Holley Red Electric Fuel Pump - Location

Search this Thread

Old February 8th, 2014, 03:48 PM

Holley Red Electric Fuel Pump - Location

I am replacing the original fuel pump in my 67 CS. Has anyone used the Holley Red? If so, where did you mount it?
Thanks,
Jim
Old February 8th, 2014, 04:07 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I haven't used a Holley Red but it is always best to mount it back close to the tank. Mine is mounted inside the frame rail near the tank. Electric fuel pumps are better at pushing fuel rather than pulling it.
Old February 8th, 2014, 04:28 PM

That's my dilemma... The pump needs to be mounted lower than the tank, with the pump in a vertical position, I don't really see any place that qualifies.
Old February 8th, 2014, 09:20 PM
Ben

I did this exact same thing this past fall.. SOme pics of what I did.

IMG_20130807_232927_268_zpsa3b0879e.jpg

IMG_20130807_233005_345_zps841f8062.jpg

The view taken at bumper level- can barely see them:
IMG_20130808_222449_330_zpsa19f591b.jpg

This would be if you were on the ground behind the car looking up...
IMG_20130808_222521_441_zpsea2b0dfb.jpg

Closer up shot:

The hoses are not close to anything (the photo makes it look like its close to the exhaust, but its not remotely close. I added a few rubber isolated brackets to hold the rubber lines in place. Its all very clean, and has been working well for the 500 or so miles since I fired it up in august.

The pump inlet tube IS slightly below the bottom of the tank, though its hard to see that from behind, but thats what i wanted. Luckily 64-67 a-bodies have quite a bit of space between the differential cover and the gas tank. 69-72 doesn't have that luxury.

The big brackets have thick 1/4" peices of rubber between them and the trunk floor- and inside the trunk, i have another 1/4" peice of rubber under the large washers & nuts.

The fuel pump is definitely loud- But luckily so is my engine. Only really notice it at startup & if you are sitting idling. Once moving down the road, can't hear it at all.

If/when it goes out, i'm going to switch to one of the edelbrock quiet flow units and see how much of a difference it makes.

Anyway- Hope this helps!

Last edited by RAMBOW; February 8th, 2014 at 09:22 PM.
Old February 8th, 2014, 09:28 PM
Ben

Hey Jim, just a follow on, Any particular reason you want to go with an electric pump vs a mechanical? You are running a stock 400 block, right? Or has it had some performance work added?

There are some excellent aftermarket mechanical fuel pumps available for oldsmobile, that would be much more reliable and quieter than the electric setup. the ROBBMC pump is what I'd pick if i had stock iron heads.

I had to go electric with my 455 swap because I've got aluminum heads, and they overhang on the front and factory mechanical pumps won't clear them w/o major grinding & clearance work- so an electric pump is the easy answer- but there are times when i wish i didn't have that buzzing sound coming from the back, as i mentioned- it hasn't even been 6 months and i'm already contemplating changing to a different "quieter" pump.

Just my $.02

Last edited by RAMBOW; February 8th, 2014 at 09:31 PM.
Old February 8th, 2014, 09:49 PM

Well, here are the reasons for the swap to an electric pump:
1. I have the 400 CID E block
2. Edelbrock HP manifold
3. Edelbrock 750
4. The mechanical is dead
5. I was informed that an electrical pump provides a better flow for my setup.
If a mechanical pump will still suffice, then I guess I have gone down the wrong path.

I already have the new Holley Red, along with the relay setup, so I will give it a go.
I was thinking of doing something similar to this:
Old February 8th, 2014, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by RAMBOW
Hey Jim, just a follow on, Any particular reason you want to go with an electric pump vs a mechanical? You are running a stock 400 block, right? Or has it had some performance work added?

There are some excellent aftermarket mechanical fuel pumps available for oldsmobile, that would be much more reliable and quieter than the electric setup. the ROBBMC pump is what I'd pick if i had stock iron heads.

I had to go electric with my 455 swap because I've got aluminum heads, and they overhang on the front and factory mechanical pumps won't clear them w/o major grinding & clearance work- so an electric pump is the easy answer- but there are times when i wish i didn't have that buzzing sound coming from the back, as i mentioned- it hasn't even been 6 months and i'm already contemplating changing to a different "quieter" pump.

Just my $.02
Well, here are the reasons for the swap to an electric pump:
1. I have the 400 CID E block
2. Edelbrock HP manifold
3. Edelbrock 750
4. The mechanical is dead
5. I was informed that an electrical pump provides a better flow for my setup.
If a mechanical pump will still suffice, then I guess I have gone down the wrong path.

I already have the new Holley Red, along with the relay setup, so I will give it a go.
I was thinking of doing something similar to this:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
100_0863.jpg (48.3 KB, 43 views)
Old February 10th, 2014, 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by RAMBOW
I did this exact same thing this past fall.. SOme pics of what I did.

The view taken at bumper level- can barely see them:

This would be if you were on the ground behind the car looking up...

Closer up shot:

The hoses are not close to anything (the photo makes it look like its close to the exhaust, but its not remotely close. I added a few rubber isolated brackets to hold the rubber lines in place. Its all very clean, and has been working well for the 500 or so miles since I fired it up in august.

The pump inlet tube IS slightly below the bottom of the tank, though its hard to see that from behind, but thats what i wanted. Luckily 64-67 a-bodies have quite a bit of space between the differential cover and the gas tank. 69-72 doesn't have that luxury.

The big brackets have thick 1/4" peices of rubber between them and the trunk floor- and inside the trunk, i have another 1/4" peice of rubber under the large washers & nuts.

The fuel pump is definitely loud- But luckily so is my engine. Only really notice it at startup & if you are sitting idling. Once moving down the road, can't hear it at all.

If/when it goes out, i'm going to switch to one of the edelbrock quiet flow units and see how much of a difference it makes.

Anyway- Hope this helps!
I'm not a fan of having the pump and or rubber lines what appears to be close to the exhaust system.