Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

Oiling, or not oiling--ready to drive!

Old August 31st, 2012, 07:44 AM
Jen

Oiling, or not oiling--ready to drive!

The 55 is running amazingly well, besides the whole not oiling part. So, tomorrow I put in the push rods and lifters from Tony at Ross Racing and will hopefully be good to go. Anyone done this before? Anything I should be aware of? Sounds quick and simple enough! I am feeling quite more experienced in top half engine fun these days. Put it on, take it off, repeat. Hopefully this is it for a while!
Old September 1st, 2012, 05:49 PM
Railroad Mike

push rods

Originally Posted by Jen
The 55 is running amazingly well, besides the whole not oiling part. So, tomorrow I put in the push rods and lifters from Tony at Ross Racing and will hopefully be good to go. Anyone done this before? Anything I should be aware of? Sounds quick and simple enough! I am feeling quite more experienced in top half engine fun these days. Put it on, take it off, repeat. Hopefully this is it for a while!
I am confused. How can it be running well if there is NO oil pressure???
DO NOT run the engine without oil pressure! It will ruin the engine and all the work you put into it!!
Installing llifters requires removing the intake and valve covers, remiving the rocker shaft (seems that you have experience there) and changing out the lifters and push rods. Re-install te rocker shaft and adjust valves after replacing the intake. Not rocket science, but time consuming. Check manual for valve setting.
Old September 1st, 2012, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by 55miketn
I am confused. How can it be running well if there is NO oil pressure???
DO NOT run the engine without oil pressure! It will ruin the engine and all the work you put into it!!
Installing llifters requires removing the intake and valve covers, remiving the rocker shaft (seems that you have experience there) and changing out the lifters and push rods. Re-install te rocker shaft and adjust valves after replacing the intake. Not rocket science, but time consuming. Check manual for valve setting.
If I remember right she had a couple dry valves, which might be what she meant by not oiling... If you haven't already, clean out the insides of the rocker shafts. In stock form, the rocker arms are not adjustable so there is no setting for it. While you are at it, make sure the oil return holes in the tops of the heads are clear, this lets the oil drain back into the pan. It really isn't hard stuff. The old lifters sometimes mushroom on the bottom, and can be tricky to remove from their bores... Just a head's up. I would break the new lifters in like a new cam. Run the engine at a constant 2000 rpm (this gets a good volume of oil to the cam) for 20 minutes. Make sure you use a break-in additive (contains lots of ZDDP) and change the oil immediately after. Good luck
Old September 8th, 2012, 07:38 AM
Railroad Mike

Thumbs up valve adj.

Originally Posted by oldsmobum
If I remember right she had a couple dry valves, which might be what she meant by not oiling... If you haven't already, clean out the insides of the rocker shafts. In stock form, the rocker arms are not adjustable so there is no setting for it. While you are at it, make sure the oil return holes in the tops of the heads are clear, this lets the oil drain back into the pan. It really isn't hard stuff. The old lifters sometimes mushroom on the bottom, and can be tricky to remove from their bores... Just a head's up. I would break the new lifters in like a new cam. Run the engine at a constant 2000 rpm (this gets a good volume of oil to the cam) for 20 minutes. Make sure you use a break-in additive (contains lots of ZDDP) and change the oil immediately after. Good luck
You are right! Thanks. I have not taken my engine apart, so I wasn't aware that there is no adj.. Seems like there should be. I have been a Chevy. and Ford man and they have adjustments. Can't figure why Olds. didn't??!! Never too old to learn!!
Old September 20th, 2012, 12:09 PM
Jen

Originally Posted by oldsmobum
Sorry, didn't check this for a while, too busy hot rodding!

Oil pressure is at 50 or above, so that wasn't the problem. Yes, by not oiling I meant no oil from the new rockers before or after the nice clean shiny heads went back on. So, Ross Racing provided me with four lifters and four push rods for the corners to oil whether it wanted to or not. And success! Now I can say I am an expert intake remover/replacer since I have done this task on my car and another 55 more than twice on each. I can also draw a diagram explaining how the top half of the engine works--what a great learning experience. and I am proud to say that I replaced the four lifters and push rods--ALL ALONE! Dad was impressed. Torque wrench posed some issues as the bolts had to be torqued to 70 lbs and I am lacking upper body strength, so It took me throwing my 140 lbs backward while standing under the hood, quite a sight I am sure. Only had about twenty bruises, well worth it though! This may not seem like a big deal to many, but this was my first bigger task without dad! Now I have to figure out why my drivers side front tire is wobbly slightly all of a sudden. Other than that, currently holding at fun driving time!
Old September 20th, 2012, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Jen

Oil pressure is at 50 or above, so that wasn't the problem. Yes, by not oiling I meant no oil from the new rockers before or after the nice clean shiny heads went back on. So, Ross Racing provided me with four lifters and four push rods for the corners to oil whether it wanted to or not. And success! Now I can say I am an expert intake remover/replacer since I have done this task on my car and another 55 more than twice on each. I can also draw a diagram explaining how the top half of the engine works--what a great learning experience. and I am proud to say that I replaced the four lifters and push rods--ALL ALONE! Dad was impressed. Torque wrench posed some issues as the bolts had to be torqued to 70 lbs and I am lacking upper body strength, so It took me throwing my 140 lbs backward while standing under the hood, quite a sight I am sure. Only had about twenty bruises, well worth it though! This may not seem like a big deal to many, but this was my first bigger task without dad! Now I have to figure out why my drivers side front tire is wobbly slightly all of a sudden. Other than that, currently holding at fun driving time!
Quite often if you get a wobble the tire is beginning to separate and get out of round, this won't fix it self and will probably get worse as time goes on, better get it checked out....Tedd

PS . it never ends does it.
Old September 20th, 2012, 07:07 PM
Collector of Stray 55's

Originally Posted by Jen

Very impressive Jen - kudos X 10

I bet that video of you torqueing would be viral on youtube
Old December 3rd, 2012, 03:15 PM
Jen

Driving fine....and I made it happen!

Jezebel and I are on to our next project, bent wheels, bearings, bushings and king pins. Yay! Kinda.

I love learning about everything that this girl throws at me, but I was having tons of fun being back on the road. However, I do already have the king pins and bearings, now just to track down one more wheel, maybe. I somehow ended up with two bent wheels after getting new shoes. My friend, Thom, was able to track down some replacement wheels...but the shop seems to have replaced one non-bent wheel, leaving one bent one still in place. Whew! Confused?

When the bent wheel was discovered, it was also noticed that I needed to replace some bushings. Then, when the wheels were being switched, the king pins and bearings were noticed. You know how these things go!?

I can't wait to see how she drives with a tuned up and tightened front end! Keeps getting better and better. Did you know air shocks require air? Gasp, it is true. That made a big difference, thanks dad!

Other things to note, Indian head gasket sealer: old school crazy, messy goopy stuff that I love.

Torque wrench usage: they should make these for those of us with less than amazing arm strength. I looked like a battered woman after that job.

Next, before starting a task, consult someone familiar with your particular engine.... For example, did you know that all the head bolts on a 324 rocket engine do not need to be loosened and re-torqued just to take the rocker arm assemblies off? Yeah, neither do most non-Olds people. Too bad Tony mentioned that after I had already done it. Teehee.

Lastly, sometimes dad's should think to tell their daughters really descriptive instructions when helping work on a car over the phone. Such as: after you start the car to see if it is oiling with your new push rods, you must rev the engine to build oil pressure. Slight oversight, but an important step. Lessons learned. Thanks to helping and patient friends for making this project successful!
Old December 3rd, 2012, 03:27 PM
Jen

http://55olds.blogspot.com/2012/11/pictures.html