pulleys and brackets oh my!

Search this Thread

Old August 23rd, 2014, 09:14 PM

pulleys and brackets oh my!

Same car, same motor. 68 Cutlass 455. It's got air just not on it yet and I think I need to mount power steering and alternator on the left, power steering down low alt On top, I think. What brackets do I need and where do I get them. I have the pulleys and they line up but...I also have the air brackets but after reading some other threads on here it might be a while before I rebuild the compressor. Trying to stuff the motor tomorrow but it might be better to wait till I get the brackets handled. Thank again everybody, you guys have been a help.
Old August 23rd, 2014, 10:19 PM

You may be in for a bit of a challenge. I suggest you place an ad in the parts wanted section. You should know that Olds used three different length water pumps. You should measure yours, to let everyone know what you have, that they are trying to match up to. You should post what year, and model car the 455 came out of. You will probably want to find a complete set from one person that has stripped an engine.
Old August 24th, 2014, 01:49 PM

I wouldn't hesitate installing the motor first. The brackets are easy to paint and mount once the engine is in the car.

I agree with 67 Cutlass Freak. I'm sure there's several members here with the brackets you need, but a little more information will help you get the right parts.

John
Old August 24th, 2014, 02:59 PM
Old(s) Fart

Brackets to mount the alternator and PS pump on the driver's side are just stock A/C brackets. If that's what you have, use them. Be sure to get the spacers on the PS pump bracket properly and get the pump belt tensioned correctly to avoid squeals. Otherwise, what's the problem. No, you will not put excess wear on the water pump.
Old August 24th, 2014, 04:17 PM

Have the power steering pump and mount off of a mid 70's 350, also the pulleys. If it matters the water pump is 6" from the block face to the front of the water pump hub. Thinking I might just need a left side top alternator mount. Another thing, I think I need some stock valve covers as the tall Moroso the "motor builder" told me to run to clear the poly locks crash into the suitcase, anybody else have any experience with this?
Old August 24th, 2014, 04:24 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by hilbily
Have the power steering pump and mount off of a mid 70's 350, also the pulleys. If it matters the water pump is 6" from the block face to the front of the water pump hub. Thinking I might just need a left side top alternator mount. Another thing, I think I need some stock valve covers as the tall Moroso the "motor builder" told me to run to clear the poly locks crash into the suitcase, anybody else have any experience with this?
If by "suitcase" you mean the HVAC box, yes that is normal. If you are planning to use doubled gaskets to clear the rockers, you'll want the notched covers used on the factory big block cars.

The 6" water pump and matching pulleys are correct for A/C. The PS pump brackets are all interchangeable. You'll want the alternator bracket for A/C cars, which should be easy to find as most folks throw them away after converting to the non-A/C brackets.
Old August 24th, 2014, 04:48 PM

Thanks Joe Padavano, you just have me a slight ray of hope.
Old August 24th, 2014, 07:34 PM

Now I'm really confused. Been on eBay looking for an alt bracket and a seller showed me a lower alt bracket, two pieces. With 68 Cutlass with a 455 and air I was told the power steering and alternator go on the left with the alternator on top and the power steering below it. Thanks. Gil...
Old August 29th, 2014, 12:16 AM

Gil,
where are the brkt's that came with the car?
A car with fac A/C will have alt and P/S on the driver side.
A/C pump will be on the passenger side.
Like I said, you should find the cast alum valve covers. They will clear A/C box.
Your water pump and pulley's should match together.

Gene
Old August 29th, 2014, 09:17 PM

The car didn't have a motor in it. It came with a mid 70's 350, I seen the lower end and didn't like. I think I can make the power steering fit, the alt was a multi piece bracket that had a broken aluminum piece that was unusable. I'm going to try to fit the steering tomorrow. I've got a stock pair of big block covers coming. The motor had nothing on it, just a short block. Hopefully, I'm thinking all I'm going to need is the alt bracket.
Old August 29th, 2014, 09:39 PM

Gil, the pictures I posted in your other thread are the correct alternator brackets for a 1968-72 with AC. The aluminum one is late 1970's maybe into 80's and I've heard of a couple of them breaking.

John