olds 425 compression ratio?

Search this Thread

Old November 13th, 2014, 06:09 PM

olds 425 compression ratio?

Hi guys, I have a 68 cutlass that's been sitting awhile. Im trying to get it back on the road soon! ok, so I have a olds 425 that I pulled out of it. its all torn apart and ive done some research. its from a 1965. theres numbers on the block - 386525A and it has "A" Heads. I have 2 questions. are the "A" heads as good as "C"? and what is the compression on this engine? I pulled the engine beause I broke 2 pistons, so I was about to buy 2 from kanter.com but they only have the 10.25:1 pistons. im worried I have the 10.50:1 pistons. is there a way to tell the compression on this engine? or do I just need to buy all 8 brand new?
Any help is appreciated! thank!
Old November 13th, 2014, 06:16 PM

A heads are good because they dont have the AIR bumps in the exhaust ports but require special rocker arm assemblys. I do not think there was a 10.5 CR 425 offered in 1965. You prob have 10.25 CR. This would be a piston with a slight dish on top.
Old November 13th, 2014, 06:33 PM

20141113_202110_resized.jpg

this is one of the pistons. is this the 10.25:1?
Old November 13th, 2014, 06:56 PM

I would say yes
Old November 13th, 2014, 07:32 PM

Thank you very much! Do you know if there's a way to check for sure? Maybe by measuring the distance from the bottom of the the dish to the top of the piston?
Old November 13th, 2014, 08:47 PM

Having just replaced the low compression pistons with high compression -- those are the high compression pistons. The low compression has a much more noticeable dish.
Old November 13th, 2014, 09:00 PM

Alright I'll go ahead and order the 10.25:1 pistons. Thanks for the help guys! I've been waiting to get this engine running again for a year now lol
Old November 13th, 2014, 09:02 PM

For 65 the 425 was offered in 10.25 and 10.50 to 1. 360hp vs 370hp respectively
Old November 13th, 2014, 09:14 PM

Post From the books

Hot Rod's Complete Book of Engines (#1)(1965) shows four 425 engines: 300HP@4400; 310@4400; 360@4800; 370@4800. They are shown as 9.0 CR with a 2bbl; 10.25 with a 2bbl; 10.25 with a 4bbl; and 10.5 with a 4bbl.
The Olds parts book for 1965 shows three piston types for the 425: "low compression", "high compression", and "ultra-high compression". It appears that the ultra-high compression was standard on the Starfire & Jetstar 1, and optional on the 98 & Delta 88.
Nowhere can I find dimensions on the piston dishes. Pictures in the service manuals suggest a very subtle difference between the 10.25 & 10.5 pistons; very hard to distinguish. Your photo could be either. The only difference I can see is a "ring" in the center of the dish on the 10.5. The center of the dish on the 10.25 is smooth. Probably more of the 10.25 were sold.
Perhaps Kanter could provide a dimension. Otherwise just order what you need, and compare to yours when they arrive. The worst that could happen is that you'll have to order 6 more.
Old November 14th, 2014, 02:36 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Your piston has a V-shaped notch, and so should be 10.25:1.

- Eric
Old November 14th, 2014, 09:36 AM

Would kanter's pistons be the same as stock pistons? Or would they have a diffrent design to them, even though they make the same compression?
Old November 14th, 2014, 02:03 PM

Questions for Kanter? Call 800-526-1096 or 973-334-9575
Old November 14th, 2014, 03:02 PM

This may not help much, but these are Oldsmobile's versions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Olds factory pistons 005.jpg (241.9 KB, 125 views)
Old November 14th, 2014, 04:32 PM

I got mine off eBay, from falcon global. They had new, 10.25 pistons listed, and discovered that what they had were low-compression. So they had 10.25 pistons made for me by Egge.

Can't get much better than that.

I do remember looking at Kanter, but it seems like they only had low compression. This was at least a year ago, though, maybe two by now.
Old November 14th, 2014, 05:01 PM

thank you! this helps alot! i have to 10.25:1 for sure then!
Old November 14th, 2014, 05:04 PM

i also have another question i cant really find an answer for my specific motor. im thinking of using a 284/296 -.541/.544 camshaft. will stock springs and rocker arms be able to handle that? or would i need to but 1.7 ratio rocker arms and new springs to match?
Old November 14th, 2014, 09:22 PM

You'll need new springs and probably rockers - having just gone through this with A heads, plan on replacing the studs, and get rockers made for Olds. After some trial and tribulation, I ended up with Harlan Sharp 1.7, new springs and studs, and can just barely still get off-the-shelf pushrods to fit. Might not have the same difficulty with 1.6 rockers.

The problem with the stock studs is that the machined edge where a roller rocker sits is both too high and too wide, and it ended up being easier just replacing them for 30-odd dollars than trying to make them work. Also, some valve guide seals won't work with that setup.
Old November 14th, 2014, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by classicninja
i also have another question i cant really find an answer for my specific motor. im thinking of using a 284/296 -.541/.544 camshaft. will stock springs and rocker arms be able to handle that? or would i need to but 1.7 ratio rocker arms and new springs to match?
You should always get matching springs for the cam. You don't NEED 1.7 ratio rockers; 1.6 should work as long as they can accommodate the lift. I don't think factory 1.6 rockers can handle over .500" lift but aftermarket long-slot or adjustable rockers can.
Old November 15th, 2014, 11:12 AM

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-17044-16/reviews/

so do you think something like this would work? and would stock heads even be able to handle that camshaft? i feel it may be to big of a cam. (this is my first engine build)
Old November 15th, 2014, 01:56 PM

I would go with Harland Sharps. Those Ford-compatible rockers are the same as (or very similar to) the rockers I first tried. Although they will work with Olds heads, the geometry is slightly different. In order to use them, I would have had to get custom length pushrods, as the stock ones were at or near the maximum standard length, and the Ford rockers ended up needing slightly longer pushrods. I suspect this is a worse problem with the 45-degree A block and A heads, as others have used the Ford rockers with no problems.

Save yourself some headaches; get Harland Sharps, replace the studs, and use a pushrod length tester like this one.

What I finally ended up with was Harland Sharp S5107 rockers, Comp Cams guide plates, Crower short rocker nuts to fit under stock height valve covers, and Crower studs.

The springs I used were Comp Cams 995-16, but you'll need to make sure the springs you use are correct for your cam specs. Your cam has higher lift than mine, and if you go with 1.7 ratio rockers rather than stock 1.6, don't forget to calculate the coil bind.

It ended up being pricier than I would have liked, and I ended up having to find non-stock valve guide seals, but I would have happily paid the price up front if I had known how big of a pain I would be saving myself in the end after fiddling with the studs, pushrods, returns, and delivery wait times in between each new discovery...

As far as stock heads handling the cam, you'll need someone more knowledgeable than me to chime in. But the A heads are the best flowing Olds heads in stock trim, according to some source I can't remember. C heads are much more common and nearly the same in terms of flow, but if you don't want to go with aluminum heads, the ones you've got are about the best you'll get. Make sure you've got a good three-angle valve job, don't bother with porting unless you know someone who really, really knows what they are doing with Olds heads.

Last edited by Erinyes; November 15th, 2014 at 02:01 PM.
Old November 16th, 2014, 04:00 PM

Thank you for the information! This build is getting more complicated and Expensive the more I research. I'm thinking of just getting a camshaft with less than .500 lift and use stock push rods, valve springs, and rocker arms. Would it be worth it spending all that money on roller rockers and .40 lift?
Old November 16th, 2014, 05:33 PM

Well, that totally depends on what you want out of it, what it's going into, and what your budget is. My setup is just a fun hobby car that I can sink dollars into, and since it was my wife's idea to get a hobby in the first place, as long as I space out my spending she can't complain too much. The only reason I started going down the total engine work-up route is because it needed a valve job, and the might-as-wells sucker punched me.

If you just want to get it running with decent performance, then the 425 is a good performing engine in stock trim. The real question is how long are you going to keep it, and will you regret not going the extra mile while you had it apart?
Old November 16th, 2014, 07:19 PM

Well, it's going into a 68 cutlass. My budget is whatever extra money I get is going into this. I'm positive this engine won't be done till summer. At least. I plan on keeping this car for ALONG time. I just turned 20 and can see myself having this engine apart multiple times by the time I'm tired of this car. I just started a fence business this year so if business goes good in the next few years I'm sure I'll be putting forged pistons and rods and aftermarket heads and all that into this car. But until then my goal is about 500 horsepower. Shouldn't be to hard with a stock 370hp engine. It already has headers, intake, and 750 Cfm carb. I just want to replace the broken pistons and put a big cam in it for as cheap as possible, until I can afford to go all out. I found http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cc...ake/oldsmobile
But it doesn't tell me how much lift it can handle. Also this is really cheap so I'm thinking it probly wouldn't be much better than stock. I really would like a kit like this so I don't have to hunt down rocker arm studs and push rods and everything to match together.
Old November 16th, 2014, 09:01 PM

I don't believe that kit would work, for a couple reasons, and it's all due to having a 1965 A block and heads. Which brings up the cam -- if you are replacing the camshaft, you must get a cam for the 45 degree block.

It is a 45 degree cam angle block, which was made for only limited years. As a result, among other things the pushrods are a different length than the common 39 degree block. The heads have studs in them, but they are 7/16 studs, and if they are original they probably won't work with many new-style rockers. The guide plates raise the studs slightly, causing interference with the rocker, and add to the needed pushrod length - which is already near maximum for off-the-shelf pushrods. If the engine had the original steel head gaskets, the common replacements will raise the heads even more. Chances are pretty fair you are headed straight into the scenario I just went through.

Your best bet is to get components now that you will be able to reuse if/when you go through the engine again. Seriously. Buy the right valve train components now, and you will be able to reuse them later - except maybe the pushrods, which you would want to measure any time you go through the engine.

If you don't want to go to the expense right now, I'd say your best bet is to simply keep the existing cam for the time being, or if you have to replace the cam now, go with something that the stock rockers can accommodate. Even then, you'd be buying a cam, lifters, and timing chain, and only the timing chain would be reusable later when you go for the whole nine yards.

If you decide to go for it now, the links I gave you will work for all the tricky stuff. You'd have to find a cam, with springs to match, but there are people here that can recommend and supply a good cam. The pushrods you'd have to measure for after getting the rest of the engine back together, no matter what route you take. Even if you go stock, you would want to verify pushrod length - but you might be able to bring them into spec with shims.

Finally, as long as you have the heads off, you really should have a machinist check them over.
Old November 16th, 2014, 10:24 PM

Ahh I haven't thought about the cam angle making it difficult for parts. That complicates everything. Thank you for letting me know, before I went out and spend $1000 on parts I can't use! I think It may be best to just replace the pistons and put everything else back stock for now then... I may go with a 455 later on when i have the money. I assume it's easier to get aftermarket parts for a 455? I would expect the 425 to be difficult because it was only made for 3 years and has 2 Different cam angles.

Last edited by classicninja; November 16th, 2014 at 10:26 PM.
Old November 17th, 2014, 03:51 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

It's not necessarily hard to get the early 425 parts, it's just that they're different, and you have to be very specific and know what you're ordering.

- Eric
Old November 17th, 2014, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
It's not necessarily hard to get the early 425 parts, it's just that they're different, and you have to be very specific and know what you're ordering.

- Eric
x2

The 425 is a good engine. In general, it will rev higher than a 455, but the 455 has a bit more torque. Your choice.

Your 425 has factory forged crank and rods (although pay close attention to the rods if you reuse them; apparently they like to stretch), most 455s have cast.

If you really want to get spendy, keep the 425, go with a full roller cam. The taller lifters will help out with the pushrod issues, it's easier to set up, lasts longer, and you can get much more aggressive with the profile. Do your research on parts, get the money in advance, and spend it on the right pieces for what you want out of it.
Old November 17th, 2014, 11:18 AM

Thanks guys! That sounds like a plan to me. Is there a way of checking the rods before I reuse them? I'd hate to get it all put back together and then have it break.
Old November 17th, 2014, 04:17 PM

Best thing would probably be to take them to the machine shop along with the heads and have them check for tolerances and cracks. I'm guessing you probably don't have the micrometers and so on that you would need. For that matter, I'm guessing you'll have someone put the pistons on the rods? If a shop is doing that, they should be able to check the rods at the same time.
Old November 19th, 2014, 01:57 PM

i am there right now
some genius thought it would be a good ideal to install a 65 engine in a 66 olds 98
had to get a custom grind cam, could not find rockers so i bought new ones and just reused the inserts
custom pistons 30 over
waiting on the heads to get finished
if i would have known i would have looked for a 66 up engine
Old November 19th, 2014, 10:02 PM

Yeah I'm wishing I had a simpler motor for my first build. And I thought installing rods onto pistons was simple? I haven't done it before but have seen plenty of YouTube. Hahaha!
Old November 20th, 2014, 03:12 AM

Installing isn't the problem, really. Making sure that what you have is still within spec, without the proper measuring equipment, is the problem. Have the old rods stretched a few thousandths of an inch? Are the ends still round? It's best to be sure.
Old November 21st, 2014, 04:18 AM

any one know where to find head bolts? either stock or upgraded you see 3 of them have studs to hold brackets and all i find are ones with out
thanks
Old November 21st, 2014, 04:59 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

What's wrong with the ones you've got?

- Eric
Old November 21st, 2014, 06:44 AM

little rust and threads dont look smooth
Old November 21st, 2014, 06:47 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

So chase the threads with a die.

- Eric