HELP! Book to rebuild my engine?

Search this Thread

Old January 12th, 2009, 08:14 PM

Exclamation HELP! Book to rebuild my engine?

Hey guys, long time no post. I have been floundering in my rebuild because I have been relying on people to help me with what I have no technical knowledge in. Apparently I haven't met the good shadetree mechanics that are reliable when they say they'll be over to help on the weekend. SO, the question I ask to you guys is, I am rebuilding a 68 Olds 455. Its all in one piece right now. I want a book that will kinda help guide me thru the disassembly process and reassembly once the parts get back from the shop. What are some good books for me to buy?
Old January 13th, 2009, 04:34 AM
Past Administrator

This is not the be-all to end-all but it can give you some good basic technical knowledge to get you on your way. Before you do anything though I would recommend that you find a good machinist you can trust that has some been recommended by local enthusiasts. Ask around at local car shows this spring, car club members, maybe go to the race track and inquire there. Then go and talk to this person and ask about ideas and prices and what he would require YOU to do so HE can rebuild your engine well.
Old January 13th, 2009, 06:39 AM

Oldsguy is right. And get yourself a shop manual if you dont have one now...Always good to have.
Everyone has their own idea how to build these engines. Depends what you want.
Find a reputable machine shop for sure. Lots of shady ones around promising quality for cheap. Be prepared to spend a few thousand
Old January 13th, 2009, 07:30 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Be sure the machinist knows Oldsmobile engines. They are not SB or BB Chevies. They are very different and require a machinist that understands that.
Old January 13th, 2009, 09:09 AM

Well, I have a buddy in town here who restored a 68 Cutlass and he has this shop that he highly recommends and says he'd like to put me in contact with. Hopefully get me a lil deal since I'm not made of money, but then again, who of us are, right?
I'll drop him a line today, thanks! Oh, and I have the Assembly manual, that's it so far. Does the Shop manual talk more about teardown and stuff?
Old January 13th, 2009, 09:11 AM

any oldsmobile machinists in jersey???

well I need to put the body back on the frame first, but want to have my 455 freshened up before i swap it in, just wondering if there were any recommendations for a machinist who understands oldsmobiles in jersey? I am in middlesex county not that that matters, I do NOT belong to any clubs etc and most of the folks where i am run chevy/ford and rice burners.... lotsa rice burners LOL.

I am not looking for a race build, just looking for some good reliability and decent HP, I figure a good stock rebuild should be ok?

I did get the mondello tech book, I have the oldmobile manuals for the car ( all three) but after reading some previous threads, and this one I am actually more confused then ever, I always "heard" mondello built a great olds motor, then all the other threads say be careful? I dunno, I don't even know now what should be done? I mean the cylinder bores look excellent, I pulled the heads on a supposedly 88,0000 mi 455 it has NO ridge, no scratches etc, it did have c heads but the smaller valves, do I need to put the bigger valves in? bore the motor? etc etc I know these are quaestions you should ask you machinist, hence my original question.
Old January 13th, 2009, 10:52 AM
Past Administrator

Some people that knew Joe Mondello or dealt with him when he was still running the company say they can see a marked difference in the service. They see the company as not so concerned about the Oldsmobile enthusiast as they are about the dollars they represent. Personally, I cannot comment as I have never used Mondello or their products and not for any particular reason, just haven't. As to becoming a customer and purchasing one of their engines I can only re-iterate my first statement. I think one would be better off using a local machinist with a good reputation, I have and am happy with the results.

edit: by the way Eddie "Beer....................................liqui d bread"
Old January 14th, 2009, 04:38 AM

If you dissasemble your engine with 88k miles on it you should at least hone the cylinders and install new bearings. You can't tell a cylinder is out of round just by looking at it and feeling it. There is a tool called a dial bore gauge that you set to the optimal diameter of the cylinder. Then you use it to measure the cylinder and see how "out of round" it is. When cylinders in an engine wear they wear out so they look sort of like a wine barrel if you were to look at them from the side. If you take your engine to a good machinist he should know how to do this. If he doesn't then get a new machinist.

Last edited by Olds64; January 14th, 2009 at 04:54 PM.
Old January 14th, 2009, 04:43 PM
2 '66 98's

Eddie Hansen - I see that you are in New Jersey. How far are you willing to travel to get the work done. The shop that does my work is near Mt Holly, about an hour from you. He is excellent - very meticulous. He is not "cheap" but not a robber either. He will take the time to discuss all the details as to what you want before before taking the job. Also, it will not be done overnight. He has lots of work and finish according to your schedule.
Old May 11th, 2010, 04:24 PM

Big Old - what is the shop? Can u put phone here?