the temp sender must actually be located in the flowing coolant, so you can't just run a tee with both senders.
Old June 11th, 2011, 01:44 PM

Question: Can the manifold be tapped for a sender at the rear drivers spot or is that poor coolant flow? I don't know enough about this and I'm interested.
Old June 11th, 2011, 04:29 PM
1970 Delta 88 Royale Conv

No Light

I was wondering if I could just replace the idiot light sensor, that was my first thought but wasn't sure. I will go electrical, just because of the ease of use, and, if i have a temp gauge, why do i need the idiot light, right? Anyone have a suggestion for these? Are they just as easy as unscrewing the sensor, and screwing the new one in? (While cold of course, and engine shut off, and all the other common sense things) and running the wire? If so this is definitely something i am going to do.