Rocker arms

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2021, 07:19 AM

Rocker arms

I have a 400 engine with factory C heads and trying to find full roller rocker arms, the rocker pad has not been machine and stud hole is 5/16 . I now have guide plate and conversion stud 5/16 into head and 3/8 for the rocker I bought Harland sharp S4003 and they came into contact with the stud, what will work, I do not want to remove the heads again what are you guys using any suggestions thanks
Old May 19th, 2021, 07:40 AM
Old(s) Fart

Not sure you can use full roller rockers with those studs. The larger roller bearing means that you need more clearance under the rocker, and aluminum rockers require a thicker cross section as well. These conversion studs are designed for the steel roller tip rockers that use the Chevy-style pivot *****. If you get a longer pushrod to fix the interference, you will likely mess up rocker geometry. I've had some success using the Crane36655-16 conversion studs, as they don't use the hex. You pick up a little more clearance that way. The small flange on the stud fits down into the guide plate.

Old May 19th, 2021, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Not sure you can use full roller rockers with those studs. The larger roller bearing means that you need more clearance under the rocker, and aluminum rockers require a thicker cross section as well. These conversion studs are designed for the steel roller tip rockers that use the Chevy-style pivot *****. If you get a longer pushrod to fix the interference, you will likely mess up rocker geometry. I've had some success using the Crane36655-16 conversion studs, as they don't use the hex. You pick up a little more clearance that way. The small flange on the stud fits down into the guide plate.

Thanks Joe I actually have a set of crane gold roller rocker arms for a 7/16 stud and just found a set of older 5/16 into head and 7/16 stud that I think will work the only concern I have is the flange area covering the guide plate is not vary large but it looks as though they will work .