PCV/VC breathers on 68 H/O

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2017, 08:23 AM

PCV/VC breathers on 68 H/O

Before I buy those fancy notched VCs I wanted to seek opinions : My overall plan is as noted here:

Originally Posted by ReallyWildStuff
Re: this 1977 B-body - I plan to use factory valve covers and the stock air cleaner with the 455 re: maintaining outward original appearance.

I was seriously considering adding a second snorkel onto that factory air cleaner and working out an OAI system a-la '68 H/O with A/C - probably concurrent with relocating the battery to the trunk. Gonna have to either ditch or relocate the EVAP canister for the PS hose in that setup. Would like to see the scoops in the turn signal holes of an 80-up B-body front bumper with all-black rub strip...
Question: "The '68 H/O had PCV in the passenger's side valve cover, and a single valve cover breather in the driver's side", is that correct?"

What I want to do is follow the '68 H/O setup re: OAI & carb plumbing. I think '68 & '69 W-25 setups could be just as appropriate to copy but I don't know how they compare to '68 H/O. This approach may allow me to source specific parts easier.

Question: Are there any known operational problems running dual-snorkel under the bumper OAI & PCV on the valve cover ("excessive pressure" or "blow by" or "something")? I notice that the factory eventually moved away from that setup with the demise of under-bumper scoops.

This is all happening with Edelbrock Performer intake that's already installed (fun fact: no boss for drilling the PCV into the intake next to the water hose clamp on this Edelbrock piece) so "factory correct a-la '68 455" is obviously not an Achievable Objective even past my blue paint and "regular" oil fill tube...a factory aluminum intake would be just what the Dr. ordered re: building an engine made out of all "Best Olds OEM parts" but that's not in the cards right now.

I got distracted in my research by EDIT "V-code" OAI setups that use two valve cover breathers and the intake-mounted PCV. I did put a Mondello "turkey tray" replacement underneath the intake and supposedly that prevents excessive oil pickup by an intake-mounted PCV...but again no boss on this intake so not going that direction.

I plan to create a "Major Build" post so I can consolidate my questions and document what's going on in one place. As it is I've been asking questions one-off and I appreciate the help I've been getting.

Thank you,

Brian in Houston

Last edited by ReallyWildStuff; May 22nd, 2017 at 09:21 AM. Reason: used wrong letter re: "V-code"
Old May 22nd, 2017, 08:39 AM
Old(s) Fart

I think you're waaaay overthinking this. Use the stock 68 setup. All 68-69 W-30s and 31s were configured the same as the 68 H/O (except, of course, the swapping sides for the PCV and breather tube). I don't know what this has to do with the valve covers, however. Notched or not, they still have the D-shaped cutouts for the breather or PCV grommets.
Old May 22nd, 2017, 08:51 AM

I am "checking my work" only re: the final product coming together the way I want, i.e. "accurate" to something I don't have access to.

You _are_ in fact the _head_ of the Truth Decay Enforcement Division, yes?
Old May 22nd, 2017, 09:09 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by ReallyWildStuff
I am "checking my work" only re: the final product coming together the way I want, i.e. "accurate" to something I don't have access to.

You _are_ in fact the _head_ of the Truth Decay Enforcement Division, yes?
Sorry, but I guess I didn't follow your first post with the nested quote. I got the impression you are fabricating some sort of dual-snorkel air cleaner for a 1977 B-body? What am I missing?
Old May 22nd, 2017, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Sorry, but I guess I didn't follow your first post with the nested quote. I got the impression you are fabricating some sort of dual-snorkel air cleaner for a 1977 B-body? What am I missing?
yes, that is what I am doing, and i want to use as many OEM parts as possible / look as stock as possible

this will be a functional analogue of the air cleaner on a '68 H/O (and as you said W-30 & W-31...I misspoke with "W-25", although those may be similar, I don't know.).

The stock '77 air cleaner has "one long snorkel on the driver's side"; the '68 has "two short snorkels". I don't want to pay for a '68 piece (I'm also running HEI, so running the older air cleaner would only introduce more hood clearance problems)...so I'm looking ahead to whether I will add a 2nd long snorkel to the passenger side of the '77 air cleaner...

or if instead a shorter one would be better re: clearing the A/C compressor...

which would end up looking like a mirror-image of the factory V-code setup I mentioned (although that had thru-the-hood OAI), which has dual breathers & PCV in the intake.

Confused? You won't be after the next episode of Soap.

Last edited by ReallyWildStuff; May 22nd, 2017 at 09:41 AM.