Harmonic Balance Wobble

Search this Thread

Old August 7th, 2010, 06:40 PM

Harmonic Balance Wobble

Hi Guy's I had a power steering belt flip on me I never seen this happen a few weeks ago I had the steering pump bracket off and had to shim it out to line it up w/the pulleys, Well I thought everything was fine I was at a car show and a guy told me my PS Belt flip inside out,so I looked at it and it was almost off the bottom pulley and the pulleys were not lined up something moved,So I cut the belt off to get the car home but I notice the bottom pulley had a little wobble in it when I give it a little gas It run smooth I'm not sure whats going on w/this Problem any Ideas Thanks Steve
Old August 9th, 2010, 12:30 AM

check the rubber in the balencer, ive seen it get old, shrink up, and fly off b4 its nasty if it pops off while its moving it will tear up your hole engine compartment
Old August 9th, 2010, 07:06 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by sx455raidercelticfan
check the rubber in the balencer, ive seen it get old, shrink up, and fly off b4 its nasty if it pops off while its moving it will tear up your hole engine compartment
The pulley bolts to the balancer hub, not the outer ring. The rubber has nothing to do with a pulley that wobbles. It's either a bent pulley or the pulley is not fully seated on the balancer pilot.
Old August 9th, 2010, 10:02 AM

Harmonic Balancer

I look at the pulley on the bottom one there is washers in between the pulley and balancer,Could that be the problem,it looks like there were added to line up w/the water pump,I have the bill for the engine rebuilt only thing I can see on bill is 1 Harmonic Balancer sleeve, I am trying to get in touch w/the builder it was a guy in Ft Lauderdale Fla,I really could use 2 brackets from a 67 w/air the ps/alt brackets that would solve one problem,Anyone know a good mech in my area Lexington sc I know a lot but this is out of my league Thanks Guys Steve
Old August 9th, 2010, 12:43 PM

Pulley

I talked to the guy who built the engine he had to put 2 washers on all four bolts, He told me to make sure the bolts were tight,I got under it and everything look good it bolts to the crank so your right must be the pulley I can deal w/that but is there anyway it could be the crank?I don't want to sound stupid but I'm not a master mech.Any suggestion Thank's Steve
Old August 9th, 2010, 12:49 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by sammieolds
Any suggestion Thank's Steve
Yeah, loose the washers. There should be nothing between the pulley and the balancer. The pulley is centered by fitting over the boss (called the pilot) in the center of the balancer hub. The factory didn't need any washers, so there's something wrong. Likely whoever built the motor used the wrong length water pump or the wrong pulleys and put the washers in to get the belts somewhat aligned. Send us some photos, but my bet is that you've got the long A/C water pump and the pulleys for the shorter non-A/C pump, which is why the spacers are needed. Use the correct parts and your problem will go away.
Old August 9th, 2010, 01:54 PM

Pulley

Joe I uploaded 3 pics to my album for now let me know the w/p pulley looks cockeyed?
Old August 9th, 2010, 02:22 PM
Old(s) Fart

Joe I uploaded 3 pics to my album for now let me know the w/p pulley looks cockeyed?
Well, you can't see the crank pulley in those photos, so it's hard to form an opinion. The WP pulley looks off, but that may be an optical illusion due to the shape of the water pump. Take all the belts off, rotate the WP pulley by hand, and see if it's really bent or not. Consider setting up some sort of temporary pointer to make it easier to see any runout. Also, look to see if there's a spacer under the WP pulley. There should not be. The three groove WP and crank pulleys should line up with no spacers. It's possible that the builder needed spacers to match the aftermarket compressor mounting. Also, are both spacers in place between the PS pump bracket and the block?
Old August 9th, 2010, 02:47 PM

water pump

can you tell if its a long or short water pump I say short am I right,I wont be able to start taking it apart until thurs I will post again when I do thank for the help when I take all the belts off I was going to start it to see what the crank pulley was doing before I take it off,
Old August 10th, 2010, 01:15 PM

Pulley

Well I think I found the problem Now I have to find a new pulley this one is 7 1/4 it measured 2 3/8 I measured it with the washers on top and its 2 1/2 I started it up and the damper looks fine to me Take a close look at the pulley Tell me what you think Any Ideas where I can get the right one,The power steering bracket needs to be straighten out I have to find a pulley 1st for the crank The water pump is a short one Thanks Steve
PS I uploaded the 2 pics to my album
Old August 10th, 2010, 01:32 PM
Old(s) Fart

Well I think I found the problem Now I have to find a new pulley this one is 7 1/4 it measured 2 3/8 I measured it with the washers on top and its 2 1/2 I started it up and the damper looks fine to me Take a close look at the pulley Tell me what you think Any Ideas where I can get the right one,The power steering bracket needs to be straighten out I have to find a pulley 1st for the crank The water pump is a short one Thanks Steve
PS I uploaded the 2 pics to my album
You need the fairly common three groove A/C pulleys. Shouldn't be that hard to find. The water pump should be about 6" from the gasket surface to the pulley flange. If you have a short one, the pulleys will not line up properly.
Old August 10th, 2010, 02:49 PM

Pulley

It 5 1/4 from the gasket to the end of hub ?