melling timing chain set question

Search this Thread

Old March 5th, 2013, 07:46 PM

melling timing chain set question

i see over at ROP, and in Bill's book regarding some timing sets have problems being off a few degrees +or- like the Pro-Gear timing sets... I saw no mention of Melling's timing sets, are these pretty decent timing sets, or are there any drawbacks to them.

kind regards
Old March 6th, 2013, 04:17 AM

Most of the Sealed Power, Melling and medium priced sets etc. are all made by Dyna Gear or similar.
But case in point, I just degreed the hyd roller for this DX build. Even with a Cloyes Billet Timing set it was still 3 degrees off, from "straight up".

Moral of the story is obvious. No matter what you use, it's always a good idea to degree the cam. CaptJim has a great video regarding the same. Check it out.
Old March 6th, 2013, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by cutlassefi
Most of the Sealed Power, Melling and medium priced sets etc. are all made by Dyna Gear or similar.
But case in point, I just degreed the hyd roller for this DX build. Even with a Cloyes Billet Timing set it was still 3 degrees off, from "straight up".

Moral of the story is obvious. No matter what you use, it's always a good idea to degree the cam. CaptJim has a great video regarding the same. Check it out.

Thanks Mark, good info... I'll check it out.
Old March 6th, 2013, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by naphtali5725
i see over at ROP, and in Bill's book regarding some timing sets have problems being off a few degrees +or- like the Pro-Gear timing sets... I saw no mention of Melling's timing sets, are these pretty decent timing sets, or are there any drawbacks to them.

kind regards
I believe I have the problem listed above in my 455. My company is a large customer's of Melling's, so when they found out I was an Olds guy, they sent me a bunch of Melling Select Olds timing sets. I had them stored for a couple of years, and finally used one on a 455. I didn't like the way the two dots would not align exactly at 6 and 12 o'clock - no matter what I did. I went ahead and assembled it (without degreeing) and now have a motor that only pulls 10 inches at idle fluttering between 9 and 13. Have checked everything else - all seems to be OK, so I'm pulling the valve cover off tonight kind of hoping I've got some valve assembled height issues, but I doubt it.

I'll never use anything again but the Cloyes sets. Built 5 455's before this one with never a problem.
Old March 6th, 2013, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by costpenn
I believe I have the problem listed above in my 455. My company is a large customer's of Melling's, so when they found out I was an Olds guy, they sent me a bunch of Melling Select Olds timing sets. I had them stored for a couple of years, and finally used one on a 455. I didn't like the way the two dots would not align exactly at 6 and 12 o'clock - no matter what I did. I went ahead and assembled it (without degreeing) and now have a motor that only pulls 10 inches at idle fluttering between 9 and 13. Have checked everything else - all seems to be OK, so I'm pulling the valve cover off tonight kind of hoping I've got some valve assembled height issues, but I doubt it.

I'll never use anything again but the Cloyes sets. Built 5 455's before this one with never a problem.
All my parts were donated to me, so I'm stuck with the Melling set for now. I assume degree'ing will keep me ok?