Tall aluminum valve covers

Search this Thread

Old January 7th, 2014, 10:36 AM

Angry Tall aluminum valve covers

What Type of tall aluminum valve covers are you guys running. need clearance for the roller rockers, I haven't found many options online. I would like to see some engine pictures to get some ideas...

Thanks
Mark
Old January 7th, 2014, 10:57 AM

Valve covers

You could use spacers to retain the stock valve covers. There's a company in Round Lake IL that makes some. Others have them as well. I have some Holleys or MTs all polished up I could sell you. Seems like a lot of guys are going with the sheet metal fabbed covers lately. Make sure you have clearance by the brake booster and heater box. You may also want to make sure your brackets for all the engine accessories will fit with taller valve covers. Here's some engine shots to drool over-
81Olds9-2.jpg
72engine.jpg
05f86be6c2-1.jpg
YellowSSengine.jpg
scan0001.jpg
BTREngine1.jpg
4corner5.jpg
4corner4.jpg
7689444002_large.jpg
6847710056_large.jpg
My junk-
117-1764_IMG.jpg
Old January 7th, 2014, 11:26 AM

I run a 455 with aluminum heads and use tall valve covers from Mondello.The 455 motor replaced the 400.It slipped right in,but with the booster and heater box I don't know if I will be able to get the covers off if I need to without removing stuff. You can see the motor in my album photos.
Old January 7th, 2014, 12:47 PM

I am not sure what the diff is between your 70 and my 65 442 is but..... I ran the tall alum GM Oldsmobile block script covers pictured in the 4th,6th & 7th picture from the top on the 2nd post on this thread, they will NOT clear a stock booster, I smoothed my firewall so I cannot speak for the heater box. I am running roller rockers and I am pretty sure the Sharp, M/T, edel and other aluminum covers will clear the rockers, but the Batten, and Olds block script and a few others are REALLY tall.
Old January 7th, 2014, 01:21 PM

This is my 455 in my 71 supreme. Like others said, heater box and brake booster will be the issue. I used a random ebay heater box delete and a 7" booster to get the clearance I needed. I also made a custom alternator bracket.

Last edited by Gunmars; January 7th, 2014 at 01:26 PM.
Old January 7th, 2014, 05:25 PM

Very nice Gunmars...looking to do the same.Just hope the smaller booster stops my car OK. I still run the mechanical fuel pump also but lose pressure when getting on her.
Old January 7th, 2014, 06:12 PM

Here's a couple more-

0001261.jpg
4carb.jpg
100_0597.jpg
BillSullivan-1.jpg
3895230022_large.jpg
1010355.jpg
1Badass65-1.jpg
bild16.jpg
Old January 7th, 2014, 06:30 PM

IMAG005.jpg
0906phr_01_z401ci_pump_gas_oldsmobile_enginetop-1.jpg
Rocket.jpg
2ykxhzt.jpg
Old January 8th, 2014, 10:31 AM

I like the look of those Oldsmobile aluminum covers with the Oldsmobile in script, but haven't found them for sale anywhere. Thanks for all the pictures
Old January 8th, 2014, 12:51 PM
Shoveling Snow

Ooh Ooh I like the ones on Quad Quad!
Old January 8th, 2014, 01:17 PM
Old(s) Fart

Since some of the posts here have touched on brackets, note that none of the tall valve covers in these photos use stock accessory brackets. The ones in the photos above that DO use the stock passenger side alternator bracket (the M/T and the other no-name finned aluminum covers) are not appreciably taller than stock, which is why they clear the brackets. They do not have baffles inside, so that may be why they still clear some roller rockers.
Old January 8th, 2014, 01:21 PM

any clue where to get the fabricated valve covers in the 4th picture down?

Originally Posted by 67 Cutlass Freak

Old January 8th, 2014, 06:17 PM

I want to run stock A/C box and booster... I am working from the ground up. I finished the frame and chassis now motor is done and never thought I would have clearance problems. from looking at the pictures it dose not look like anyone of these guys have A/C or a 11 inch brake booster..
Old January 8th, 2014, 06:43 PM

If you need a little extra clearance you can buy spacers that go under the valve cover.Then you could use any standard valve cover you like. I'm running Crane roller rockers with stock Olds script covers, and a 3/8 spacer. Plenty of room, and I really doubt i would affect A/C box clearance. The alternator and compressor brackets would need minors modification at the most I would think.
Old January 8th, 2014, 08:27 PM

Alluminum Valve Covers

I'm glad everybody liked the engine photos. I've been collecting them for years. Some of the guys that own these cars probably think they look like crap compared to now. Still eye candy to me. I thought I would take a few minutes to help you guys with sources for these various valve covers. Of course the most obvious is Ebay. I like to look there from time to time just to get an idea of how much money people are asking and getting for these things. I guess we should star with your basic aluminum cast valve cover. You can find them with different names, but the same basic mold and dimensions. They come as: Hardin Marine, M/T (Mickey Thompson), Holley or Edelbrock. These valve covers measure very close to the stock valve covers @ 2 3/4" in height. If you are concerned with roller rocker interference, do a search on here. Key in on Mark (Cutlassefi), he has commented numerous times about the locks being the interference point, not the arms. He has stated that shorter ones are available from what I remember. The other option would be thicker/ doubled up gaskets or spacers. Here's some photos-
HolleyVC.jpg
HardinMarineVC.jpg
MTVC-1.jpg
EdelbrockVC.jpg
All these covers range in price from $50 up to $400. From what I've seen the Edelbrocks are the rarest and it seems the Hardin Marine no one wants for their car. The Holley's would be the next least common. Price is always determined by rarity and condition. Be careful about purchasing these covers with a fresh thick coat of paint. You may strip the paint to find cracks in the corners. They are kind of thin and fragile. Here's some current listings:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mickey-Thomp...39145a&vxp=mtr
http://www.ebay.com/itm/OLDSMOBILE-M...1bd42a&vxp=mtr
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mickey-Thomp...b68168&vxp=mtr

Next up are the heavy sand cast valve covers that were made in aluminum and magnesium. They com in block or script "Oldsmobile" lettering, Mondello, Batten or Rocket Racing.
mondelloVC.jpg
Polishedscript.jpg
OldsmobileblockVC.jpg
BattenVC.jpg

My favorite are the script covers, and they're not that hard to find. They are 4 3/4" tall. Here's a couple more listings:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-Pe...c4f451&vxp=mtr
http://www.ebay.com/itm/OLDSMOBILE-T...3f63f2&vxp=mtr
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mondello-Old...fbd2d4&vxp=mtr
Old January 8th, 2014, 09:12 PM

More options

Personally I like the odd ball valve covers that you don't see all the time like the "Sharp" ones-
sharpVC.jpg

You could try to contact our very own "Hairy Olds" to see if he still has any available-
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ve-covers.html

Another old school looking cover is the finned Weiand-
WeiendVC.jpg
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Weiand-wiand...33dc03&vxp=mtr

Seems like a lot of racers are switching over to the aluminum sheet metal fabricated covers. These provide a clean look and save weight. The most important thing to look for in these is quality of construction. Make sure the seeling rail is thick enough with accurate hole placement and also take a good look at the welds. Ussually you get what you pay for. The fabbed covers on Ebay selling for close to $200 have welds that look like bird do do. A third grader could have done better, and probably does in China. Well here's some examples and sources-

WiseVC.jpg

Raceprovenmotorsvc.jpg

http://www.reallysimplepress.com/rac...ve-Covers.html

http://highperformanceolds.com/phpbb...hp?f=28&t=2772

http://wiseperformanceengineering.vp.../Products.html

http://www.rocketracingperformance.c..._eaf7176a.html

Well that's all I've got for you guys right now. I hope this helps for anyone really looking for a set. By the way, I have polished a few sets myself. It's a real time consuming PITA. There's a guy from Ohio named Andy Tants, he goes by (Baddd andy) on the web. He was booted from this forum. He polishes valve covers and intakes. He speaks his mind. I've never had a problem with him and he does pretty good work for what he charges. Here's his contact information if you're interested-

ALUMINUM POLISHING SERVICES
614-531-0180 VALVECOVERS@LIVE.COM
He also said Classic Oldsmobile is a waste of bandwidth. I got a kick out of that.
Old January 9th, 2014, 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by Shradezz70S
does not look like anyone of these guys have A/C or a 11 inch brake booster..
Stock 11" booster will not work with the taller covers, I had to get a 7" and its very close even with that. Best bet for your goals would be spacers.
Old January 9th, 2014, 08:52 AM

I run the double gaskets with roller rockers and stock valve covers. 455 in a 72 Cutlass. It fits tight but I'm still able to remove the valve covers in the bay. A/C and alternator brackets fit fine.
Old January 9th, 2014, 10:21 AM

You posted a picture and a link to Race Proven Motors. Do they in fact build a sheet metal valve cover for a big block Olds application?

Personally I like the odd ball valve covers that you don't see all the time like the "Sharp" ones-

You could try to contact our very own "Hairy Olds" to see if he still has any available-
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ve-covers.html

Another old school looking cover is the finned Weiand-

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Weiand-wiand...33dc03&vxp=mtr

Seems like a lot of racers are switching over to the aluminum sheet metal fabricated covers. These provide a clean look and save weight. The most important thing to look for in these is quality of construction. Make sure the seeling rail is thick enough with accurate hole placement and also take a good look at the welds. Ussually you get what you pay for. The fabbed covers on Ebay selling for close to $200 have welds that look like bird do do. A third grader could have done better, and probably does in China. Well here's some examples and sources-

http://www.reallysimplepress.com/rac...ve-Covers.html

http://highperformanceolds.com/phpbb...hp?f=28&t=2772

http://wiseperformanceengineering.vp.../Products.html

http://www.rocketracingperformance.c..._eaf7176a.html

Well that's all I've got for you guys right now. I hope this helps for anyone really looking for a set. By the way, I have polished a few sets myself. It's a real time consuming PITA. There's a guy from Ohio named Andy Tants, he goes by (Baddd andy) on the web. He was booted from this forum. He polishes valve covers and intakes. He speaks his mind. I've never had a problem with him and he does pretty good work for what he charges. Here's his contact information if you're interested-

ALUMINUM POLISHING SERVICES
614-531-0180 VALVECOVERS@LIVE.COM
He also said Classic Oldsmobile is a waste of bandwidth. I got a kick out of that.
Old January 9th, 2014, 10:34 AM

I answered my own question, RPM or Race proven motors does not make a cover for Olds!

Originally Posted by real57vetteguy
You posted a picture and a link to Race Proven Motors. Do they in fact build a sheet metal valve cover for a big block Olds application?
Old January 9th, 2014, 12:01 PM

Link

I answered my own question, RPM or Race proven motors does not make a cover for Olds!

Yeah I'm sorry. I posted that link to show the quality of welds versus some of the junk on Ebay. This morning I spoke with Jeff Schoffstall from Procomp Electronics @ 909-605-1123. They offer aluminum sheet metal fabricated valve covers for about $125. They have plenty available, but are not drilled for breathers or PCV valves or any grommets. If any body buys a set, mention my name - Dave Meyer. I may set up an account with them. I told him I was going to try to put the word out.
Old January 9th, 2014, 12:45 PM

Yeah I'm sorry. I posted that link to show the quality of welds versus some of the junk on Ebay. This morning I spoke with Jeff Schoffstall from Procomp Electronics @ 909-605-1123. They offer aluminum sheet metal fabricated valve covers for about $125. They have plenty available, but are not drilled for breathers or PCV valves or any grommets. If any body buys a set, mention my name - Dave Meyer. I may set up an account with them. I told him I was going to try to put the word out.

Do you have any pictures of the ProComp valve covers? It is my understanding the poor quality poor weld covers on E-bay are the procomp valve covers.????
Old January 9th, 2014, 03:41 PM

Bummed out

Do you have any pictures of the ProComp valve covers? It is my understanding the poor quality poor weld covers on E-bay are the procomp valve covers.????
I received an e-mail about 3:00 this afternoon including the photo I asked for from Procomp Electronics. All I can say is, this picture speaks for itself. I guess you get what you pay for. I take it back about what I said earlier about being welded by an eight year old Asian. Looks like they hired Stevie Wonder to do their welding. He doesn't need a mask for eye protection, so they saved a lot of money there, and are turning the savings over to you. These are the ones you see listed for $200 on Ebay. Sorry guys-
2e3e3140-e29a-472a-99ca-131b5df7ad47.png
Old January 11th, 2014, 08:51 AM

any clue where to get the fabricated valve covers in the 4th picture down?
FCR - so good luck. A member on ROP has a set I've tried to buy from him, no dice!

Just as an FYI to anybody reading this thread, the tall Oldsmobile cast covers WILL clear a dual 9" booster with a small block. And I can install/remove them over my HS rockers without having to loosen the booster. It's tight, but possible.
Old January 14th, 2014, 06:42 AM

I received an e-mail about 3:00 this afternoon including the photo I asked for from Procomp Electronics. All I can say is, this picture speaks for itself. I guess you get what you pay for. I take it back about what I said earlier about being welded by an eight year old Asian. Looks like they hired Stevie Wonder to do their welding. He doesn't need a mask for eye protection, so they saved a lot of money there, and are turning the savings over to you. These are the ones you see listed for $200 on Ebay. Sorry guys-
Moroso will fabricate the 5 bolt or 10 bolt Olds covers for 325.00, they look AWESOME but there is a 5 week lead time! I am really looking for a nice set of covers. I have a set of Sharp covers I need to get rid of!
Old January 22nd, 2016, 08:49 AM

You could use spacers to retain the stock valve covers. There's a company in Round Lake IL that makes some. Others have them as well. I have some Holleys or MTs all polished up I could sell you. Seems like a lot of guys are going with the sheet metal fabbed covers lately. Make sure you have clearance by the brake booster and heater box. You may also want to make sure your brackets for all the engine accessories will fit with taller valve covers. Here's some engine shots to drool over-

My junk-
Old March 9th, 2016, 05:25 AM

Bump - does anyone have a picture of the Moroso fabricated covers?
Old March 9th, 2016, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Rick Finsta
Bump - does anyone have a picture of the Moroso fabricated covers?
Only pic I have on my computer. These have custom engraving with a design that I drew up.
Old June 16th, 2016, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by chadman
Only pic I have on my computer. These have custom engraving with a design that I drew up.
are you supposed to use the stock valve cove bolts with this kind of cover?

can't really tell if you need longer bolts or if the stock bolts just slide in the holes and you only need a long screwdriver.

Last edited by EightballZ; June 16th, 2016 at 01:17 PM.
Old June 16th, 2016, 11:18 AM

FWIW I run Harland sharp roller rockers under stock valve covers. The non stepped -or notched ones. Interior baffles are removed. they fit just fine on a AC and PDB 70 442
Old July 14th, 2019, 01:55 PM

Alternator bracket

All-- This might have been addressed somewhere, but I couldn't find it: With the tall valve covers, as some of you mentioned, the alternator bracket does not reach. Do you have to have one fabricated or is there an aftermarket bracket that you guys know of? Thanks in advance.
Old July 15th, 2019, 07:28 AM
Beer Connoisseur

Originally Posted by Unknowing
All-- This might have been addressed somewhere, but I couldn't find it: With the tall valve covers, as some of you mentioned, the alternator bracket does not reach. Do you have to have one fabricated or is there an aftermarket bracket that you guys know of? Thanks in advance.
CVF Racing alternator bracket, high quality and made in USA. https://cvfracing.com

Old July 15th, 2019, 02:51 PM

Wow, that looks fantastic. Thank you so much.