Piston ring question.

Search this Thread

Old July 15th, 2013, 10:26 AM

Piston ring question.

How do I identify the top and second compression rings. My instructions do not say. On one the side of the ring is black the other the side is the color of the cylinder bore. Stupid question but i had to stop assembling until I find out. Thanks for looking
Old July 15th, 2013, 11:02 AM

What brand and type of rings?
If the face of one of the rings is silver in color then that's the top ring.
They should all also be marked with the word "top" or an "o" to show which side goes up.
Second ring is just as important, especially if its a reverse bevel. Pix would be helpful as well.

Thanks.

Last edited by cutlassefi; July 15th, 2013 at 11:27 AM.
Old July 15th, 2013, 11:32 AM

I'm not sure what brand they are, they came as a set from Summit Racing, KB IC886 30 over pistons. They are in a plain white box and the instructions do not have a brand either. Yes one does have a shiny face. Thanks for the reply very helpfull! Also for a street car should I install the Cloyes Roller timing set in factory or advanced position?
I attached the Cam Card incase it's any help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
cam card.JPG (62.6 KB, 23 views)
Old July 15th, 2013, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Al2011
I'm not sure what brand they are, they came as a set from Summit Racing, KB IC886 30 over pistons. They are in a plain white box and the instructions do not have a brand either. Yes one does have a shiny face. Thanks for the reply very helpfull! Also for a street car should I install the Cloyes Roller timing set in factory or advanced position?
I attached the Cam Card incase it's any help.
That cam should have the 4 degrees advance ground in it, but you need to check it first. Don't assume.

And don't forget, there is an up and down side to the rings as well.
Old July 15th, 2013, 02:41 PM

I use some Hastings on a BB Chevy. They were in pockets, that said which was which. I did not look good or pay attention, as I was sure they were marked, and they were not. It was a Sat when I put the on the pistons, and the machine shop I bought them from wa closed, and my son and me wanted to get it done, and I assumed the one with the dot was the top, but it was not.The dot was to tell you which side up, not which ring. Learned the hard way, as car ran good, but burned more oil than it should. Ended up taking the motor out and reduing. Moral, is if not sure find out fore sure before you do. These were molly rings, and If I had thought more about it, I should have seen the molly ring was a different finish. Won't do that again.