My First Project & Rebuild 455 rocket

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2012, 07:51 PM
See ya at the FINISH LINE

Still messing with the garage, but was wondering if I just had stock rear end and tranny th350 what kind cam should I get?? I want to be able to hear it and feel it but same time be conservative!!! It wont be driiven all time but wen I do drive it I wanna hear it and feel it!!
Old May 24th, 2012, 08:45 PM

ok, im currently on my first project as well! ive got a 455 with block number 396021 F (serrif) im not sure exactly what year you said your car was from, but if its on, or after 1971 its almost always going to be low compression ratio stock... like you said, it doesnt have stock heads, so maybe it does have a higher ratio, who knows (i went back and looked to find you also have the same casting number as i do-- your right, the "F" or "Fa" determines wich year range your engine falls into. if yours looks EXACTLY the same as this -> "F" you have the 68-70 year engine and also a 10.5:1 ratio stock... BUT, if your "F" looks CLOSE but it loks a little fancier with sticks on it and underlining it, you have the 71-72 engine year as i do, with the 8.5:1 ratio (also a quick note-- your engine is out of a 442 )
i too have a TH350 hooked to mine, ill echo what someone on this forum told me- the TH350 is a good tranny, but wont hold up to the HUGE torque of our 455 BBs. getting a TH400 tranny that is meant to withstand our torque levels is a good idea when you plan on beefing up your engine as i do!

id also like to thank you for this thread- answered so many questions i had for my engine lol (pretty much the same project as yours) Ill keep following this thread to see how your project goes- hope to see you on the track in not too long!

Last edited by 71 455; May 24th, 2012 at 08:51 PM.
Old May 26th, 2012, 09:01 PM
See ya at the FINISH LINE

Originally Posted by 71 455
ok, im currently on my first project as well! ive got a 455 with block number 396021 F (serrif) im not sure exactly what year you said your car was from, but if its on, or after 1971 its almost always going to be low compression ratio stock... like you said, it doesnt have stock heads, so maybe it does have a higher ratio, who knows (i went back and looked to find you also have the same casting number as i do-- your right, the "F" or "Fa" determines wich year range your engine falls into. if yours looks EXACTLY the same as this -> "F" you have the 68-70 year engine and also a 10.5:1 ratio stock... BUT, if your "F" looks CLOSE but it loks a little fancier with sticks on it and underlining it, you have the 71-72 engine year as i do, with the 8.5:1 ratio (also a quick note-- your engine is out of a 442 )
i too have a TH350 hooked to mine, ill echo what someone on this forum told me- the TH350 is a good tranny, but wont hold up to the HUGE torque of our 455 BBs. getting a TH400 tranny that is meant to withstand our torque levels is a good idea when you plan on beefing up your engine as i do!

id also like to thank you for this thread- answered so many questions i had for my engine lol (pretty much the same project as yours) Ill keep following this thread to see how your project goes- hope to see you on the track in not too long!
Hey always glad to help! I also found some of your info helpful thanks... Im currently in process of buying a frame that is sandblasted and por 15 w all new bushings etc... misc 69 parts 350 rocket and th 350 all for $200 great deal, Im going to pull my 455 and rebuild and beef...;I just wanted to keep that beast running still while I did this rebuild... This will prolly be a long drawn out process due to time and $...but thanks for the interest and info...