Which radiator cap for coolant recovery tank?

Search this Thread

Old September 25th, 2014, 09:13 AM

Which radiator cap for coolant recovery tank?

Took the 442 for a cruise to the drive in. When I got home it puked on the garage floor...first time that has happened since back on the road. I have been pushing it a little harder on each outing . Reservoir may be a band aid on a bigger issue....so I'll work on that. Meantime, I'm going to add a coolant recovery tank. What year did they start using them so I get a proper radiator cap?
I am thinking of getting this one from Advance and fab up a bracket.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Recovery.jpg (8.2 KB, 57 views)
Old September 25th, 2014, 09:31 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

How high are you filling the radiator?

- Eric
Old September 25th, 2014, 09:42 AM

About half an inch above the tubes. Not to the top for sure.
Old September 25th, 2014, 09:52 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I think that's still too high.

If you look at the side of the tank below the filler, you will see a line and embossed letters, which say "FILL LEVEL."

- Eric
Old September 25th, 2014, 11:33 AM

I went home at lunch and looked at my radiator...the fins and tubes are horizontal duh. I see the mark for cold fill, it measures about 4" below the very top where the cap mounts. I had it about 2 inches below the top so that was too much coolant. The level just now (after vomiting last night) was about 9" down. I'll bring it back up and try again. Thanks Eric.
Old September 25th, 2014, 11:47 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Glad to help out.

It is of course possible that this won't completely fix it, but if it doesn't then there is probably another underlying problem, which will need to be diagnosed.

You should also make sure that you are using a "Pressure" radiator cap, and not a "Pressure / Vacuum" cap.
The "Pressure" cap is made for your application, and will release excess pressure, but will not allow air in.
The "Pressure / Vacuum" cap is made for use with an overflow tank, so that the engine will suck coolant back out of the overflow tank as it cools.

- Eric
Old September 25th, 2014, 11:55 AM
Administrator

These cars were designed to run without an overflow, and then the epa and the animal activists decided that a coolant overflow tank was necessary. With that said an overflow tank is an inexpensive mod that is beneficial in the long run and makes it easier to check and maintain proper coolant levels.
Old September 25th, 2014, 12:25 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Tom442
Took the 442 for a cruise to the drive in. When I got home it puked on the garage floor...first time that has happened since back on the road. I have been pushing it a little harder on each outing . Reservoir may be a band aid on a bigger issue....so I'll work on that. Meantime, I'm going to add a coolant recovery tank. What year did they start using them so I get a proper radiator cap?
I am thinking of getting this one from Advance and fab up a bracket.
If your question concerns vented vs. non-vented radiator caps, it depends on whether you have a simple overflow tank or a return tank. The non-vented cap simply lets the overheated coolant out, period. You would use this cap with either an overflow tube or a non-return overflow tank. A vented cap allows the coolant to be sucked back into the radiator once it cools and must only be used with a return tank.

When you use a non-vented cap, you must keep the coolant level in the radiator down at the fill line embossed on the tank to provide expansion room. When you use a vented cap and return tank, you should fill the radiator to the top (but don't overfill the return tank when cold).

Note that a simple overflow tank (ie, a "catch can") will have the inlet from the radiator overflow at the top of the tank. There is no guarantee that the tube from the radiator would actually be immersed in liquid if you used a vented cap and the radiator tried to suck the coolant back in. A return tank has the inlet at the bottom (or else has an internal tube from the cap down to the bottom, like the windshield washer tank). This ensures that there will be liquid sucked back into the radiator.
Old September 25th, 2014, 01:33 PM

The Dorman 603-001 says it is a "Engine Coolant Recovery Tank". I was assuming it was a return tank and not simply a "catch can". As Joe says, I was under the impression I need a "vented" cap allowing coolant to be drawn back into the radiator. Their image shows an inlet at the bottom so I think it allows for transfer of coolant? So I need that vented cap.
Thanks again Eric, Joe and oldcutlass for your help!

I can't wait for the kid at Advance to ask me what year car this is for and if it is front wheel drive when I ask for a vented cap

http://www.dormanproducts.com/itemde...SEName=603-001
Old September 25th, 2014, 01:43 PM
Old(s) Fart

Their image shows an inlet at the bottom so I think it allows for transfer of coolant? So I need that vented cap.
Correct.
Old September 26th, 2014, 03:23 AM

'71 was the first year for a coolant recovery tank in a Cutlass, #410008 will fit in a '68 or '69 ....'73 tank style changed considerably.
Old October 9th, 2014, 07:48 PM

The 73-76 eldorados have a nice factory tank which looks almost olds... Bend the mounting tab and it looks very close to stock.
Old October 9th, 2014, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
These cars were designed to run without an overflow, and then the epa and the animal activists decided that a coolant overflow tank was necessary. With that said an overflow tank is an inexpensive mod that is beneficial in the long run and makes it easier to check and maintain proper coolant levels.
I think your second reason, and I might add keeping people from burning themselves opening up a radiator cap, are more the reasons for the coolant overflow tank, not the epa and aa. But then I have been known to be wrong.
Old October 9th, 2014, 10:09 PM

The Dorman 603-001 says it is a "Engine Coolant Recovery Tank". I was assuming it was a return tank and not simply a "catch can". As Joe says, I was under the impression I need a "vented" cap allowing coolant to be drawn back into the radiator. Their image shows an inlet at the bottom so I think it allows for transfer of coolant? So I need that vented cap.
Thanks again Eric, Joe and oldcutlass for your help!

I can't wait for the kid at Advance to ask me what year car this is for and if it is front wheel drive when I ask for a vented cap

http://www.dormanproducts.com/itemde...SEName=603-001
I just installed that coolant tank on my 67 Cutlass. I bought it from Summit for $6.97. I already had a radiator cap and just routed my overflow hose to the bottle. Now that I know it is working correctly I'll get an AC radiator cap.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
photo (45).jpg (22.5 KB, 89 views)
Old June 8th, 2015, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Glad to help out.

You should also make sure that you are using a "Pressure" radiator cap, and not a "Pressure / Vacuum" cap.
The "Pressure" cap is made for your application, and will release excess pressure, but will not allow air in.
The "Pressure / Vacuum" cap is made for use with an overflow tank, so that the engine will suck coolant back out of the overflow tank as it cools.

- Eric

I'm reviving this old thread because I want to add a coolant recovery tank on my Starfire. Though the OP asked which radiator CAP to use I didn't see an answer except the above quote. How exactly do I know if a new cap is the Pressure/Vacuum type that I need?
Old June 8th, 2015, 01:57 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Stant specifies a #10230 cap for your car (and for most of the rest of our cars, as well).

For cars with recovery tanks starting in the mid-'70s, they specify a #10231.

The 10230 is a pressure-only cap:

The 10231 is a pressure / vacuum cap:

Notice that the 10231 says "VENTED" on it, while the 10230 does not.

- Eric
Old June 8th, 2015, 02:02 PM

Perfect! Thanks Eric.
Old June 8th, 2015, 02:03 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Any time...
Old June 8th, 2015, 03:04 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Assembled / stamped in Meheeko, advertised in Russkie or Polski? Where on earth do you source your pics from?
Old June 8th, 2015, 03:36 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by Allan R
... advertised in Russkie or Polski? Where on earth do you source your pics from?
It's Russian. Poles use the Roman alphabet.

I source them from my good old friend Mr Google - used the picture that best showed the stamped text.

- Eric
Old October 25th, 2023, 09:39 AM

Just out of curisity, what is the maximum pressure the coolant can go before the head gasket is likely to blow in case the radiator cap failed?
Old October 25th, 2023, 10:42 AM

I think the radiator or thermostat gasket or hoses would go first. This thread is 8 years old.
Old October 27th, 2023, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by matchek
Just out of curisity, what is the maximum pressure the coolant can go before the head gasket is likely to blow in case the radiator cap failed?
Stant 20231 is rated at 16lbs. Cranking cylinder pressure (compression) is 150-210 lbs. When the fuel mixture explodes in the cylinders the cylinder pressure gets much higher. So unless you've welded your radiator cap closed, I don't think you have to worry about coolant overwhelming you head gasket. Even then, I am sure your radiator, heater core or various heater hoses will pop a leak before you get anywhere near that pressure.