Manifold Leak Test

Search this Thread

Old July 10th, 2015 | 06:49 PM

Manifold Leak Test

How are aluminum manifolds tested for leaks? Does it make a difference if they have previous welded repairs?

Rick
Old July 10th, 2015 | 10:01 PM

In theory you could fab up some block off plates for the heat riser opening on both sides of the intake. Then screw and air chuck fitting into one block off plate and apply compressed air. I would use a regulator to keep the air pressure very low and also thread a compressor air/water drain fitting onto the other side block off plate. Fittings are cheap at Lowe's/Home Depot, etc. Soapy water slathered onto the exterior surfaces of the heat riser area would reveal leaks in the welds, etc I would think.

The largest investment would be time. This could be taken to further extremes with full length block off plates, engine leakdown tester gauges, etc.
Old July 11th, 2015 | 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by 70Post
In theory you could fab up some block off plates for the heat riser opening on both sides of the intake. Then screw and air chuck fitting into one block off plate and apply compressed air. I would use a regulator to keep the air pressure very low and also thread a compressor air/water drain fitting onto the other side block off plate. Fittings are cheap at Lowe's/Home Depot, etc. Soapy water slathered onto the exterior surfaces of the heat riser area would reveal leaks in the welds, etc I would think.

The largest investment would be time. This could be taken to further extremes with full length block off plates, engine leakdown tester gauges, etc.
I'll see if my buddy can come up with something. He's a machinist by trade but does car restoration full time now. He should be able to fab the described plates etc.

I didn't know if magnaflux or ultra sound testing was a viable method.

BTW Are you going to the Nationals? MY neighbor's daughter lives in Milwaukee so he and I might make a trip up there .
Old July 12th, 2015 | 12:07 AM

Yes - I will be at the OCA Nats.....this is looking like a GREAT ONE...one guy posted recently that he was registration #516. Compared to other years and talking with buddies/customers that pay attention to the registration numbers, this sounds like a "high count" and should be a "must attend" year.

There are a number of excellent cars showing up and the competition will be fierce....two guys that hold the record here in the "Major Builds" thread will be there...Joe Munoz in one corner with his Astro Blue exterior/Black interior 70 W30 and Eric Jensen in the other corner with his Twilight Blue/Medium Blue (ie "Jetson's Blue/Space Age Blue) interior '70 W30. In the convertible (open) class there will also be some sights to see....two yellow cars, in particular, will IMO be "going at it".

Just as important, the field will be rife with many characters from this site.....Dave Bunch (his brain needs to be downloaded...but you'll first have to get him to stop talking so you can hook up the electrodes to his head), Mike Richards (it'll be like a Civil War re-enactment when he and Paul get together but much better) , Paul Sigmund (representing the Union and "all things Oldsmobile" whether it's the cars or Olds paraphanalia), Scott Winn(he's seen and sold more Oldsmobile parts than Oldsmobile ever did....if GM had consulted him they'd still be in business).....the list goes on and on.

Be there.

Last edited by 70Post; July 12th, 2015 at 10:11 AM.
Old July 12th, 2015 | 05:51 AM

Barring any meltdowns at work and at home, I will be there. We are planning to drive to Chicago Thursday afternoon to visit with my neighbors buddy, then drive to Brookfield Friday to attend the show.

I'm familiar with Eric and Joe's threads as I've been a subscriber to both. Their cars truly are works of art and I can't wait to see them.

I've also had the pleasure of speaking to Dave on the phone. What an interesting conversation. After an hour and a half he graciously offered my son and I a ride and accommodations to the Homecoming event. Said he was passing through Cincy and would pick us up in his RV.
Unfortunately that happened to be my wedding anniversary weekend so leaving for the weekend was not an option. I thought I could work the Father/Son angle since it was Father's Day weekend too but my wife didn't bite. haha I tried!

I have met Scott and must agree with you. What a great resource he is to Oldmobile restorers/hobbyist. I drove up to Indy over the winter and bought some things from him. Great guy!

Rick
Old July 12th, 2015 | 06:52 AM
morgan

Originally Posted by 70Post
Yes - I will be at the OCA Nats.....this is looking like a GREAT ONE...one guy posted recently that he was registration #516. Compared to other years and talking with buddies/customers that pay attention to the registration numbers, this sound like a "high count" and should be a "must attend" year.

There are a number of excellent cars showing up and the competition will be fierce....two guys that hold the record here in the "Major Builds" thread will be there...Joe Munoz in one corner with his Astro Blue exterior/Black interior 70 W30 and Eric Jensen in the other corner with his Twilight Blue/Medium Blue (ie "Jetson's Blue/Space Age Blue) interior '70 W30. In the convertible (open) class there will also be some sights to see....two yellow cars, in particular, will IMO be "going at it".

Just as important, the field will be rife with many characters from this site.....Dave Bunch (his brain needs to be downloaded...but you'll first have to get him to stop talking so you can hook up the electrodes to his head), Mike Richards (it'll be like a Civil War re-enactment when he and Paul get together but much better) , Paul Sigmund (representing the Union and "all things Oldsmobile" whether it's the cars or Olds paraphanalia), Scott Winn(he's seen and sold more Oldsmobile parts than Oldsmobile ever did....if GM had consulted him they'd still be in business).....the list goes on and on.

Be there.
very amusing write-up...i liked it
Old July 12th, 2015 | 07:07 AM
Shoveling Snow

Patton you are a character. Not sure I deserve the honorable mention. Mike is always in ready.
The Fouranado will be in the lobby of the hotel.