Olds 455 Service Questions

Search this Thread

Old October 4th, 2012, 06:11 AM

Olds 455 Service Questions

Hey guys,

I'm just getting started on doing a full detail on my Ninety Eight's motor. In the process, I'm replacing the water pump and timing set and I had a few questions for you guys:

1) The harmonic balancer is original. How do I know if it's still ok to use or should I just replace it while I'm already in there?

2) If the balancer should be replaced, any suggestions on where to get one? I was thinking Rock Auto for everything but haven't used them yet so I'm not sure.

3) I'm going to repaint the motor and I want to get an aerosol paint that is actually close to the original blue (1976 455 by the way). Any suggestions on a source? Eastwood maybe?

4) The coolant is pretty murky and I'd really like to get it all flushed out. Without running the car, what is the best way to flush the cooling system? Are the block drain plugs a safe way to drain the block? I'll be pulling the radiator out and I can flush that on its own so my main concern is the block. I'll change the heater core too while I'm at it.

5) Anything else you guys think I should replace while doing the water pump, timing set and doing this full detailing?

As always, any and all advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks guys!

John
Old October 4th, 2012, 06:36 AM
Lance

Current thread on Olds blue engine paint.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ine-paint.html
Old October 4th, 2012, 09:58 AM

I always use distilled water. I dump the radiator, then refill with distilled water and run it until it's warm. I do this four or five times, until it drains clear, and then start filling with straight antifreeze. Depending on how big the system is versus how much you can drain out from the radiator, you may need to drain a little of the mix and add more antifreeze to get the proper ratio.
Old October 4th, 2012, 03:27 PM
Administrator

Just go out and buy a prestone flush kit after you get the motor running.
Old October 4th, 2012, 08:09 PM

I recommend an NOS damper or rebuilt factory unit [Damper Dudes, etc.] or a used original over Chinese Product likely to come from any parts store now.

Put a seal surface refreshment sleeve on it if need be- your local store or National Automotive Lines [$5 or so, better get 2-3 esp. if you don't have a special install tool- if you **** it during install, it's toasted].

You may wish to save the WP if it has factory casting ID's - harder to find now.

Use the commercial flush kit. Remove all block plugs and clean out the gunk behind them so they will drain.

Good time to replace all the freeze plugs you can get to. At least poke at 'em with a screwdriver, see if it goes right thru the rust.
Old October 16th, 2012, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Octania
I recommend an NOS damper or rebuilt factory unit [Damper Dudes, etc.] or a used original over Chinese Product likely to come from any parts store now.

Put a seal surface refreshment sleeve on it if need be- your local store or National Automotive Lines [$5 or so, better get 2-3 esp. if you don't have a special install tool- if you **** it during install, it's toasted].

You may wish to save the WP if it has factory casting ID's - harder to find now.

Use the commercial flush kit. Remove all block plugs and clean out the gunk behind them so they will drain.

Good time to replace all the freeze plugs you can get to. At least poke at 'em with a screwdriver, see if it goes right thru the rust.
Thanks! The water pump is not original so I'll definitely replace it.

As far as the block plugs, I've never had them out, is there a good chance they'll come out trouble free? The last thing I want is to snap one. I already pulled the radiator and got it rinsing nice and clean now. If I can pull the block plugs, I'd like to run water through the heater lines and block the water pump ports (that way I also rinse out the heater core too)...think that will do a fair job? I think I can get it pretty good and cleaned out and then once the car's up and running again, take it for some runs and do a drain/refill once or twice to get any residual gunk out.

So far, I have just about everything off of the engine. One more manifold and some little odds and ends and she's ready for a thorough cleaning before prepping for paint and reassembly.

Thanks!
John