intakes

Search this Thread

Old March 12th, 2018, 04:08 PM

intakes

what intakes have clearance for a gm hei distributor ?
i found a offenhouser torker manifold and the seller says the vacuum advance hits the back and has no room to turn, any suggestions would be helpful
Old March 12th, 2018, 04:48 PM

Is it an Offenhauser or is it a Torker? Offy doesn’t make the Torker.
Old March 12th, 2018, 05:22 PM

I have a Performer on my 64-F85 with a 67 400E, and had a Torker on the 67 442 I sold last year both with an HEI and had no clearance issues.These are made by Edelbrock. Like Mark asked, is it a Offenhouser? Then, I have no clue.
Old March 12th, 2018, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by cutlassefi
Is it an Offenhauser or is it a Torker? Offy doesn’t make the Torker.
all i know is he claims it is a ten year old offenhouser torker manifold for a 455. i will try to get a part no,
Old March 13th, 2018, 06:52 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by doggonn
all i know is he claims it is a ten year old offenhouser torker manifold for a 455. i will try to get a part no,
Then the seller has no idea what he really has. Again. EDELBROCK makes the Torker. Offenhauser makes different manifolds. Their flat single plane designs are less than optimum. Don't get a part number, get a photo.

This is a Torker:

This is a typical Offenhauser single plane Olds intake. Note that Offy makes several similar intakes. All have the same large rectangular plenum and short flat runners that are not optimum for most uses. Personally I am unimpressed by Offy intakes. The E-brock intakes are like headers, the Offy intakes are like factory exhaust manifolds.

Old March 13th, 2018, 07:16 AM

thanks joe for the input . i found a edelbrock torker manifold for a quadret on craigslist ,your picture shows the back of the torker is flat. it looks like the hei has more clearance than the offi what do you think? the torker i found has one oval hole on each side of carb . what are they for? he has them both capped. the one you pictured has only one on the rt side
Old March 13th, 2018, 07:19 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by doggonn
thanks joe for the input . i found a edelbrock torker manifold for a quadret on craigslist ,your picture shows the back of the torker is flat. it looks like the hei has more clearance than the offi what do you think? the torker i found has one oval hole on each side of carb . what are they for? he has them both capped. the one you pictured has only one on the rt side
The hole on the passenger side is for the 1970-up hot air choke stove. The oval hole on the driver side would be for EGR. I doubt that the Offy will clear an HEI.
Old March 14th, 2018, 05:35 AM

Offy does NOT clear HEI....