Ok 455 in , but I am not happy....

Search this Thread

Old November 17th, 2010, 04:35 AM

You can grind & clearance an O4B to clear the HEI,but a Pertronix kit in his points distributor will do the job,so no need to modify anything.
Old November 17th, 2010, 05:17 AM

That cam SUX for your application... PERIOD. If your were running the thing with 4 sp at WOT such as ad drag track --- then it could possibly suit. Other than that, it plain sux - for any semi-normal street driving especially with high rear gears, auto with low stall converter, and stock exhaust manifolds. AFTER you accurately compute your compression ration --- get with a knowledgeable OLDS guy and select a cam that will make you car perform exactly the way you want it to. Your carb is a tad small for maximum performance but it will serve you well with the right cam.
MOO
Small cams do great things in mild street machines - on the street!!
Old November 17th, 2010, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by davepnola
so would the 1.7 rockers increase the cam by what or, should this cam be totally scrapped , if i go into the engine , i want it to be one time and be done to enjoy.... i am really being displeased in what was recommended on this build .....thanks for your response...
Increasing the rocker ratio makes the cam a bit "faster" but it's really only a bandaid.

You need to verify that everything else is correct, the timing, air/fuels etc. Then verfiy your gear and go from there.

I can recommend a custom grind to you, something off the shelf or do one for you as well.

If you go roller, you'll need to change the pushrods, maybe even the springs depending on what's in there. They do offer distinct advantages though. The ball is in your court.
Old November 18th, 2010, 05:01 PM

compression 8.5 timing was at 32 degrees , we reset dwell at 30 and set timing at 12 idled the carb up and night day difference though the fuel lines are rusted and I am sucking air .... we installed the fuel pump with the return back to the tank... that line is real bad, so I blocked off the fuel pump for now , what is the best way in replacing the fuel lines , ??
I can order 25 ft roll of 3/8 no kink line from Napa and try it that way ?? any suggestions would help.....

The car runs good now timing was corrected, though its not what I expected, I think if anything I would like to increase compression , could that be done by milling heads and intake , with thin head gasket, to make much improvement .... will be jacking car up tonight to find the rear gear ... thanks

Last edited by davepnola; November 18th, 2010 at 05:05 PM.
Old November 18th, 2010, 05:07 PM

You can't cut the heads enough to make a considerable difference.You could zero-deck the block,but now you are back to stripping down to a bare block,and at that point,you could swap the pistons.
Old November 22nd, 2010, 09:46 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Car craft did a similar build to that stock 72 pistons and that cam. Ran ok but no power house. There are many pistons out there for the 455 compared to other Olds like the 350 or 403. My 403 would totally burn the tires with 2.56 gears and no slip, maybe 8.5 to 1 and a crappy, cheap build. Get a smaller duration modern cam with similar lift to what you have or change pistons. You have a 455 spec Qjet? Should be close, Cliff Ruggles book is a good tuning source. I have modified the secondary door using a caliper for more air flow and different rods and hangers. My plugs are white but great mileage with that carb. I have another Qjet with 4 size bigger primary jets for the track.
Old August 14th, 2011, 07:37 PM

Its been a while car almost done , but its time to increase the hp on the farm tractor engine that machine shop built to HIS SPECS.... So I am willing to pull the motor and change the pistons for more compression , but I think I am stuck with this cam shaft , unless I want to have the valve train redone since the machine shop used rocker arms that are not adjustable.. So here is my question, Will the pistons and a 2200 stall make a huge difference using this cam shaft ?? And what pistons really would satisfy the increase of hp ..?? Trying not to put so much more money in the motor since I have close 3k in it now .. Thanks Again ,
Old August 15th, 2011, 06:11 AM

Raising the compression ratio will help a lot so get different pistons, L2323F are the most popular for the 455 but I like the KB IC886's more. They're lighter, stronger and have a better ring pack. You'll probably have to rebalance the assembly anyway, jmo.

Cam is no problem, got a bunch that will work with the stock valvetrain. Just let me know when you're ready. And you really won't need to change the converter unless you go with a much bigger cam.
Old August 15th, 2011, 06:45 AM

I am confused , he set the valves by shimming and having different length push rods, So will I have to do the same with setting the rockers to the valves , by using different length pushrods ?? Also if I do this I really would like to go with a roller camshaft ( that makes engine sound like an high flowing air machine )... and add a 2200 stall speed....
Old August 15th, 2011, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by davepnola
I am confused , he set the valves by shimming and having different length push rods, So will I have to do the same with setting the rockers to the valves , by using different length pushrods ?? Also if I do this I really would like to go with a roller camshaft ( that makes engine sound like an high flowing air machine )... and add a 2200 stall speed....
I'm a huge roller fan but we can make it sound like that with a flat tappet as well. Maybe you could spend the extra dollars on an adjustable valvetrain instead. Converter specs will be dictated by cam and the rest of your combo.