Reinstalling engine Custom Cruiser

Search this Thread

Old August 12th, 2014, 11:01 PM

Reinstalling engine Custom Cruiser

Hello. I just rebuilt my 455 in the Custom Cruiser and just got it back in the car, so i am in the process of putting everything back together.

Some things i just cant seem to remember, cables and such. I have to photograph some for you, but i can ask the things i remember first.

*The big ground cable from the battery, where is that supposed to connect?

*And how is the radiator mounted? There are some bolts on rubber dampers behind it but i cant find any mounts on the radiator, and as far as i can remember i didnt have any when i dismounted it.

Is it only held by the top "cover"?

appreciate the help
Old August 13th, 2014, 02:57 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Battery ground goes to "stud" head bolt on the left side of the engine.

The radiator sits in two rubber pads, and is held in place by two other rubber pads at the top, which are retained by the top cover plate, which is screwed to the radiator core support.

And I used to have a Mercedes 190b, too. One of my favorite cars ever.

- Eric
Old August 17th, 2014, 12:15 AM

Thank you! Almost finished now.

Oh really? Yes they are very nice cars, that one im never going to sell. Ive been driving it for 2 years now but now im going to tear it down, full restoration.

Back to the tank, how should i set my ignition timing?
I heard i should set it somewhat advanced? Not very good with this.

Engibe setup if you dont know:
-73 block, stock bore, stroke
Stock pistons (smog) and rods
Ported big valve C-heads
Mild lunati cam
Edelbrock trueroller
Edelbrock performer intake
Edelbrock 750 four barrel
Edelbrock air filter
Thunder HEI distributor with 8mm accel cables
Flowtech full-lenght headers
Dual 3" exhaust, no mufflers
Old August 19th, 2014, 06:49 AM

What colour is the kickdown cable supposed to be? Black/Orange?
Old August 19th, 2014, 10:44 PM

One more thing, dont know if a should make a separate thread for this. But ill try here first. Does anyone have a scheme for how to connect the fan? I mean the blower, inside the car. For heat and cold air.

Dont really know what it is called

Mine just stopped working on the flipswitch inside the car. So now i have a flipswitch under the bonnet wich works, kind of...
Old August 21st, 2014, 11:38 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by Odmark
What colour is the kickdown cable supposed to be? Black/Orange?
The wire for the electrical kickdown on the TH400 and TH375 is a pink supply wire to the switch above the gas pedal, then an orange wire to the firewall connector, then a black with orange stripe to the transmission.

Originally Posted by Odmark
Does anyone have a scheme for how to connect the fan? I mean the blower, inside the car.

Mine just stopped working on the flipswitch inside the car. So now i have a flipswitch under the bonnet wich works, kind of...
If your car has heat only, then the wiring diagram for the blower is part of the wiring diagram in the Chassis Service Manual.
If your car has A/C, then you have to look in the Air Conditioning chapter of the CSM for the diagram.

The 1973 CSM that is available on WildAboutCars has a very poor quality black and white scan of the whole-car wiring schematic, so it is reasonable to look at the schematics for earlier cars for much of the information, BUT the '73 fullsize cars have some wiring details not present in the earlier cars, including in the A/C system (for instance, there is a relay that turns the fan off when set to Low speed at engine temperatures below 40°F, but leaves it on Low all the time at higher temperatures), so you really need to look at both.
Regardless, the separate diagrams for the A/C wiring are black and white in all of the books, they were not made in color.

Specifically, there are different diagrams for each Heat / A/C setting in the '73 CSM, starting with Figure 1B-13 on page 1B-12, and continuing after that.

Here is the first diagram, showing the OFF position:

As always, it is best to have an original paper copy of the Chassis Service Manual, but the ones on WAC can be very helpful in a pinch, especially since shipping across the ocean is time consuming and expensive.

- Eric
Attached Images