identify carbs for 1957 tripower

Search this Thread

Old January 17th, 2009, 08:43 PM

identify carbs for 1957 tripower

I just bought a 57 olds 88 four door that came with a tripower intake w/carbs. I would like to verify if these are correct carbs for this set up. Thanks for any help, Jeff.
Old January 18th, 2009, 09:26 AM

Welcome to the site

The name Tri-Power was used by Pontiac, not Olds. If your triple carb setup is factory, it is a J-2. Linkage was vacuum operated and secondaries were not progressive. They were either wide open or closed.

It would be most helpful, if you post pics.

Norm
Old January 18th, 2009, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by 88 coupe
Welcome to the site

The name Tri-Power was used by Pontiac, not Olds. If your triple carb setup is factory, it is a J-2. Linkage was vacuum operated and secondaries were not progressive. They were either wide open or closed.

It would be most helpful, if you post pics.

Norm
LOL I love how you correct people.

Norm I see where you got that from. But you forgot the first sentence.

When the center carburetor was opened to 60° or more engine vacuum drawn from the windshield wiper pump would simultaneously open the front and rear carburetors.

So not really a progressive linkage, but similar in concept. Compared to direct linkage. I thought the whole article was good so here it is.

J-2 Golden Rocket

The 1957 and 1958 J-2 Golden Rocket had three two-barrel carburetors with a vacuum-operated progressive linkage. Only the center carburetor was mechanically connected to the throttle pedal, and it was the only one equipped with a choke. When the center carburetor was opened to 60° or more engine vacuum drawn from the windshield wiper pump would simultaneously open the front and rear carburetors. These carburetors did not open progressively; they were either open or closed. The J-2 engine also had a slightly thinner head gasket, raising compression to 10.0:1. It was advertised with gross power and torque ratings of 312 hp (232 kW) @ 4600 rpm and 415 lb·ft (562 N·m) @ 2800 rpm. Oldsmobile charged $83 for the J-2 option.

In practice, owners who did not regularly drive hard enough to engage the front and rear carburetors experienced problems with the linkage and carburetor throats becoming clogged, and some J-2-equipped cars had the front and rear carburetors removed and blocked off. The package was expensive to produce, and Oldsmobile discontinued it after 1958
Old January 18th, 2009, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by f-85
........ I see where you got that from ........
You do not have a clue.

Norm
Old January 18th, 2009, 11:41 AM

You do not have a clue.

Norm

Well i can tell the the wording you used was exactly the same as the article i found. So it really doesnt matter what book or website it came from, its still the same.
Old January 18th, 2009, 02:31 PM

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ood-troll.html

Norm
Old January 18th, 2009, 03:05 PM

I love how you correct people rudely! Im sure your not really a mean person. You just come off that way! I was just helping my buddy strip his 3x2 348 for rebuilding last night. Only reason for my post was after seeing nbfalj's post it got me thinking more about 3x2 setups. I like to read and learn about Olds stuff, so i goggled J2. I know on my buddys 3x2 it has only a choke on the center, so i wanted to know more about the olds setup. Tats when i found the article i posted. I had no intentions of starting crap. Just wanted to help alittle. So sorry if i offended you by my comment i posted. Stop beeing such a grump! LOL
Old January 18th, 2009, 03:17 PM

Grump
Old January 18th, 2009, 05:23 PM

Here it is, again:

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ood-troll.html

Norm
Old January 19th, 2009, 05:35 AM
Past Administrator

Thread has been hi-jacked, take it to the PM.
Old January 19th, 2009, 08:35 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I can see my ignore list is working great. I recommend it for others. Life is better.
Old December 1st, 2012, 09:51 PM

Lightbulb Wot a crock

Turns out neither one of these guys know krap from canned corn about tripower carburetion, other than wot they read in car mag articles. If you want the str8 skinny on any 57 or 58 Rochester GM tripower setups, stop by my site and tip a can with me, while we get you back on the right road.
Old December 1st, 2012, 10:30 PM
Phantom Phixer

Originally Posted by Chillyww

Turns out neither one of these guys know krap from canned corn about tripower carburetion, other than wot they read in car mag articles. If you want the str8 skinny on any 57 or 58 Rochester GM tripower setups, stop by my site and tip a can with me, while we get you back on the right road.
what is your sight?
Old December 1st, 2012, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by Chillyww

[SIZE=3][COLOR=black]Turns out neither one of these guys know krap from canned corn about tripower carburetion

Wow- your first post and you blew it. Do some research and you will find out Norm is probably the most knowledgeable person on this site for vintage stuff PERIOD. So what is your site? It probably doesn't have any Olds info on there since you already should know tripower isn't a term used for 1957-'58 Oldsmobiles
Old December 2nd, 2012, 07:32 AM

Finding Chilly

Originally Posted by Charlie Jones
what is your sight?
Well Charlie, I think we can dialog on this site, or my Ebay store Chilbert's Custom Tripower by emails, and if you want to talk my cell# is on any of my tripower Ebay auctions under my Ebay ID. which is the same as here chillyww. I'm not sure they would want me putting it here. You can find my Ebay autions by putting the word tripower in the Ebay search window at the top of the Ebay Motors page.
Old December 2nd, 2012, 07:44 AM

Talking Here come the closet car mafia.

Originally Posted by 59-59-59
Wow- your first post and you blew it. Do some research and you will find out Norm is probably the most knowledgeable person on this site for vintage stuff PERIOD. So what is your site? It probably doesn't have any Olds info on there since you already should know tripower isn't a term used for 1957-'58 Oldsmobiles
You don't even know enough to set a decent size font that anyone could read. I've reuilt and sold more tripower sets in the last 40 yrs than the number of fleas on ur best coon dog. No matter what you think it's cool to call them, three 2V carbs on an intake manifold on any car is a tripower. In closing I'll borrow Norm's jargon, you don't have a clue.

Old December 2nd, 2012, 09:23 AM

Talking Chilbert's my name, Tripower's my game.

Here's the 27th J2 set I did in 2011 just to set the record str8 that I do Oldsmobiles as well as Cadillacs, Pontiacs, and Chevys. You will all be pleased to hear I probably won't be on here much longer to agravate the car magazine crowd as there is nothing they can teach me, and no one seems to crave the correct tripower info. Anyone who wants info or parts can get me at my Ebay Motors store (Chilbert's Custom Tripower). If the webmaster wants to erase my posts, that's ok as well. Wouldn't want to upset anyone's J2 apple cart. Have fun guys and keep those Popular Backyard Mechanics subscriptions current.
Old December 2nd, 2012, 09:44 AM

So, let me get this straight, you came on to this site to revive a nearly four year old thread and demonstrate to the world that you are a 3x2 expert (and from the general tone/giant font of your posts kind of a jerk)?

Also, if you need the font that size to read it, there's something wrong with the settings on your computer, or you need some/better glasses. Funny how the entire board has been able to get along with the standard font size for years. Perhaps you just think that your statements are so important that they ought to be bigger than everyone else's.
Old December 2nd, 2012, 10:03 AM

Not only is this thread four years old and the fact is Norm has been dead for three of those years, but he is grinning in his grave knowing that he is still pissing people off after all these years..... RIP Norm......Tedd
Old December 2nd, 2012, 10:22 AM

Cool I said I was leaving, but this caught me halfway out.

Well Chrissy let's see, I use decent size fonts so I don't have to squint, and because I'm not too computer illiterate to
to adjust it. But you are spot on that I'm a jerk for thinking there was any value to coming here. And as for my comments, they are just that, my comments. This is some kind of blog style site isn't it ?? If your in some kind of mind fight with me, your grossly unarmed.
Old December 2nd, 2012, 10:44 AM

Yep, just as I thought, I'm an idiot just like everybody else. As for the "mind fight," you don't know anything about me, and you continue to show the level of your intellect.

Also, I find the font size thing hilarious, because you making the size of your posts bigger doesn't really make anything easier for you, as all the other posts are still small.

I'm not sure if you came here to plug your business or just to be a *****, but you are right about one thing--there is no value in your being here.

It's also very clear you're not an Olds guy. One thing you learn early on is that people are sensitive about names, like calling OAI ram air, etc. I don't really know why, but that's just the way it always has been.
Old December 2nd, 2012, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by 442Chris
Yep, just as I thought, I'm an idiot just like everybody else. As for the "mind fight," you don't know anything about me, and you continue to show the level of your intellect.

Also, I find the font size thing hilarious, because you making the size of your posts bigger doesn't really make anything easier for you, as all the other posts are still small.

I'm not sure if you came here to plug your business or just to be a *****, but you are right about one thing--there is no value in your being here.

It's also very clear you're not an Olds guy. One thing you learn early on is that people are sensitive about names, like calling OAI ram air, etc. I don't really know why, but that's just the way it always has been.
Yepper Ur Right Bossman. 10-4 Over & Out. Color Me Gone.