PCV valve questions 1964 starfire

Search this Thread

Old June 8th, 2017, 05:44 PM

PCV valve questions 1964 starfire

Can't find much on the PCV valve in the service Manuel. when I got this car there's a pipe running from the passenger side valve cover that goes straight to the ground. It looked like a hose but it is a pipe. I'm attaching pictures. There looks to be a place for a hose on the air cleaner. The last picture is from behind the carb. Not exactly sure what I'm like owing at. There's a stem coming up. It is capped with a little piece of rubber.
Old June 9th, 2017, 09:04 AM

Someone disconnected the original pcv valve and pipe from the valve cover to the air cleaner, threw away the valve and just created an old style draft tube.
Old June 11th, 2017, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by Don R.
Someone disconnected the original pcv valve and pipe from the valve cover to the air cleaner, threw away the valve and just created an old style draft tube.
should I try to remedy this? I feel like there might be bigger fish to fry for now. Are there any symptoms I should be looking for as a result.
Old June 12th, 2017, 10:27 AM

I have the 100 % CORRECT crankcase ventilation valve (It is a PRE!!! PCV - the "p" in PCV stands for "pre"...)
It fits the 1963 - 1964 Olds Full Size -- All -- Only --
It looks almost like a breather cap, but it is not....
I don't have new-fangled equipment to take pictures, but they are not expensive.... I only have 4 or 5 remaining....

You are welcome to call me -- Craig -- 516 - 485 - 1935... New York...
Old June 12th, 2017, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by mobileparts
I have the 100 % CORRECT crankcase ventilation valve (It is a PRE!!! PCV - the "p" in PCV stands for "pre"...)
I don't have new-fangled equipment to take pictures, but they are not expensive.... I only have 4 or 5 remaining....

And here I always thought the "p" stood for "positive?
Old June 12th, 2017, 06:23 PM
Oldsdruid

Since 64 Starfires did not have chrome valve covers my guess is someone put a set off a 61 or 62 on the car and used the earlier cars' road draft tube. Probably couldn't find a rubber grommet that would allow use of 63-4 style PCV.

The PCV flapper goes in RH valve cover. There is a curved metal tube goes from it to the hole in aircleaner snout. Airflow thru the snout lifts the flapper disc off its seat and pulls blowby gas back thru the carb for reburn. The PCV flapper also has a small vacuum hose connection that goes to the capped vacuum port on intake. At idle or other low airflow conditions vacuum lifts the flapper off the seat and blowby gets sucked into the intake for reburn. Yah, it's weird but it apparently worked well enough to satisfy the feds.
Old June 15th, 2017, 07:38 AM

are there schematics available to show how these are installed? Is this what it looks like?
Old June 18th, 2017, 07:03 AM

the picture I posted is what the parts stores bring up but I know the one your talking about. I'll try to give you a call later. My question is how would you even hook the one up the part store recommends. Is it made in such s way that you wouldn't need the little vacuum hose?
Old June 18th, 2017, 07:37 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Hillbilllystarfire
the picture I posted is what the parts stores bring up but I know the one your talking about. I'll try to give you a call later. My question is how would you even hook the one up the part store recommends. Is it made in such s way that you wouldn't need the little vacuum hose?
I guarantee you that the parts store has no clue what the original PCV valve looks like. You can use the modern style if you want - I did this on my 62 Olds. Simply find a grommet that lets you put the PCV valve in the valve cover and connect the other end of the valve to manifold vacuum (either at the base of the carb or at a manifold runner.

The original valve used the small vacuum hose to operate the valve itself based on pulses in the intake tract. The modern valve doesn't require that. Your call on which way you want to go.

The correct original valve looks like this. I guarantee it is not available at normal parts stores.

If you choose to use a modern PCV valve, I'd suggest using this style:

The larger diameter may fit right into the grommet on your valve cover. If not, you can get a push-in breather with a hose port and use that to connect the first style PCV valve you showed in line.

Old June 18th, 2017, 09:25 AM

Ordered a C
Originally Posted by joe_padavano
I guarantee you that the parts store has no clue what the original PCV valve looks like. You can use the modern style if you want - I did this on my 62 Olds. Simply find a grommet that lets you put the PCV valve in the valve cover and connect the other end of the valve to manifold vacuum (either at the base of the carb or at a manifold runner.

The original valve used the small vacuum hose to operate the valve itself based on pulses in the intake tract. The modern valve doesn't require that. Your call on which way you want to go.

The correct original valve looks like this. I guarantee it is not available at normal parts stores.

If you choose to use a modern PCV valve, I'd suggest using this style:

The larger diameter may fit right into the grommet on your valve cover. If not, you can get a push-in breather with a hose port and use that to connect the first style PCV valve you showed in line.

I'm going with CV606
Old June 20th, 2017, 04:26 PM

Joe P. with all the new equipment to the rescue -- that is why he is undisputedly -------------- T H E M A N --------- on this website.....

CV606 AC (and a couple other companies made it - Carter was one) is
100% for factory correct 1963 - 1964 Oldsmobile Full Size....
that's the one I have 4 or 5 left..... don't think that they are all that easily obtainable.......