Good source for blocks?

Search this Thread

Old February 10th, 2010, 05:20 AM
Site Admin & Motorhead

Good source for blocks?

I got some bad news about my Olds... #7 cylinder looks like it's toast. Block will be sent off to be magnafluxed soon, may have to replace the block. Anyone know where a good source for a relatively inexpensive but good block would be? And a price range on them in general? Thanks....
Old February 10th, 2010, 05:32 AM

what cubic inch is the engine your looking for
Old February 10th, 2010, 05:38 AM

I've found Craigslist a good source for a used motor. But just a bare block would be less likely. I've got some extras in Oregon but don't know how much the shipping costs would add to it. The last couple 455 blocks I sold were $100 each. I have extra 350 blocks too but haven't sold one of those bare. $50 plus shipping?

If you don't find something closer let me know and I'll take a block down to my favorite machine shop to have it checked out. John
Old February 10th, 2010, 05:50 AM
Site Admin & Motorhead

Originally Posted by citcapp
what cubic inch is the engine your looking for
Sorry, d'oh, shoulda mentioned that huh? It's a 455.
Old February 10th, 2010, 05:54 AM
Site Admin & Motorhead

Originally Posted by 2blu442
I've found Craigslist a good source for a used motor. But just a bare block would be less likely. I've got some extras in Oregon but don't know how much the shipping costs would add to it. The last couple 455 blocks I sold were $100 each. I have extra 350 blocks too but haven't sold one of those bare. $50 plus shipping?

If you don't find something closer let me know and I'll take a block down to my favorite machine shop to have it checked out. John
My current motor came from Craigs list, which I normally love, but not anymore for this replacement. Only thing that's going to make me comfortable is (a) a new block, (b) a block that's been magnaflux tested and seller can prove its good, or (c) a block from a trusted source, like you. Can you please check what shipping would be to zip 80501? Many thanks!
Old February 10th, 2010, 05:54 AM

Anyone know where a good source for a relatively inexpensive but good block would be?
A junkyard would be a good place to look!

Just kidding. I hope the magnafluxing comes back good. Keep us posted.
Old February 10th, 2010, 06:23 AM
Site Admin & Motorhead

It likely won't. So now I need a block. Sounds like 2blu442 might be DA MAN who can help me though.
Old February 10th, 2010, 07:11 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Omicron
My current motor came from Craigs list, which I normally love, but not anymore for this replacement. Only thing that's going to make me comfortable is (a) a new block, (b) a block that's been magnaflux tested and seller can prove its good, or (c) a block from a trusted source, like you. Can you please check what shipping would be to zip 80501? Many thanks!
Good luck finding a new block. What is the actual problem? I've had good luck installing a sleeve to repair a single cylinder.
Old February 10th, 2010, 07:36 AM

What is wrong with the cylinder? Has it been bored once already? I have blocks,but I would try & fix yours,if possible,or find something closer.I've shipped whole engines,& bare blocks before. A bare block on a pallet will be 300lbs,class 85. I've entered a whole engine,on a pallet,at 650lbs,and it passed,so it must not be heavier than that.
Old February 10th, 2010, 07:46 AM
Site Admin & Motorhead

Purchased the engine used, had already been bored out to the max. #7 cylinder "popped" while on the dyno (4800 RPM and just hit 600 FtLbs of torque and climbing when it happened ) and wound up with smoke and leaking coolant. Pulled the heads off and it look.... odd is the best way to describe it. Almost pitted looking, and like the piston was scraping out a portion of it. If the block is otherwise good sleeving might be an option. If not, its the new or replacement block option. Figure while I wait on the results of the block test I can start running down a potential replacement.
Old February 10th, 2010, 09:26 AM
Texas Jim

The best thing (IMO) to do is get a block from a reputable source who will stand behind it/knows it's good, like 2blu442, or to get a new block from an aftermarket source. Unless you "know" somehow that the block or heads(same thing) are good f/ sure, you can't take just anyone's word f/ it. Used to be that guys didn't sell an engine/block/heads unless they knew f/ sure that it was good, motor-heads were honest w/ each other and their word was their bond, but now people just don't give a ****. After I took a beating on a set of heads in '83, and I went back to the guy and he basically told me that he and his son would kick my *** if I didn't get off his property, I never took anyone's word on engine components again. It seems to be like anything else these days, you get what you pay f/. Try to get away cheap, (I'm not saying not to be thrifty)and you pay twice. Murphy's Law at work.
When I got my 455, my 1st. Olds engine, I bought a whole car ('71 Olds 98) that was running and I knew the original/present owner. I pulled the engine and trans and sold the car itself.
Any time I've bought an engine, I not only knew that it was good, but also took into consideration that I HAD TO rebuild it, and offered the dollar amount that took my thoughts into consideration. I'd never go w/ buying an engine that was supposed to be new/just rebuilt, according to someone I hadn't SEEN do the work on the engine.
Just my personal thoughts, but better to be safe than sorry. And it sucks having to be skeptical of people in general. Good Luck.
Old February 10th, 2010, 10:51 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Texas Jim
...or to get a new block from an aftermarket source.
I'm curious about any source for a new 455 Olds block.
Old February 10th, 2010, 01:06 PM
Texas Jim

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
I'm curious about any source for a new 455 Olds block.

Joe,
Funny, but as I typed those words, I thought that although I'd never seen an Olds 455 in the Jegs catalog or any other, that surely there's one of the companies who sell them. I HAVE been a Chevy guy all my life, like I have said afew times. Now that you say this, I'm sure that you're right. And I just looked in the latest Jegs catalog and there isn't an Olds engine in there.
I have said before that I'm surprised that no one, including Edelbrock, makes ready to go/already flowing to the max out of the box heads f/ the Olds 455. And I suppose that this is one of the reasons why. Like I had thought, and said, not enough money in it.
My bad, and in one way I'm surprised, and in another way, I'm not. Thanks, Joe.
Old February 10th, 2010, 01:25 PM
Texas Jim

The best thing (IMO) to do is get a block from a reputable source who will stand behind it/knows it's good, like 2blu442, or to get a new block from an aftermarket source. Unless you "know" somehow that the block or heads(same thing) are good f/ sure, you can't take just anyone's word f/ it. Used to be that guys didn't sell an engine/block/heads unless they knew f/ sure that it was good, motor-heads were honest w/ each other and their word was their bond, but now people just don't give a ****. After I took a beating on a set of heads in '83, and I went back to the guy and he basically told me that he and his son would kick my *** if I didn't get off his property, I never took anyone's word on engine components again. It seems to be like anything else these days, you get what you pay f/. Try to get away cheap, (I'm not saying not to be thrifty)and you pay twice. Murphy's Law at work.
When I got my 455, my 1st. Olds engine, I bought a whole car ('71 Olds 98) that was running and I knew the original/present owner. I pulled the engine and trans and sold the car itself.
Any time I've bought an engine, I not only knew that it was good, but also took into consideration that I HAD TO rebuild it, and offered the dollar amount that took my thoughts into consideration. I'd never go w/ buying an engine that was supposed to be new/just rebuilt, according to someone I hadn't SEEN do the work on the engine.
Just my personal thoughts, but better to be safe than sorry. And it sucks having to be skeptical of people in general. Good Luck.
Joe set me straight, no one (aftermarket companies) makes 455 blocks, short blocks, or complete engines. Not like Chevys.
Maybe you should get that cylinder resleeved after-all..
Old February 10th, 2010, 01:44 PM

criagslist.com of course!
And all of the other olds forums!
I tend to look on racingjunk.com myself
and then theres hemmings its a couple folks out in CA who have olds parts
And last but not least junk yards. Speaking for myself central to south Fl always has one or two yards with blocks but thats here! Hope that was some help!
Old February 10th, 2010, 02:14 PM
Old(s) Fart

Here in the rust belt, it's usually cheaper to buy a rusted out Olds 98 or Toro, pull the motor, sell any other good parts, and scrap the rest.
Old February 10th, 2010, 04:02 PM

What a shame 600 ft lbs? What a stump puller. I've been down that road before. If you can go with a sleeve you can keep the costs wayyyyyyy down.
Old February 10th, 2010, 04:07 PM
Site Admin & Motorhead

I'm right there with ya. Current motor came from someone I didn't know directly or via the forums, and look where it got me. So new or reputable block this time and get it tested before I bolt it in place.
Old February 10th, 2010, 07:49 PM

no such thing as new blocks....nobody is making them. A Jeg's, Summit or large outfit that sells a ready-to-go "crate" 455 would be using used blocks and rebuilding them.

Sure--you could get "lucky" and find an NOS block BUT you would pay through the nose and I still wouldn't trust it without doing all the tests you do to used blocks to make sure they are fine.

These ain't Chevies!!
Old February 11th, 2010, 04:11 AM
Texas Jim

Originally Posted by 70Post
no such thing as new blocks....nobody is making them. A Jeg's, Summit or large outfit that sells a ready-to-go "crate" 455 would be using used blocks and rebuilding them.

Sure--you could get "lucky" and find an NOS block BUT you would pay through the nose and I still wouldn't trust it without doing all the tests you do to used blocks to make sure they are fine.

These ain't Chevies!!
Where are you located in Austin? I'd like to stop by your location.

In years to come, these Olds blocks/heads/complete engine/components will be hard to come by and worth some money.