Valves

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2016, 09:27 AM

Valves

Hi Guys

I have a Olds Cutlass supreme "sx" fra 1970 with a 455 engine with the E 403686 heads. The top of a intake valve has broken off. Can someone tell me what size the intake valves are? and do you recommend that i change all the valve both intake and exhaust or just the one that is broken?

Tommy
Old May 5th, 2016, 10:23 AM

My sx had 207 intake valves. You should remove one of the other complete intake valves and measure it.
Old May 5th, 2016, 02:15 PM
Administrator

Your going to have to pull the head anyway. Once you get it off you'll be able to get the remaining portion of the valve out and you'll be able to measure one of the others. What caused the stem to break is the concern.
Old May 6th, 2016, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Your going to have to pull the head anyway. Once you get it off you'll be able to get the remaining portion of the valve out and you'll be able to measure one of the others. What caused the stem to break is the concern.
Okay. Just hoped that someone knew what the org. valve size was on the motor. I have no idea what made the top og the valve brake off. People have told me that is what happens sometime because the valve issent made of one piece but the top is "welded" on and brakes sometimes. Is that not correct?

Last edited by Randrup; May 6th, 2016 at 01:11 AM.
Old May 6th, 2016, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by Randrup
Okay. Just hoped that someone knew what the org. valve size was on the motor. I have no idea what made the top og the valve brake off. People have told me that is what happens sometime because the valve issent made of one piece but the top is "welded" on and brakes sometimes. Is that not correct?
Yes that is possible. You still you need to check for a cause in case damage was done else where in the engine. You may not find a cause but you may find more damage because of this valve failure. Don't assume the rest of the engine is not damaged.

Last edited by wr1970; May 6th, 2016 at 05:45 AM.
Old May 6th, 2016, 06:25 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

If the top of the valve broke off, wouldn't that mean that the bottom of the valve fell into the combustion chamber?

As Eric and WR say, this is not good, and, unless the circumstances are quite unusual, requires a complete teardown.

Welcome to ClassicOlds.

- Eric
Old May 6th, 2016, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
If the top of the valve broke off, wouldn't that mean that the bottom of the valve fell into the combustion chamber?

As Eric and WR say, this is not good, and, unless the circumstances are quite unusual, requires a complete teardown.

Welcome to ClassicOlds.

- Eric
Thanks

No the keepers were still holding on to the valve so the valve is were it should be. It is only the top 4mm that have broken off. I have startet to take it apart so we will se if it has done any extra damage -

Is there any thing special i have to look for?
Old May 6th, 2016, 07:30 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

It is only the top 4mm that have broken off.
That is very strange.

Is this a modified engine? Does it have stock or aftermarket rocker arms?

You want to look for any evidence that bits of metal have gotten where they should not have, such as into the combustion chambers, between the rings and the cylinder walls, into the oil pump, and into the bearings.

- Eric
Old May 6th, 2016, 08:15 AM
Administrator

4 MM = 0.4 CM = 0.16 inches = 3/16" I've never seen a broken valve with that little bit broken off the stem. Either way the head needs to come off to replace the valve and measure it or an adjacent one for size.
Old May 6th, 2016, 09:50 AM

That is very strange.

Is this a modified engine? Does it have stock or aftermarket rocker arms?

You want to look for any evidence that bits of metal have gotten where they should not have, such as into the combustion chambers, between the rings and the cylinder walls, into the oil pump, and into the bearings.

- Eric
No it is not modified. Only a edelbrock Intake manifold. Rocker arms are stock non adjusterble.

Yes i also think that it is strange that it can break off that piece but a guy told me that in the old days the valve had a top "velded" on... a harder top than the rest of the valve. The break is also 100% clean so i think he is right about this. But i dont know if it is true.
Old May 6th, 2016, 10:00 AM

4 MM = 0.4 CM = 0.16 inches = 3/16" I've never seen a broken valve with that little bit broken off the stem. Either way the head needs to come off to replace the valve and measure it or an adjacent one for size.
I am going to throw out a possibility Eric. The stem may have had crystallized crack from being dropped many years ago and finally broke off. The missing part is what makes me think damage internal to the engine may have happened. Then again it may be in the oil pan. If it made it's way into the combustion chamber i think the piston will show damage. If it fell into the exhaust chamber then no problem. You can bet this engine didn't run right for sure. Till the op looks deeper it is speculative. I hope he finds no damage.
Old May 6th, 2016, 10:08 AM
Administrator

Thanks

No the keepers were still holding on to the valve so the valve is were it should be. It is only the top 4mm that have broken off. I have startet to take it apart so we will se if it has done any extra damage -

I just can't picture that much valve stem sticking out above the keeper? Can you take some pictures and post?
Old May 6th, 2016, 10:21 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

... a guy told me that in the old days the valve had a top "velded" on... a harder top than the rest of the valve.
When valves are made of dissimilar metals, the joint is where the stem meets the head, not the other end.

- Eric
Old May 6th, 2016, 10:23 AM

I just can't picture that much valve stem sticking out above the keeper? Can you take some pictures and post?
I'll take som pictures tomorrow if i get the chance.. 😊
Old May 6th, 2016, 10:30 AM

I'll take som pictures tomorrow if i get the chance.. 😊
Had this one on the phone. You can see the clean break og perhaps how much is missing

Last edited by Randrup; May 6th, 2016 at 10:32 AM.
Old May 6th, 2016, 11:16 AM

Is this the first time you have seen this happen?
Old May 6th, 2016, 11:31 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

That doesn't look broken to me.

- Eric
Old May 6th, 2016, 11:38 AM

Man i need to get my eyes checked. I see no damage.
Old May 6th, 2016, 11:39 AM

That doesn't look broken to me.

- Eric
I didn't think that either at the beginning - but it is missing about 4mm so the rocker hits the retainer and not only the valve. I thought it was the keepers that was broken, but no it is the valve that is missing a part of the top
Old May 6th, 2016, 11:41 AM
Rocket Renegade!

Originally Posted by randrup
okay. Just hoped that someone knew what the org. Valve size was on the motor.
iirc, 2.072.
Old May 6th, 2016, 11:49 AM

I didn't think that either at the beginning - but it is missing about 4mm so the rocker hits the retainer and not only the valve. I thought it was the keepers that was broken, but no it is the valve that is missing a part of the top

Just took this picture.
Old May 6th, 2016, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by wr1970
Man i need to get my eyes checked. I see no damage.
Take a look at the new picture 😊
Old May 6th, 2016, 12:00 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I still don't see it.

- Eric
Old May 6th, 2016, 12:01 PM

Ah much better. Yep you have some valve stem missing. Have you run this motor for any amount of time?

Last edited by wr1970; May 6th, 2016 at 12:06 PM.
Old May 6th, 2016, 12:08 PM

Ah much better. Yep you have some valve stem missing. Have you run this motor for any amount of time?
A little bit. Why?
Old May 6th, 2016, 01:03 PM

That is a vague answer. What i am getting at is the missing part causing damage. Did you get a miss right away? Was the motor running fine and then started to miss all of a sudden? In other words did you acquired this engine and discovered this problem?Did you buy this car and discovered the problem after you started the engine? What really matters is it looks like you had a valve stem failure.
Old May 6th, 2016, 01:10 PM

That is a vague answer. What i am getting at is the missing part causing damage. Did you get a miss right away? Was the motor running fine and then started to miss all of a sudden? In other words did you acquired this engine and discovered this problem?Did you buy this car and discovered the problem after you started the engine? What really matters is it looks like you had a valve stem failure.
Ahh okay. The car was running fine by my opinion. No missing or anything. Only thing i noticed was a tikking sound.
Old May 6th, 2016, 01:53 PM
Administrator

Is that a performance engine with titanium or stainless steel valves? I'm wondering if you have light weight valves with hardened (lash cap) tips?
Old May 6th, 2016, 08:23 PM

Many aftermarket valves have a hardened wafer tip that is welded onto the end of the stem. Allows cheaper stem materials to be used as well as oroviding a safety margin for poor valve train geometry. Looks like the tip came off to me.
Old May 6th, 2016, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by costpenn
Many aftermarket valves have a hardened wafer tip that is welded onto the end of the stem. Allows cheaper stem materials to be used as well as oroviding a safety margin for poor valve train geometry. Looks like the tip came off to me.
Yeah i think so to. I just hope that there is no damage somewhere else in the bottom end from the missing tip.
Old May 6th, 2016, 09:15 PM
Administrator

I've never seen that happen.
Old May 28th, 2016, 07:03 AM

Hi again

I have decided to change all the Intake Valves and the dealer sent me some edelbrock retainers without the bearings ( see picture ) is this okay to use the new ones? The spring is now sitting higher and are easyer to compress because the new retainers are different is this a problem?

Old May 28th, 2016, 07:29 AM
Old(s) Fart

Hi again

I have decided to change all the Intake Valves and the dealer sent me some edelbrock retainers without the bearings ( see picture ) is this okay to use the new ones? The spring is now sitting higher and are easyer to compress because the new retainers are different is this a problem?
Yes, it is a problem. The installed height of the spring is specified.

You need to shim under the bottom of the spring to make up for the thinner retainer at the top.

You can buy hardened spring shim washers for this purpose. Also, be SURE to set the installed height of the valve stem tip per the Chassis Service Manual or using the gauge tool.

Old May 28th, 2016, 07:50 AM

Okay thought so...

Hmm is it bettet to use the org retainers then? 2 of them have marks on the top from the rocker arms
Old May 28th, 2016, 07:59 AM
Old(s) Fart

Okay thought so...

Hmm is it bettet to use the org retainers then? 2 of them have marks on the top from the rocker arms
The original rotators are heavy, which can induce valve float at high RPMs. People tend to replace them with simple retainers and shim the valves for performance builds anyway.
Old May 28th, 2016, 08:05 AM

Okay.. That is what has happent to my Valves :-( so the new ones are better i understand...

What do you mean by the high of the valve stem tip. The new Valves are the same High as the old ones so do i need to do that and if so how?
Old May 28th, 2016, 08:19 AM
Old(s) Fart

What do you mean by the high of the valve stem tip. The new Valves are the same High as the old ones so do i need to do that and if so how?
How do you know they are the same? And how do you know the old ones were at the correct height anyway. One of your earlier pictures shows aftermarket valve seals, so the heads have been worked on previously. Chevy-centric machine shops frequently do not correctly set the valve tip height on Oldsmobile valves, resulting in incorrect valvetrain geometry and ultimately failure.
Old May 28th, 2016, 08:30 AM

Crap, damn... Is what comes to mind right now... Then this could be the problem from the beginning... I see what you mean now :-(

Realy thankfull for everyones great replyes in here...
Old May 28th, 2016, 08:52 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Valve stem height can be set in two ways:
Grind tip of valve stem to shorten valve,
Grind valve seat deeper into head to make stem longer.

This means that the depth to which the valve seats are ground is critical, and must be even across all the valves.

Sloppy builders may grind the seats to different depths, creating a situation where a set of valves which are all the same length stand at different heights when installed.

- Eric
Old May 28th, 2016, 10:00 AM

Okay...

Do you know what the right height is?

Quick Reply: Valves