New Radiator for a '62 88 394?

Search this Thread

Old March 3rd, 2008, 03:48 PM

New Radiator for a '62 88 394?

Anyone have a source for radiators? I'd like to avoid "Hollywood" Pricing...
Thanks,

Matt
Old March 3rd, 2008, 04:23 PM
Oldsdruid

Your best bet is to find a good radiator shop and have them recore it. It's a pretty much standard dimension core and easy to source. They'll transfer your tanks and trans cooler onto the new core.

I had one custom made for my 64 Starfire a few years back, thru USA Parts Supply. I don't know where the hell the rad company got their measurements, but when it got here it was fully 4 inches too short top to bottom and no way to hold it in the car.

Then I called the rad company's tech support and nobody there spoke English. Finally called USA Parts and they took it back and credited my charge card.

By then I was fit to be tied as I'd already tried one shop who said they couldn't do anything for it. I went to an ancient shop a few miles out of town and within half an hour the guy had measured the core, ordered the new one and had it on the way. It got there the same afternoon and was ready by 11 the next day.

The guy died 2 years later, but while he was still in business he recored three more old radiators for me, and several more for other old car buds who'd been given the same runaround by the big-name shop in town. Trifling bastids have got to where they don't want to fix anything, and if it ain't an in-stock complete radiator they don't want to fool with a recore job.

Unfortunately they are now the ONLY game in town. Dixie Radiator closed after Alex died, and the guy at Northside finally retired at age 75 after he couldn't find anyone to take over the business.
Old March 3rd, 2008, 05:36 PM

I use these guys: http://www.macsradiator.com/

But they're local for me. Might be worth a call.

Don
Old March 4th, 2008, 11:29 AM

I thank you for the responses, the rad is off to the local shop, no one has new ones that I can find. price quoted was 350-400, another shop said 400-600. I am in New Jersey.
I had the '62 running last night and found how rotten the radiator was. I would have liked to run it much longer and see if the Slim Jim is functional. Now I have to go to work so it will wait a week or so....

Cheers!

Matt
Old March 8th, 2008, 04:40 PM

It is back, 335.00 for a re-core. Had it running today, Bad Spooge from the gas tank clogged up the new fuel pump filter and carb. Guess draining the tank wasn't good enough. Now it comes out and goes to the radiator shop for boiling... maybe then I can see if the Slim Jim works.....