Guidance? Opinions? Facts?

Search this Thread

Old February 26th, 2016, 08:23 PM

Guidance? Opinions? Facts?

So I have my low compression 455 motor. I stumbled on a deal for the leftovers of a running 455 jet boat motor. So I'm getting .30 over pistons (not sure of brand but they say L2323 if I remember correctly. When I googled that all pistons that came up were high compression). Also getting roller rockers (unknown brand) a good set of C heads (stock according to seller). I guess the #8 rod bearing was going bad. He was going to rebuild but decided to go with a 454 instead.
He also has a Torker intake and and 750 double pumper I can get for an extra 150. Said boat ran at 140 degrees and never had any problems.
So my question is: Is the Torker intake better than the performer intake? I really don't have the extra $ for those things but I think it's a good deal so should I sneak around the wife's back and "borrow" from the savings acct? I'm assuming my 455 has a forged crank. (Just basing of stuff I've been reading). Is that better than a cast crank? Any ideas? Suggestions? I know nothing about the cams. Trying to get some stuff together before I tear that motor down. I'd like a better than stock motor. Mild street motor. A budget build and I want to raise the CR to higher compression but still want to run pump gas. I know cutlassefi is the guy to ask about cams or even whole builds. But I want input. Supposed to meet this guy tomorrow around 1. Thanks in advance. Boz
Old February 26th, 2016, 08:53 PM
rad

I'll try to go in order of your concerns, The L2323 (TRW Speed-pro) pistons are forged high compression ones, they claim they are at about 10.5:1 but they are probably closer to 9.5:1 by the time you figure head gasket and how far they set in the hole, The C heads are good heads, the roller rockers make it a plus, just get a good rebuild with a 5 angle valve job and they'll be fine for street use. If it were me I'd buy the torker with the holley carb, you can sell the torker or the performer I'd use the performer for a street engine and sell the torker on here or vise versa either way you'll get your 150 bucks back. With the rods just have them re-sized with ARP bolts, If your engine has a forged crank that would be a plus, but if it don't the cast one is not a problem for a street engine but have it balanced, as far as a cam goes I'll let Mark (cutlassefi) chime in on that one because there is sooo many opinions on cams and the technology has evolved more then I have.
Old February 26th, 2016, 09:03 PM

I don't have a performer, I was just curious if the Torker was better than the performer. Never gonna run on a track, street use only. Just want something a little on the wild side..lol
I'm able to get EVERYTHING FOR 300 bucks but I only really have 150. Maybe I'll just steal it from myself (savings) and just put it back a little at a time. It's just a great deal..
Old February 26th, 2016, 09:39 PM
rad

Originally Posted by Bozang1
I don't have a performer, I was just curious if the Torker was better than the performer. Never gonna run on a track, street use only. Just want something a little on the wild side..lol
I'm able to get EVERYTHING FOR 300 bucks but I only really have 150. Maybe I'll just steal it from myself (savings) and just put it back a little at a time. It's just a great deal..
I would spring for the torker it will work on the street as long as you don't have hood clearance issues, and 300 isn't a bad price, I just picked up 2 425s and some heads and a 455 crank for 200 plus a bunch of small stuff, alot of buying this stuff is just being at the right place at the right time and having a few bucks to strike when the iron is hot.
Old February 27th, 2016, 07:24 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Bozang1
"Better" depends on a lot that you haven't told us. What car is the motor going into? What gears? What trans? How heavy? What mods to the motor? What cam? Etc, etc.

The Performer is probably a better street intake for a relatively heavy car with a close-to-stock engine. The Torker makes more HP at higher RPMs, but that's worthless if you never spin the motor over 4500.
Old February 27th, 2016, 07:55 AM

Eventually going into my 72 cutlass. Most likely a TH400, not sure of gears yet, probably nothing crazy (I want to be able to cruise around and only stomp on it here and there). Like I said, this is a budget build so grabbing what I can, when I can. No rush to throw it together.
Old February 27th, 2016, 01:16 PM

Well, I bought it all. Hate to pass up a deal. That torker does look like it will be too high for under my hood. Guy really didn't want to get rid of that carb. Oh well, I got some stuff cheaper than if I was to go buy it all new. Score 1 for my budget build.
Old February 27th, 2016, 04:42 PM
same but different

I've never ran a holley on my car. I have a torker and quadrajet with stock air cleaner and element. Have also used an after market, with no hood clearance issues.
Old February 27th, 2016, 05:51 PM
71 cutlass convertible

I saw that on craigs. Glad someone picked it up. I thought about it but didn't have the extra money. Good luck with your build.
Old February 27th, 2016, 07:40 PM

I really didn't have the extra $ either but I just made it happen and will deal with anything that comes my way. I do have another source of some other parts for this and that will be in form of trade for something I have and don't need/want so so far it's going well...And the hunt continues
Old March 6th, 2016, 06:50 PM

Woohoo! Just got a 12 bolt posi with new brakes for 550!!! I gotta check it out to figure out the gears but it's suspected 273 gears. Another score for the budget build!!! And the search continues...