Oil leaks, need help

Search this Thread

Old May 26th, 2016, 04:48 PM

Oil leaks, need help

I have a 69 442 400 that was rebuilt a few years ago and has some oil leak issues. The engine is pulled and I want seal it up.

It appears that I have a front seal leak for sure (around crank). Can I replace the seal without pulling the timing cover?

Also having problems at the oil filter or filter housing and with the manifold in the front corners. The oil filter housing seal looks like an easy replacement.

The manifold is a bit of a mystery. The builder used a Fel Pro 1356 but used right stuff in place of the front and rear seals. 2nd time and still not sealed up. Also light rtv around the coolant ports.

Hoping to get some advice as I am sick of these oil leaks.

Thanks,
Andy
Old May 27th, 2016, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by alburk
I have a 69 442 400 that was rebuilt a few years ago and has some oil leak issues. The engine is pulled and I want seal it up.

It appears that I have a front seal leak for sure (around crank). Can I replace the seal without pulling the timing cover?

Also having problems at the oil filter or filter housing and with the manifold in the front corners. The oil filter housing seal looks like an easy replacement.

The manifold is a bit of a mystery. The builder used a Fel Pro 1356 but used right stuff in place of the front and rear seals. 2nd time and still not sealed up. Also light rtv around the coolant ports.

Hoping to get some advice as I am sick of these oil leaks.

Thanks,
Andy
The intakes are a pain in the a**. Plain and simple. I bought a new edelbrock intake 2711( i think, the one without the egr stuff) and I had to do the job 3 times. But the Right Stuff seemed to work for me! I did use the Felpro turkey tray gasket without end seals. 2x with end seals and both times they blew out. I think I used permatex around the water ports(the red stuff in the can with a brush).

I went out and bought grade 8.8 bolts for the intake too. knock on wood, it's been almost 3 years now. Now I'll drive home tonight and it'll leak like a sieve.
Old May 28th, 2016, 09:11 AM

Thanks for the input.
Andy