Undersized timing set needed

Search this Thread

Old November 3rd, 2017, 09:56 PM

Undersized timing set needed

Hey folks, I tried a Cloyes standard timing set but I think there's a little too much slack in the chain because of the line hone on the mains.
I've been looking but can't find anything undersized except for Mopar and Chevy. Anyone know where I can get a .005 undersized set?

Old November 4th, 2017, 06:22 AM

I'll bet if you bought a better set it would be fine. I use and sell the Cloyes 9-3513-9x and have never had an issue. And ALL my builds get align honed. Just a suggestion.
Old November 4th, 2017, 06:57 AM

I don't want to hijack this thread but the 67 chassis service manual shows the timing marks with the cam mark at the 6:00 position, not 12:00 like this picture. How does it really go? Also is that really too much slack?
Old November 4th, 2017, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by cutlassefi
I'll bet if you bought a better set it would be fine. I use and sell the Cloyes 9-3513-9x and have never had an issue. And ALL my builds get align honed. Just a suggestion.
I'm a little confused on this point. Do I understand that some Cloyes come with a non-Coyes chain?
How much for your set and how soon can you get it in the mail. There's just not much else I can do until I get this resolved.

Originally Posted by edzolz
I don't want to hijack this thread but the 67 chassis service manual shows the timing marks with the cam mark at the 6:00 position, not 12:00 like this picture. How does it really go? Also is that really too much slack?
Ed(?), I'm pretty sure this is correct; cam gear @ 12 and crank @ 12 on compression (assuming rotor is pointing at #1 plug wire). But now I'll have to double check.
Isn't Chebby 6 & 12?
Old November 4th, 2017, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by edzolz
What really verified that it's too loose for me was turning the crank with a wrench so I could get that sticky, red, Permatex assembly lube on all the chain and sprockets and, while turning, the chain would stick to the gear for a bit and then pop back out with a snapping sound (sticky assembly lube). Difficult to explain but yeah, it's not extremely loose but enough to make me uncomfortable. I think it has about 3/8 inch movement from left to right.

Last edited by Macadoo; November 4th, 2017 at 08:45 AM.
Old November 4th, 2017, 10:19 AM

Did I say I didn't have anything else to do until I get the chain issue fixed? I've been vacuuming and mopping and cleaning the house all morning. Save me!
Although I did get the dishwasher fixed. I'd forgotten what it's like to not have to wash dishes by hand
Old November 5th, 2017, 06:37 AM

Too Funny!

That's funny, Mac! My wife has a list of Honey-Do's just waiting for the times that I'm stuck waiting on parts for my project.
Old November 5th, 2017, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by Macadoo
Hey folks, I tried a Cloyes standard timing set but I think there's a little too much slack in the chain because of the line hone on the mains.
I've been looking but can't find anything undersized except for Mopar and Chevy. Anyone know where I can get a .005 undersized set?

Hi mac, may have the .005" under set on the shelf (5.039"), will let you know next week!

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. I probably won't be at the shop until around this coming Wednesday!
Old November 5th, 2017, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by BackInTheGame
That's funny, Mac! My wife has a list of Honey-Do's just waiting for the times that I'm stuck waiting on parts for my project.
Lol! That's one of the reasons I try and carefully time my purchases!

Originally Posted by GOSFAST
Hi mac, may have the .005" under set on the shelf (5.039"), will let you know next week!

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. I probably won't be at the shop until around this coming Wednesday!
Hey Gary, I just bought another, higher quality Cloyes from cutlassefi. He seems to think the trouble is this cast sprocket set. HOWEVER, hold on to that .005 for me. I'll know if this new set will do the trick by later next week. What's the manufacturer and price for your undersized set? PM me if you'd rather not say in this thread.
Thanks buddy!
Old November 5th, 2017, 08:23 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

My Street roller Cloyes timing set was similar new and more slack than that once ran about 10,000 to 20,000 km. Looked loose but only 1 degree or so on the timing tab. That Cloyes billet set looks super nice. There are chain options, I assume that one has the super high quality German roller chain. You marks are 180 degrees out FYI.
Old November 5th, 2017, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by olds 307 and 403
My Street roller Cloyes timing set was similar new and more slack than that once ran about 10,000 to 20,000 km. Looked loose but only 1 degree or so on the timing tab. That Cloyes billet set looks super nice. There are chain options, I assume that one has the super high quality German roller chain. You marks are 180 degrees out FYI.
Not sure what you mean here. 12 o'clock and 12 o'clock is #1 compression.

Originally Posted by joesw31
Mac,

We discussed this in another thread of yours if I recall correctly. I have had this issue before. You need to measure from center of the crankshaft to the center of the camshaft to determine (your measurement) if you need an undersize timing set. Once that is determined, then you can buy the appropriate timing set. I used a cloyes unit.
I have a circle center finding jig and a digital caliper but aren't we talking thousandths of an inch? And is the stock distance available somewhere? I don't see it in the CSM. And BTW, my '71 CSM has the cam and crank timing marks pictured wrong.
Old November 7th, 2017, 06:54 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

The cam and crank timing marks should be directly above and below each other with the balancer on 0 or TDC for #1.

Last edited by olds 307 and 403; November 7th, 2017 at 07:05 AM.
Old November 7th, 2017, 07:09 AM

I had to go to a -10" chain just a couple of years ago due to how the shop did the align hone on my 403. I also had to wrestle with bearing alignment, thrust alignment, etc etc.

Yikes! Cloyes used to make -10 and -5 Olds chains in the true roller, e.g. 9-3113-10. Looks like there's some old stock floating around and the fancy top of the line stuff is still available.

Don't bother trying to measure center to center at home. You need a proper jig to do it.
Old November 8th, 2017, 05:54 AM

Lol! That's one of the reasons I try and carefully time my purchases!

Hey Gary, I just bought another, higher quality Cloyes from cutlassefi. He seems to think the trouble is this cast sprocket set. HOWEVER, hold on to that .005 for me. I'll know if this new set will do the trick by later next week. What's the manufacturer and price for your undersized set? PM me if you'd rather not say in this thread.
Thanks buddy!
Hi mac, that set I thought I still had in stock sold a while ago, the number is also discontinued but I can get a different number and it will be .005" under. It is a higher-end "Tru-roller" though.

If you still need help contact me with an e-mail, I get them daily! Theengineshop@aol.com

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. The cost is going to be in the neighborhood of $200.00 by the time you receive it with all the freight, this includes the freight in to me and out to you? This is NOT a normally stocking number for us so I have no choice on shipping!

Last edited by GOSFAST; November 8th, 2017 at 05:55 AM. Reason: E-mail
Old November 8th, 2017, 07:43 AM

Whether the cam gear is at the 6 o'clock or the 12 o'clock position doesn't matter as long as the one you use is TDC for your engine and has the valves closed for the #1 cylinder. In other words if setting it at 6 o'clock has the lobes up and opening the valves you'll have to rotate it 180* and get the lobes down so the cam is on the base circle.
Aftermarket manufacturers don't always follow factory guidelines.
Old November 8th, 2017, 12:52 PM

Mac,

Have you resolved this issue? If not let me know.
Old November 8th, 2017, 01:43 PM

What really verified that it's too loose for me was turning the crank with a wrench so I could get that sticky, red, Permatex assembly lube on all the chain and sprockets
he did say he turned the crank.if he turns it another turn the marks will line up.
Old November 8th, 2017, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by GOSFAST
Hi mac, that set I thought I still had in stock sold a while ago, the number is also discontinued but I can get a different number and it will be .005" under. It is a higher-end "Tru-roller" though.

If you still need help contact me with an e-mail, I get them daily! Theengineshop@aol.com

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. The cost is going to be in the neighborhood of $200.00 by the time you receive it with all the freight, this includes the freight in to me and out to you? This is NOT a normally stocking number for us so I have no choice on shipping!
Thanks Gary. I haven't received the new set yet but I'll let you know if I need to go under.

Originally Posted by TripDeuces
Whether the cam gear is at the 6 o'clock or the 12 o'clock position doesn't matter as long as the one you use is TDC for your engine and has the valves closed for the #1 cylinder. In other words if setting it at 6 o'clock has the lobes up and opening the valves you'll have to rotate it 180* and get the lobes down so the cam is on the base circle.
Aftermarket manufacturers don't always follow factory guidelines.
Trip! How ya' doing buddy? I'm planning on spending tomorrow evening doing just that. I'll drop a couple lifters in the #1 and have a look. I didn't realize manufacturers might do that. Thanks for the heads-up.
Old November 9th, 2017, 08:04 AM

Doing well Mac, thx for asking.

I went through the same situation with my timing set but once you realize that the cam rotates at twice crank speed it all makes sense as stated by others here and elsewhere.
Old November 10th, 2017, 09:17 AM

Mark, I can't find this part number anywhere..?
Old November 10th, 2017, 09:22 AM
Administrator

Here are the first 3 that popped up in search
Amazon Amazon

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/clo-9-3513x9

http://www.jegs.com/i/Cloyes/220/9-3513X9/10002/-1
Old November 10th, 2017, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by brownbomber77
Mark, I can't find this part number anywhere..?
So, here's the deal; if you're looking for undersized, you have to call summit, ask for that part # Cloyes timing set and specify .005 or .010 undersized. They don't have them on their website.

The set I got from Mark, the Cloyes billet, fit like a glove. Much tighter but not too tight. A quality piece for sure.
Old November 10th, 2017, 11:55 PM

I copied and pasted. Whoops. The exact PN posted yielded no relevant results which prompted the question.
Old November 11th, 2017, 07:36 AM

I'm very happy with the fitment.

Old November 11th, 2017, 10:33 AM

It looks like it's one tooth off.
Old November 11th, 2017, 02:28 PM

It looks like it's one tooth off.
I don't think so, Mark, but I'll double check. I remember thinking the photo made it look that way.
Old November 11th, 2017, 02:42 PM

That's just how Mac holds a camera.........
Old November 11th, 2017, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by RandyS
That's just how Mac holds a camera.........
Lol! Oh Randy, you're always good for a laugh.
Old November 13th, 2017, 05:28 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

That is a very nice looking set, it will be going on my next build. That one is the regular roller chain, the German chain is $20 more. The timing marks are easier to tell right above and below at 12 and 6.
Old November 13th, 2017, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by olds 307 and 403
That is a very nice looking set, it will be going on my next build. That one is the regular roller chain, the German chain is $20 more. The timing marks are easier to tell right above and below at 12 and 6.
It's pretty, isn't it? Do I have to cover it up?!

Yes, I checked it at 12 and 6 and it's right on. It's just the wide angle lens most phone camera have, I guess.