oldsmobile 455 motor

Search this Thread

Old November 9th, 2011, 05:40 PM

Smile oldsmobile 455 motor

i have a motor stand fitted for chevy engines. i have used it to run many motors before installing them so im modifinig it to run both oldsmobile and chevy engines but i dont have my 455 engine mounts yet, so i need help. I have already modified the tranny bolt pattern to fit either chevy or olds. there are 3 bolt holes across each side of the oldsmobile block. going from the bell housing end i believe the motor mouts to the two rear bolts. so how far is it to the center of the motor mount to the rear where the tranny fits against. the chevy is 16" but i think the olds is less than that. also how wide is the motor mount between the ears of the mount. thank you
Old November 9th, 2011, 11:57 PM

The motor is in the car, so I couldn't get an exact measurement bellhousing to center of mount, but it's very nearly 12". You're correct, it's the rear two holes on the block, at least that's what my car is, and the distance between the ears on the mount where it mates to the frame mount is just a hair over 2 5/8". If I'm not mistaken, the frame mounts themselves were substantially narrower than this, maybe by as much as a quarter of an inch or more.
Old November 10th, 2011, 03:43 AM
Certifiable car addict...

The bellhousing pattern will be the same measurement at the Chebby. The transmissions will actually bolt up, but they only match 4 of the 6 holes. The top 2 (Highest & closest) are in the same location, as are the bottom 2 (lowest & widest) It's just the middle bolts on each side that do not have the same location.

For test stand purposes, any GM corporate trans pattern will work as long as you know you're only using 4/6 of the holes when bolting in a B/O/P/Caddy engine.

If you want to get really crafty with your stand.... They did make a "universal" version of the TH350 with all 8 bellhousing bosses in one case so that it could go behind any GM V8/V6 engine. I have a core for one of these I would come off of if you're interested.

Where in western PA are you located?

-Jeff
Old November 10th, 2011, 05:09 AM

If the 2 front mounting holes on the block are easier to mock-up on your stand,then you could use those,but when the mount is installed for the car,it goes on the rear holes.
Old November 10th, 2011, 01:57 PM

confused

GTI i only believe 2 of the 6 bolts will work, thats the bottom 2. the top two olds bolt holes are much higher and narrow than the top 2 on a chevy and the Olds middle bolts are more narrow than a chevy block.

Brian great idea that makes the difference from 4" to only 1". The info I see is that the olds center of the motor mount is 4" closes to the tranny than with a chevy, by using the front bolts its would be 1" farther away from the tranny than the chevy much easier to alter the motor stand 1" than 4". Thanks for the info.
Old November 10th, 2011, 01:59 PM

motor stand info

I do not run a tranny in the motor stand. I will inclose some pictures of my modifications.