Pre oiling newly rebuilt 455

Search this Thread

Old June 10th, 2013, 11:53 PM

Pre oiling newly rebuilt 455

My 68 455 has been sitting about three years since being rebuilt. Intake, exhaust and spark plug holes have been plugged to prevent any dirt/dust intrusion. It is in my shop and covered with heavy towels. It was rebuilt by a reputable shop (see copy of build receipt) and does have all bearing surfaces coated with assembly lube. It has high zinc break-in oil in the pan. The rebuilder set the engine at TDC on #1 cyl. when it was delivered. I'm within a month or so of installing the engine in my 47 convertible.

The engine is still on its stand and I have not spun the oil pump to pre oil.

What I've heard is that you need to pull the distributor and using a hex extension on a drill, put the drill in reverse since Oldsmobile rotates counter clockwise (?) and just spin the drill until you see oil in the rocker chambers.

I don't want to screw this up so I'm wondering if it is really this easy or is there more to it to be sure engine oil is everywhere it needs to be at startup? Thanks for any guidance.
Jerry
ps. I did search this forum and did not find a prior thread explaining this. Maybe it is so basic everyone else understands it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
455 build sheet.jpg (49.9 KB, 42 views)
Old June 11th, 2013, 04:14 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

It's that easy, so long as you don't lose the 5/16" socket down in the oil pan (duct tape helps).

Use a big ½" drill, definitely in the Reverse direction, and spin for a few minutes until oil comes out the ends of the pushrods.

Keep track of the direction your distributor was in, so you can replace it the same way.

- Eric
Old June 11th, 2013, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
It's that easy, so long as you don't lose the 5/16" socket down in the oil pan (duct tape helps).

Use a big ½" drill, definitely in the Reverse direction, and spin for a few minutes until oil comes out the ends of the pushrods.

Keep track of the direction your distributor was in, so you can replace it the same way.

- Eric
Great tip on duct tape on the socket. Dropping something down that hole turns a quick easy job into a real PITA. Ask me how I know?
Old June 11th, 2013, 04:32 AM

I also like to rotate the engine over in 90 degree increments with a breaker bar while priming to expose all of the oil passages.
Old June 11th, 2013, 05:46 AM
Mr. Johnson

x2 on the tape or locking extension. I have one that's long enough to stick out of the block so if it comes off at the drill it won't fall in either. Make sure to get the pressure up a few times also.
Old June 11th, 2013, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by MDchanic

- Eric
Old June 11th, 2013, 08:51 AM
Ben

just remember to put your oil pressure sender or a plug in its hole at the front of the block or you'll get an oil gyser... guess how i learned that one! LOL.
Old June 11th, 2013, 09:17 AM

Thanks for that reminder Ben. Since the photo of the engine was taken I have installed oil pressure and coolant temp senders.
Jerry
Old June 11th, 2013, 09:30 AM

turning the engine will also ensure that the valves are not stuck from sitting, rusted rings to cylinder wall, stuff like that. Storage can do that.
Old June 11th, 2013, 10:38 AM

X2 of rotating the assembly as well with a breaker bar. Mine is setting as well waiting for the install. I do this once a month.
Old June 11th, 2013, 12:25 PM

Hi Pat, I never thought about periodically rotating the engine. I'm thinking "Too soon old to late smart" applies to me in this case. Heh, you can teach an old dog new tricks.
Jerry
Old June 11th, 2013, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by 47 Convertible
Hi Pat, I never thought about periodically rotating the engine. I'm thinking "Too soon old to late smart" applies to me in this case. Heh, you can teach an old dog new tricks.
Jerry

That's why I chose that as my sig line. If the mistake has been made I have done it at least once when it comes to my cars