Olds engine rebuild experts in WA or OR

Search this Thread

Old August 15th, 2009, 11:25 PM

Olds engine rebuild experts in WA or OR

Starting to plot the rebuild of my 68 455 for my 47 Convertible and have read the horror stories about rebuilders who didn't know all the Olds issues and screwed things up. I'd like to avoid that. A lot more I don't know about these engines than I do know so I need to be able to trust the rebuilder.

I live close to Portland OR. No one I've talked to locally seems to know anyone in the Pacific NW who might specialize in big block Olds engines.

Just planning a fairly mild street engine from a 2bbl 68 455 out of a Delta 88. I have a performer intake and a very nice correct year Qjet and an engine I heard run just before it was pulled. It sounded good and didn't smoke so I might get off fairly easily. Has it's original C heads. I'm thinking maybe a hydraulic 268H comp cam, magnum roller rockers and headers. If I can get by with the original pistons I'd settle for the 9.5:1 compression. If new pistons then around 10:1. It's going to get a 700 R4 ( I gave up on the std. trans. idea). and has a 3.25:1 GTO rear end.

I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who knows of reputable shops in the Pacific NW. with Olds experience. I'd also appreciate hearing from anyone with constructive critique of that engine plan, i.e., is there a better way to go for a fairly mild and dependable street engine.Thanks.
Jerry
Old August 16th, 2009, 07:17 AM

Engine build

There are a few things I'd recommend;

A 200-4R instead of the 700. It'll bolt right up to your 455 without an adaptor plate and the ratios are more evenly spaced.

Something other than the Comp 268. If it's the one I'm thinking of it's not a dual pattern. Olds engine especially, benefit from dual pattern cams, stock exhaust flow isn't the best, needs help. if you go to 10:1 you may need a bit more cam as well.

Don't forget a good ignition system too.

There's no real "trick" to rebuilding a stock or nearly stock Olds engine. You have some potentially different oiling issues but anyone here can help with that. The main thing is you get a machinist that gets the clearances etc. correct.
Old August 16th, 2009, 03:52 PM

Call Supercars Unlimited 503-641-1442 and ask who they use. They recommended a shop in the SW metro area but I don't rememeber the name.

Don
Old August 17th, 2009, 07:37 AM

I had mine built by Jim Green in Seattle. Did a great job and they understand Oldsmobiles
Old August 17th, 2009, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by citcapp
I had mine built by Jim Green in Seattle. Did a great job and they understand Oldsmobiles
Would that be Jim Green's Performance Center in Lynwood?
Jerry
Old August 17th, 2009, 08:07 PM

Yes thats correct. Been around for years and I have used them for a couple of engine builds
Old August 17th, 2009, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by citcapp
Yes thats correct. Been around for years and I have used them for a couple of engine builds
Thanks for confirming. I haven't used them but did look them up in internet yellow pages and just wanted to be sure that was the one.
Jerry
Old August 20th, 2009, 05:59 PM

Ask and You Shall Receive....Olds information

Thanks to the smart folks on this forum, I now have the names of two engine rebuilders in the Pacific NW who are experienced with Olds big blocks.

The closest to me is Steve's Precision Machining in the Portland area
The other is Jim Green's Performance Center in Lynwood (Seattle Metro area)

CitCapp has personal experience with Green's. Anyone in the group have experience with Steve's Precision Machining in the Portland area?

Jerry