Power steering pulley

Search this Thread

Old June 4th, 2011, 06:13 PM

Power steering pulley

I tried to get the pulley off my 70 442 power steering pump, had no luck at all. This is a AC car so it has the double pulley. There does not seem to be an obvious way to remove this pulley. The later pulleys have the slots or groove around the center for a puller. This pulley is keyed and has no way to get ahold of it. In the past I have tacked a large tall nut on the front and then screwed a bolt in and pushed the pulley off. I kind of hate to weld on this pulley although I may have wrecked it by trying to pull it with a 2 jaw puller. Any ideas????? Dave E
Old June 4th, 2011, 08:35 PM

Hi Dave
I just tried the search option and struck out. But the more I thought about it I'm sure this had been discussed before. I thought the answer was that this vintage only needed the big nut removed, then the pully should come off by hand without a puller. I think Joe P. and Randy both commented on this as they had experience with this task.

I just did a quick walk through of the clutter and counted three power steering pumps and pullies that should match yours. So if something did get damaged you can pick up a replacement when you stop by tomorrow. John
Old June 5th, 2011, 04:16 AM

Exclamation

DO NOT USE ANY TYPE OF PULLER!

Caps on for a reason.

You need to remove the ump from the car. Remove the nut.

Put on a sacrificial nut to protect the threads, and give it a few wacks with a hammer. It will pop off.
Old June 5th, 2011, 06:45 PM

Power steering pulley

Just an update, I did have the pump off by the way but that pulley was extremely tight! I tried a little heat and penetrant, no luck. These are supposed to be a slip fit. Finally I took a thick wall spacer about 2 inches long welded a 5/8 fine thread nut to the top of it, welded the spacer to the hub of the p/s pulley and used a puller bolt from another puller to remove it. I first tried to just spot it in 4 places thinking it would not take much, broke the spots right off, I ended up having to weld it pretty good. Once I got it off I cut the puller off and ground the pulley back smooth, now you cannot tell I ever welded on it. I still may opt for a new pulley or get one from my friend John who has 4 or 5 of them used! Anyway just thought someone might want to know how to get one off if it is siezed. Dave
Old June 5th, 2011, 06:57 PM

They are a press or interference fit, not a slip fit (assuming you mean it should go on an come off rather easily).
Old June 6th, 2011, 07:03 PM

Press fit?

Ah 70 post, the GM pumps which have a nut on the end of the shaft are not a press fit. Most of the other GM divisions used this same pump and pulley combo. the nut is there to hold the pulley on, there is no provision to pull it off like the later press fit types. That is why the shaft is keyed, to keep the pulley from spinning on the shaft. I have taken many of these apart and most of them come apart relatively easy but not this one. Dave
Old January 26th, 2020, 06:48 PM

Power Steerin pully extractor

Collet w/ 120 emery cloth gips flange of pully Aircraft clamps recomended...throw chineezed clamps at trash bin

This unit is for pre 68 P/S pulley removal but its throat is easily altred
Recent rash of pully pullin people tryin to pull one off lead to this recomendation
adheration to laws of physics recomended but not always necessitated

Groovy grooves in Collet cut at slight angle with more material removed from bottom than top of kurf...cut from ID to within .05 of OD but not through
Course I always sayz ....if it yourn , do whatchya wantoo...unless that pisses me off ...then i sayz do it somewhere else.....
Hopefully this will reduce my pully sales as th mountain has eroded to a pile & no longer believe I have a P/S pully or 2 for every pulley murder who has grown accustom to power steerin
..just every other one of em now.....

Last edited by rocketscientis; January 26th, 2020 at 07:08 PM. Reason: To edit