Manifold leaks coolant.

Search this Thread

Old July 1st, 2018, 02:41 PM

Manifold leaks coolant.

I have a question.

I have a 72 Cutlass with a 72 Olds 455, .030 over, Speedpro L2323 forged pistons, comp cams 268H-10.

It currently has a Torker intake that seems to have a really odd issue. It dribbles coolant from the right rear coolant port when cold (colder it gets the more it leak). Occasionally when it sits, it seem to get a little coolant into the #8 cylinder. This is noticeable only because it will miss slightly for about a minute then clear up. Most of the time it leaks externally leaving a trail down the right rear of the block and 5-6 drops of coolant on the floor. This morning when I fired it up and took it around the block it was actually blowing white smoke out the right side exhaust. Since I was only a block away from the house I turned around and went right back. It had barely even started to warm up so there wasn't any pressure in the cooling system. Checked the oil, no mix. Checked the oil cap and breathers, no mix. Put my pressure tester on it and it held 20psi.

Started it back up and no more smoke.

So, after all of this, my question is this. Since this happened on two completely different motors (different block & heads), I'm pretty sure its an intake issue.

That said, what are the height differences between the Torker and Performer? I know the Torker just barely clears the hood so I dont want to take a chance on anything taller.

Update: Bolts are tight, there was RVT around each of the coolant ports when it was installed and thread sealer was put on each of the bolts at the corners.
Looking at the specs for both the Performer and Torker, the Performer is slightly shorter (4.95" vs. 5.05")

Last edited by theboz001; July 1st, 2018 at 04:05 PM.
Old July 1st, 2018, 03:42 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by theboz001
Sorry if it seems I am hijacking this thread, but I have a question.
And yet you did anyway. I moved your post to its own thread. Make sure you bolts are tight and if its wicking up through a bolt, you need to put some thread sealer on them. The pad heights to all manifolds are provided with the installation and sales descriptions.
Old July 1st, 2018, 03:47 PM

Since it was related to intakes I wasn't sure if I should start a new thread of simply ask on an existing one. Now I know to just start a new one.
The bolts are tight and the ones near the water passages have thread sealant already.
Thanks for the info.
Old July 1st, 2018, 04:02 PM

None of the intake (or head bolts for that matter) go into water. Your manifold may be warped and need to be resurfaced. I always put a thin amount of RTV around the water ports on the intake gasket. By the way, the thermostat housing bolts in the intake manifold do go into the water passage.
Old July 2nd, 2018, 05:38 AM

I would suggest retorquing the head bolts according to the manual, then retorquing the intake manifolds accordingly. To assume because they are "tight" may not be correct.
If you still have a leak and or smoke, then something may need to be done with the intake manifold. Thread sealant and RTV as previous posts suggested would be ok.
......just my 2 cents worth