How do 455 GA heads rate?

Search this Thread

Old April 7th, 2010, 09:54 PM

How do 455 GA heads rate?

Have a set of GA heads on my 72 455, Any feedback on these heads, please?

Dale
Old April 7th, 2010, 11:25 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Decent heads, usually 80cc combustion chambers and small valves.
71-76 pistons are where the 455 Olds' lose their compression. 40cc dish.
Old April 8th, 2010, 05:42 AM

They are a good head.
Old April 8th, 2010, 06:14 AM
Texas Jim

Originally Posted by 9teen68/442
Have a set of GA heads on my 72 455, Any feedback on these heads, please?

Dale
I don't know what your goal is w/ your 455, but I found that one gets the most bang f/ their buck using the factory heads, in your case the Ga heads, and along w/ after market valve trane components, having the heads cleaned up and a good valve job done by someone who knows how to do Olds heads. W/ good block work, and w/ a good cam and pistons, and then an intake, carb, headers and ignition, you can get around 425 hp and maybe 500 lb.ft. of torque. Pretty good f/ just bolt-on stuff and machine work. Ofcourse aluminum heads will get you more power, but costing you a bunch more money. If you're thinking $s per hp, the factory heads and bolt-on components is the way to go.
Old April 8th, 2010, 10:16 AM

I do have a set of C heads that I'm saving for another build, more radical. This particular engine, I pulled out of a parts car. From every indication the motor was professtionally built in 1992. I pulled a 370 hp W30 cam out of it and put a Lunati Bracket Master 2 in it. I'm sure that it was punched .030 over and the pistons replaced, I'm still researching the pistons. I do have project pics under my account. Mined you, this is a low bucks project and I am a man of limited resources, (money).

Dale
Old April 8th, 2010, 01:13 PM
Texas Jim

Originally Posted by 9teen68/442
I do have a set of C heads that I'm saving for another build, more radical. This particular engine, I pulled out of a parts car. From every indication the motor was professtionally built in 1992. I pulled a 370 hp W30 cam out of it and put a Lunati Bracket Master 2 in it. I'm sure that it was punched .030 over and the pistons replaced, I'm still researching the pistons. I do have project pics under my account. Mined you, this is a low bucks project and I am a man of limited resources, (money).

Dale
...and I think the 455 is a great build f/ someone on a budget, as the rods and crank, even f/ a higher performance build, are good to re-use, the heads and block work f/ re-use, even the big q-jet, which I really dislike, but works good f/ re-use. So, pistons and rings, bearings, gaskets, intake (if you want) and headers (if you want), but not necessary, really even the ignition can be used again successfully. It puts out alot of torque which is important in a good street motor w/ plenty of hp. Like I said earlier, the big displacement w/ the long stroke make the 455 a great strong street motor. I can't think of an engine I'd rather put a mild rebuild on due to it's over-all power and bottom end (crank and rods) strength. And I've been a Chevy man all my life.
Old April 8th, 2010, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Texas Jim
I don't know what your goal is w/ your 455, but I found that one gets the most bang f/ their buck using the factory heads, in your case the Ga heads, and along w/ after market valve trane components, having the heads cleaned up and a good valve job done by someone who knows how to do Olds heads. W/ good block work, and w/ a good cam and pistons, and then an intake, carb, headers and ignition, you can get around 425 hp and maybe 500 lb.ft. of torque. Pretty good f/ just bolt-on stuff and machine work. Ofcourse aluminum heads will get you more power, but costing you a bunch more money. If you're thinking $s per hp, the factory heads and bolt-on components is the way to go.
I disagree. What you need is someone who knows heads period. It doesn't matter what brand they are if they have the knowledge to do whats best for the application.

The guy who did the heads for Panos' build, Champion Race Heads, doesn't do many Olds heads but he's very good and does beautiful work.

You're right on the hp and tq though, 425/500 isn't too dificult on a 455.
Old April 8th, 2010, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by cutlassefi
I disagree. What you need is someone who knows heads period. It doesn't matter what brand they are if they have the knowledge to do whats best for the application.

The guy who did the heads for Panos' build, Champion Race Heads, doesn't do many Olds heads but he's very good and does beautiful work.

I am sure they do great work at Champion.
I would just think twice before I would drop them off at any old machine shop.
I tend to agree with Texas Jim.
JMO
Jim

Last edited by Warhead; April 8th, 2010 at 03:49 PM.
Old April 8th, 2010, 03:49 PM

The A in GA differant sizes on on cast?

The A in GA on the heads my motor has are differant sizes, left side, right side. insignificant you think?

Dale
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCN7833.jpg (105.7 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg
DSCN7834.jpg (101.1 KB, 89 views)
Old April 8th, 2010, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Warhead
I am sure they do great work at Champion.
I would just think twice before I would drop them off at any old machine shop.
I tend to agree with Texas Jim.
JMO
Jim
I hear you but I wouldn't drop anything off at any old machine shop.
Old April 10th, 2010, 06:37 AM
Texas Jim

Originally Posted by cutlassefi

I'd want to bring the block and heads to someone (the same place) who knows Olds, who's done Olds blocks. There's no way I'd take a chance w/ my block. Therefore, I'd want to go to someone who knows Olds, head and block. There are shops who do Chevys and who I'd never trust w/ an Olds block, simply because they have none or little experience w/ an Olds block. Bring it all to one place and a place who knows Olds. Just my opinion. Better to be safe than sorry.