Gasket set time

Search this Thread

Old July 18th, 2011, 12:54 PM
Registered car nut

Gasket set time

Have my short block home and heads are due back in days.
Yet to study/price out gasket set. Any better bet than others?
Fel Pro?

Also I have no head bolts. Are ARP needed ? I never hear of issues with head bolts. Mine is a mild build. Suggestions welcome.
Old July 18th, 2011, 01:19 PM
"Car"mudgeon

ARP head bolts are torque to yield, meaning good for one time use due to the bolt actually stretching. Stock head bolts can be reused over and over. Best to torque them "wet" and I would recommend using ARP ULTRA-TORQUE ASSEMBLY LUBE if you use stock bolts or ARP replacements. Also use proper torque sequence and intervals as recommended in the assembly manual. I've had great results with Fel-Pro. Just my opinion of course.

Scot
Old July 18th, 2011, 06:38 PM

The Olds ARP head bolts are not TTY bolts. You may use them over and over, and will infact last longer than the factory bolts, or stock style replacements. I have the "Pro Series" head bolts in my 455 http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ARP-280-3700/, they are probably more than I will ever really "need", but I have never used a better fastener, other than their stud kits (which I have in the mains). You should be okay with http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ARP-180-3600/

This is important. If you use a factory style fastener, only use the recommended lubricant and torque spec for that fastener. DO NOT use the ARP moly lube on a factory style fastener with the factory torque spec. The ARP moly lube is a far superior lubricant the regular the regular oils that the factory style fasteners generally use. You will end up over tightening your factory style fastener at a factory torque spec with ARP moly lube.

You will have 2 different torque specs for the ARP fasteners, one using regular oil and one using their moly lube. You will also notice that the ARP bolt torque specs and sequence will be different than your factory torque specs as their bolts do not stretch like a factory style fastener. Buy the moly lube, when you use it you will see why it is highly recommended by anyone who has used it. You will need to contact ARP to get the right torque specs for your head and block combo using their moly lube. It only takes a minute and they are more than happy to help. The last time I contacted them to double check my self on my BBO, I was glad I had the original sales receipt when the bolts were purchased as the torque specs had changed since due to a manufacturing change (that means is the info that I was given was wrong according to ARP when my bolts were manufactured).

That all sounds like way too much trouble. Trust me, it's way easier than I make it sound. Buy the ARP's once and you will never need to buy them again.
Old July 26th, 2011, 09:14 AM
Registered car nut

More gasket questions

http://www.summitracing.com/compare.aspx

Seems odd that my catalog at home only has Fel Pro gasket set listed for 425.
Here one has all but 425.
Is this like supreme headers?

What beside dist. gasket is different between these sets?
Sorry if I missed it. Don't want to order the wrong stuff.
thanks!
Old July 27th, 2011, 04:00 PM
Registered car nut

I'm so confused with the part# issues on Fel-Pro I am about to say screw it and get Victor Reinz.
Or Mr Gasket Ultra seals and piece together the rest?

Opinions (please!)
Old July 27th, 2011, 05:44 PM

Sorry man, I meant to go down to the garage and get a part number for you from my gasket set. I used the Victor Reinz engine gasket set on my BBO w/ Fel Pro 1356? intake gaskets. I have ran the Victor engine gasket sets on various mild street engines for years without ever having a problem.
Old July 27th, 2011, 06:12 PM

Mr Gasket Ultra Seals #5981.

Was the block honed with a torque plate? If so don't change bolts now, they won't pull the same way as stock ones so you'd be defeating the purpose of the torque plate.
Old July 27th, 2011, 07:00 PM
Registered car nut

Originally Posted by Bill in NC
Sorry man, I meant to go down to the garage and get a part number for you from my gasket set. I used the Victor Reinz engine gasket set on my BBO w/ Fel Pro 1356? intake gaskets. I have ran the Victor engine gasket sets on various mild street engines for years without ever having a problem.
Originally Posted by cutlassefi
Mr Gasket Ultra Seals #5981.

Was the block honed with a torque plate? If so don't change bolts now, they won't pull the same way as stock ones so you'd be defeating the purpose of the torque plate.
Thanks guys! The more info I get from you that have gone before me the easier it is for me to make my decisions.
No torque plate. In fact no head bolts at all. It was a project started that I am finishing. Lots of little parts missing.