Head Gasket??

Search this Thread

Old January 24th, 2016, 02:32 PM

Head Gasket??

So I bought an unfinished project a few months ago. Its a 71 Cutlass with a built 455 that came with Edelbrock heads. I had to have the heads checked out because I didn't trust them (long story there) I got them back from a very good machine shop and they looked great. I installed them and finished the top half of the engine. I got it running well, took it to get inspected and drove it around the neighborhood about three times probably a total of about 30 miles getting everything sorted out. All was well until the second to last time I drove it. I heard the coolant bubbling but the gauge (auto meter pro comp so it should be accurate) was only about 195. I assumed head gasket but I tried a cap first and it seemed to be ok when I drove it the last time. I had to fix a small leak around the thermostat housing so I drained the coolant and fixed it. Started it and it seemed fine. Then about a week later I went to start it and move it out of the garage and it seemed like a lot of white smoke. It was a very cold morning but still....a lot of white smoke. I pulled the cap off an it was already pressurized after running about 20-30 seconds and was bubbling out of the radiator like crazy. Now I assumed I screwed up the head gasket. I verified this morning, I pulled the cap, started cold and started bubbling out in just seconds of running.

So, I pulled the heads today and I don't see any evidence of a blown head gasket at all. I looked carefully between the head and gasket and block and gasket and I don't see anything that looks like it breached anywhere.

Now I am dumbfounded. Could anything else cause this? Maybe I didn't get a heater hose routed correctly? Maybe there was air in the coolant from the thermostat housing but it was bubbling before and the white smoke. Perhaps I just blew $100 on a new gasket set and my weekend for nothing?

I really would appreciate some wisdom here. Thank you in advance.

-jd
Old January 24th, 2016, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by jdmiller
So I bought an unfinished project a few months ago. Its a 71 Cutlass with a built 455 that came with Edelbrock heads. I had to have the heads checked out because I didn't trust them (long story there) I got them back from a very good machine shop and they looked great. I installed them and finished the top half of the engine. I got it running well, took it to get inspected and drove it around the neighborhood about three times probably a total of about 30 miles getting everything sorted out. All was well until the second to last time I drove it. I heard the coolant bubbling but the gauge (auto meter pro comp so it should be accurate) was only about 195. I assumed head gasket but I tried a cap first and it seemed to be ok when I drove it the last time. I had to fix a small leak around the thermostat housing so I drained the coolant and fixed it. Started it and it seemed fine. Then about a week later I went to start it and move it out of the garage and it seemed like a lot of white smoke. It was a very cold morning but still....a lot of white smoke. I pulled the cap off an it was already pressurized after running about 20-30 seconds and was bubbling out of the radiator like crazy. Now I assumed I screwed up the head gasket. I verified this morning, I pulled the cap, started cold and started bubbling out in just seconds of running.

So, I pulled the heads today and I don't see any evidence of a blown head gasket at all. I looked carefully between the head and gasket and block and gasket and I don't see anything that looks like it breached anywhere.

Now I am dumbfounded. Could anything else cause this? Maybe I didn't get a heater hose routed correctly? Maybe there was air in the coolant from the thermostat housing but it was bubbling before and the white smoke. Perhaps I just blew $100 on a new gasket set and my weekend for nothing?

I really would appreciate some wisdom here. Thank you in advance.

-jd
Couple things to think about proper torque on head bolts. Were the heads check for the surface?Was the block checked for surface? What compression is your engine? Also was the intake seal good? Sounds like a leak not a head gasket.
Old January 24th, 2016, 03:06 PM

I think the torque was right. I guess my torque wrench could be shot, I think I'll go get a new one when I put it back together. I did not re-torque the bolts but frankly I thought it needed more hot to cold cycles than it had before I could re-torque. Not sure what the compression is on the motor. The heads were decked by a reputable shop before I put them on. I suppose the block could be off.

When you say a leak, where would you look for the leak?
Old January 24th, 2016, 03:13 PM

Two places block cylinder and intake.{ If } the block surface is true and heads are true torque is correct. Were the heads ported?
Old January 24th, 2016, 03:20 PM

You have a pm. Welcome to the site.
Old January 24th, 2016, 03:25 PM

Could be head gasket or cracked head/s. I get a very smooth surface on the heads and block, and have had good luck with Corteco gaskets. They are hard to find now, since ROL bought them out, but I have a stockpile of them which I bought just before then. I have had trouble with Fel Pro if they aren't real new; the inner fiber stuff seems to dry out and allow coolant to channel through them.
Old January 24th, 2016, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Run to Rund
Could be head gasket or cracked head/s. I get a very smooth surface on the heads and block, and have had good luck with Corteco gaskets. They are hard to find now, since ROL bought them out, but I have a stockpile of them which I bought just before then. I have had trouble with Fel Pro if they aren't real new; the inner fiber stuff seems to dry out and allow coolant to channel through them.
Talked to him on the phone! Wrong gasket.
Old January 24th, 2016, 03:32 PM

You may not see hard evidence because the leak was very fresh. The coolant residue would have mixed with the spillage from taking the head off for inspection. My guess is the needed re-torquing. Not sure the is possible but check if your head bolts are too long.
Old January 24th, 2016, 04:35 PM

Looks like I used the wrong gasket. I knew it was my mistake somehow. It usually is. Thanks Guys!!!!
Old January 24th, 2016, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by jdmiller
Looks like I used the wrong gasket. I knew it was my mistake somehow. It usually is. Thanks Guys!!!!
Jd it was great talking to you. Stick around JD.
Old January 24th, 2016, 05:50 PM

Whew! Sometimes it feel good to be wrong.
Old January 24th, 2016, 07:30 PM

Well, is there a visual clue or something that can alert us to such a mismatch?

How can this [edit- this use of an incorrect head gasket] be prevented in the future?

Thanks

Last edited by Octania; January 25th, 2016 at 05:27 PM.
Old January 24th, 2016, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Octania
Well, is there a visual clue or something that can alert us to such a mismatch?

How can this be prevented in the future?

Thanks
Chris the answer is don't use a head gasket for iron heads on Ebrock heads. Is that clear enough.
Old January 25th, 2016, 08:04 AM
Beer Connoisseur

Originally Posted by wr1970
Chris the answer is don't use a head gasket for iron heads on Ebrock heads. Is that clear enough.
Damn man, why are you such a rude a$$hole?

It would be nice to know which head gasket was used and which head gasket needs to be used so somebody else doesn't make same mistake.

not sure if you get the concept of public forums and why people join them.

Last edited by 70cutty; January 25th, 2016 at 08:10 AM.
Old January 25th, 2016, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by 70cutty
Damn man, why are you such a rude a$$hole?

It would be nice to know which head gasket was used and which head gasket needs to be used so somebody else doesn't make a same mistake.

not sure if you get the concept of public forums and why people join them.
Why don't don't you look in the mirror!!!!! Using head gaskets made for iron heads will fail because of sealing.That is why for a ebrock head you use the correct gasket made for ebrock heads. That is why i said is that clear enough. You of course decide to take this one step more and are being rude! I guess because you have a agenda. The part numbers are common knowledge for guys who bother to look them up. I have them wrote down in my garage for reference. I am not sure you know what forums are for with your post!
Old January 25th, 2016, 08:27 AM
Beer Connoisseur

Obviously there are guys that don't know and are making the mistake, otherwise we wouldn't have this conversation. How hard is it to list the part numbers or just say don't use this one use this one?

I guess it's pretty hard, it's easier to be rude when Chris asked a legit question.
Old January 25th, 2016, 08:32 AM

Obviously there are guys that don't know and are making the mistake, otherwise we wouldn't have this conversation. How hard is it to list the part numbers or just say don't use this one use this one?

I guess it's pretty hard, it's easier to be rude when Chris asked a legit question.
This isn't a conversation you are totally in the wrong here period!
Old January 25th, 2016, 08:37 AM
Beer Connoisseur

To the OP, since wr1970 completely fails to understand the way Classicoldsmobile and it's members operate, would you please be kind and share what was wrong and how was it corrected?? Like, what part failed and what part is correct for the application.
That way this can be prevented in the future.
Thank you
Old January 25th, 2016, 08:59 AM

To the OP, since wr1970 completely fails to understand the way Classicoldsmobile and it's members operate, would you please be kind and share what was wrong and how was it corrected?? Like, what part failed and what part is correct for the application.
That way this can be prevented in the future.
Thank you
You are really out of line here!! I talked to JD on the phone he was using a gasket for Iron heads. He was using Edelbrock heads! I assume JD used Fel pro blue 1155 not sure as he said a regular head gasket. Now edelbrock says to use 7340. You operate out of rudeness because this is your agenda plain for all to see. Yes i looked it up because of your rudeness! There are several part numbers that i may not have posted. I know for a fact you need to use a headgasket that is for aluminum edelbrock heads not for iron when choosing a head gasket.
Old January 25th, 2016, 09:46 AM
Beer Connoisseur

How hard was that? This is what you should've done from the start.

Thank you for sharing the information.
Old January 25th, 2016, 09:52 AM

How hard was that? This is what you should've done from the start.

Thank you for sharing the information.
Get a check on your rudeness and a mirror check! I understand you have a problem! You assume to much! Does your your rude meter stay pegged only with me? Looks like a agenda!
Old January 25th, 2016, 05:36 PM

"I talked to JD... he was using a gasket for Iron heads... on Edelbrock AL heads.
Edelbrock says to use PN 7340.
There are several part numbers that I may not have posted."
=====================
That's kind of the info I was looking for there...
Skill sets vary, folks come here to learn and share info.

My head gasket experience is pretty limited compared to many here. I am aware of the usual blue teflon thing they sell at all stores, and the unobtainium factory steel shims, and have heard of Cometic brand but have no clue, really, what that means or involves. I reckon it's a sandwich of some sort.

It sounds like if one is to use AL heads [has never been a concern for me] then follow the manufacturer's recommendations.

Dirt cheap, $70/pr
http://www.jegs.com/i/Edelbrock/350/7340/10002/-1

http://www.autozone.com/1/products/1...rock-7340.html
Old January 25th, 2016, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Octania
"I talked to JD... he was using a gasket for Iron heads... on Edelbrock AL heads.
Edelbrock says to use PN 7340.
There are several part numbers that I may not have posted."
=====================
That's kind of the info I was looking for there...
Skill sets vary, folks come here to learn and share info.

My head gasket experience is pretty limited compared to many here. I am aware of the usual blue teflon thing they sell at all stores, and the unobtainium factory steel shims, and have heard of Cometic brand but have no clue, really, what that means or involves. I reckon it's a sandwich of some sort.

It sounds like if one is to use AL heads [has never been a concern for me] then follow the manufacturer's recommendations.

Dirt cheap, $70/pr
http://www.jegs.com/i/Edelbrock/350/7340/10002/-1

http://www.autozone.com/1/products/1...rock-7340.html
I am glad i pm you to let you know i was not trying to be rude toward you. I explained this to you and i did say i was sorry if you felt that i was.Thanks Chris i have learned a few things from you.

Last edited by wr1970; January 25th, 2016 at 05:49 PM.
Old January 27th, 2016, 05:40 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

The Edelbrock and Mr Gasket head gaskets are the old Corteco head gaskets. I like them but went with cheap Felpro head gaskets this last time. I had one Corteco blow on the Olds powered 4x4 but it had 5A heads with 7/16" head bolts and no bushings. Bought the last two Corteco intake and head gaskets for a song on the Rockauto closeout, they were fine till the trucks horrible end.
Old January 27th, 2016, 08:50 AM

So what is recommended for an aluminum head like a procomp
Old January 27th, 2016, 09:00 AM
Beer Connoisseur

Edelbrock 7340
Old January 27th, 2016, 09:50 AM

EFI suggests mr gasket ultra seal.
Old January 27th, 2016, 01:31 PM
Beer Connoisseur

Go with what mark says.
Old January 27th, 2016, 03:39 PM

You can use just about any of the Fel Pro blue gaskets (ie 1155 or 8171 PT1) on either an iron to iron build or aluminum to iron if you're not using any type of power adder. Those gaskets have a steel fire ring but no steel wire inside the steel ring. That's what makes the difference. The steel wire will damage an aluminum head. This is per the Fel Pro tech guys at the latest PRI.
And if you waste your money and buy the Edelbrock head gaskets you'll be surprised what you find once you open it. It's a regular Fel Pro blue that you just paid twice as much money for. I know I did it, once.
My preference however is as stated, the Mr Gasket Ultra seal (which may not be around too much longer due to the buyout) or the 8171. I've used both of those extensively with 0 issues.
Hope this helps.

Last edited by cutlassefi; January 27th, 2016 at 04:03 PM.
Old January 27th, 2016, 05:15 PM

Who bought Mr Gasket Mark?
Old January 27th, 2016, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by madmax442
Who bought Mr Gasket Mark?
MSD bought Mr Gasket, Accel, Mallory, Hays, and Lakewood last March. Then Holley bought all of that in Sept.
Old January 27th, 2016, 05:20 PM

Never mind, I just read MSD bought them as well as hays clutches, Mallory, Lakewood and QuickTime! Talk about taking over!
Old January 27th, 2016, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by cutlassefi
MSD bought Mr Gasket, Accel, Mallory, Hays, and Lakewood last March. Then Holley bought all of that in Sept.
Holy crap! I didn't read that! Holley bought all of them? How did that happen?
Old January 27th, 2016, 05:27 PM

Sorry to the OP! I didn't mean to hijack this thread! I am just out of the loop and had no ideal of all of the owner swapping of all these famous aftermarket brands! You learn something new everyday!
Old January 28th, 2016, 05:34 PM

I have had the Mr Gasket Ultra Seal on order through Jegs since 1/5, still dont have them, not sure if they will come. Just talked to Jegs, there gonna check tomorrow and see if their still available, then contact me.
Old July 13th, 2016, 04:52 PM

Cutlassefi, What about the cometics gaskets? Anyone use them?

Last edited by raxefab72; July 13th, 2016 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Forgot
Old July 13th, 2016, 07:23 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

If a proper smooth surface is used, Cometic MLS head gaskets are the best for any performance engine.