Loud Lifter

Search this Thread

Old September 26th, 2010, 12:49 PM

Loud Lifter

Hi all I have a lifter that gets loud once in awhile I use 20/50 Val VR1 I Was told to use that because of the comp cam, Don't use synthetic oil,
Well one day it was loud so I took of the valve cover off and started it oil came out but it took a few sec and the one making the noise just a little weep came out I took a wire and cleaned it then it was fine The other day it came back and left I get 50 60 oil pressure I was thinking of changing the oil to 10/40 But first I wanted to clean the engine somehow then drain it but I'm not sure what I can use in that engine The motor was built in 2007 about 6k since than most by the previous owner I take it out 1 or twice a week so it sits a lot,I probably should of bought something that wasn't a beast,The car I had before someone drove in my house and 3 cars totaling a mint 57 Chevy I have my web site of that car in my profile never had a problem w/that it was a 355 4 speed w/air but it's gone now had it since 99, Any Ideas what I can do for this problem.Thanks Steve
Old September 26th, 2010, 06:01 PM
Administrator

I've found rislone works really well at freeing up lifters, drain a quart of oil out of your pan and add the whole quart. Run the engine normally for a few hundred miles and change you oil. The 50 weight is ok, but maybe a bit problematic in the winter.
If the noise persists it can be either a bad lifter or a worn rocker arm. I would swap a set of rocker assy's with the set next to the noisey one and see if the noise moves to the other lifter. If it does move then I would replace that set of rockers. If it does not move, then it's probably a lifter or push rod.
Old September 27th, 2010, 08:11 AM

I have a similar problem. Except I've never taken the valve covers off and cleaned anything. I tried Rislone 2x, to no avail. I'm afraid to take my valve covers off and determine the problem, because with my luck It'll lead to an engine rebuild, and I'm not going to do that. I would try Rislone once for the heck of it, but don't count on it being a "cure-all".
Old September 27th, 2010, 06:58 PM
Administrator

Jpc - it sounds like eithe a lifter or a rocker arm problem on yours, the biggest problem with Oldsmobiles are the non-adjustable rockers. If yours does not belch smoke and is not all sludged up, I'd go for the rockers and or push rods first!
Old October 2nd, 2010, 04:18 AM
Banned

marvel mystery oil is the best product on the market 4 freeing up stuck lifters and rings-if u have stuck rings pour a quart in the crankcase and watch your car smoke a little bit for a few weeks and then watch it stop compleatly and run better than ever
Old October 4th, 2010, 09:56 AM

I had an occational lifter click noise in my 350, ran 16 oz of marvels on an oil change and it went away.