its been a while here's some 425 ?

Search this Thread

Old November 9th, 2010, 04:54 PM

its been a while here's some 425 ?

I'm going threw doing a complete restore. I want the car OE stock but i figure changing the intake carb and ignition can all be changed back out with no affect to the car. So I'm looking for a good 4 barrel intake and carb combo. Haven't even began to look into cams I'm building a cruiser not a race car. But want to add a little extra muscle for the big old girl its a 1967 olds delta 88 holiday coupe 425 super rocket. I am going to have some head work done but nothing serious. Hei for sure I'm thinking going with a 750 Barry grant street demon. I had great luck with these carbs but my one issue is i want to run a stock looking air cleaner paint the intake red. I want to hide most mods and get everything to fit under the hood with out any problems. The ignition thought about running factory distributor but with the msd conversion no more points i want to just drive long distance with no issues later. Any thoughts ideas I'm open to here them. Body work is coming along great finally. Got some prices on my seats the other day so thats the next step.
Old November 13th, 2010, 07:23 AM
65 post sport coupe w/425

Originally Posted by made in the usa
I'm going threw doing a complete restore. I want the car OE stock but i figure changing the intake carb and ignition can all be changed back out with no affect to the car. So I'm looking for a good 4 barrel intake and carb combo. Haven't even began to look into cams I'm building a cruiser not a race car. But want to add a little extra muscle for the big old girl its a 1967 olds delta 88 holiday coupe 425 super rocket. I am going to have some head work done but nothing serious. Hei for sure I'm thinking going with a 750 Barry grant street demon. I had great luck with these carbs but my one issue is i want to run a stock looking air cleaner paint the intake red. I want to hide most mods and get everything to fit under the hood with out any problems. The ignition thought about running factory distributor but with the msd conversion no more points i want to just drive long distance with no issues later. Any thoughts ideas I'm open to here them. Body work is coming along great finally. Got some prices on my seats the other day so thats the next step.
I've got a 67 425 from a delta in my 65 cutlass. I did a little more than what your planning but used a performer intake with an edelbrock 750 and the MSD plug & play distributor. Went with Edelbrock only because I'm not an expert carb guy and they are really easy to tune compared to a Holley. Rods and jets have easy access. My opinion, a 650 carb is about all you need if your not doing anything else. Also depends on whether your runnning headers, etc. There's certainly guys with much more experiance on here than me though.
Old November 13th, 2010, 08:31 AM

I would upgrade the cam. Make sure you know the cam bank angle so you get the right cam for it. I also would go with the Performer intake , you would save weight and it would be a better choice. Northern auto parts has good prices on an overhaul kit, like $339 IIRC.
Old November 13th, 2010, 09:23 AM
JoJoJr

Originally Posted by Oldsproject
I've got a 67 425 from a delta in my 65 cutlass. I did a little more than what your planning but used a performer intake with an edelbrock 750 and the MSD plug & play distributor. Went with Edelbrock only because I'm not an expert carb guy and they are really easy to tune compared to a Holley. Rods and jets have easy access. My opinion, a 650 carb is about all you need if your not doing anything else. Also depends on whether your runnning headers, etc. There's certainly guys with much more experiance on here than me though.
I have access to a 65 Jetstar 425 with true dual exhaust manifolds and a turbo 400 tranny, and I was gonna inquire as to what issues I'll face if I decide to drop that combo in my 65 Cutlass which has the 330 Hi comp and Jetaway. My engine is burning oil and the transmission was acting up but Trans X seems to have cured it I hope, and I'm being pushed by a buddy with a 65 GTO with a 454 an turbo 400 and his dad that has an old Buick 455 with a turbo out of an old 225 he's trying to talk me into dropping it into the car when I pull everything out for a major overhaul, and that 330 isn't the original because both the block casting and heads indicate it's a 67, and the carburetor is a 67 too!

I was just wondering if it was a simple bolt in with no issues considering it's a 65 engine and transmission, and whether there are exhaust manifold issues with the big dual style. I've heard the big block dual manifolds just won't work on the small block A body cars and I wanted to know if that's a certainty and whether that's if that is just some instances. I have a Non AC car with power steering and vacuum assist brakes, and to me it looks pretty roomy including steering box and shaft.

I thought, who better to ask than someone with a 425 in a 65 Cutlass?

Last edited by JustJordy; November 13th, 2010 at 09:25 AM. Reason: I used the wrong name for my automatic transmission.
Old November 13th, 2010, 08:28 PM
65 post sport coupe w/425

Originally Posted by JustJordy
I have access to a 65 Jetstar 425 with true dual exhaust manifolds and a turbo 400 tranny, and I was gonna inquire as to what issues I'll face if I decide to drop that combo in my 65 Cutlass which has the 330 Hi comp and Jetaway. My engine is burning oil and the transmission was acting up but Trans X seems to have cured it I hope, and I'm being pushed by a buddy with a 65 GTO with a 454 an turbo 400 and his dad that has an old Buick 455 with a turbo out of an old 225 he's trying to talk me into dropping it into the car when I pull everything out for a major overhaul, and that 330 isn't the original because both the block casting and heads indicate it's a 67, and the carburetor is a 67 too!

I was just wondering if it was a simple bolt in with no issues considering it's a 65 engine and transmission, and whether there are exhaust manifold issues with the big dual style. I've heard the big block dual manifolds just won't work on the small block A body cars and I wanted to know if that's a certainty and whether that's if that is just some instances. I have a Non AC car with power steering and vacuum assist brakes, and to me it looks pretty roomy including steering box and shaft.

I thought, who better to ask than someone with a 425 in a 65 Cutlass?
The motor is a plug and play. Will bolt in and can use your existing motor mounts. The big block will sit a little higher but everything will clear. Especially with a stock manifold. If you use the TH400 you'll need a different driveshaft and need to move your tranny brace. A TH350 bolts in and original drive shaft works. I'm not sure what the exhaust manifolds look like from a jetstar? I used hooker comp headers with 2.5" flowmaster. Keep in mind, the 65 442 body is a clone of the cutlass so no problems with big blocks fitting in. If you want some info, start another post or PM me. I don't want to hijack this thread.