Fresh Rebuild 67 442 PCV Sucking Oil

Search this Thread

Old November 1st, 2018, 09:57 AM

Composition Gaskets

Originally Posted by 66-3X2 442
The composition gaskets are easily cut out for the heat crossover if you can't find any already open.
Do you still have to use RTV on both sides of the gasket like the turkey pan gasket?
Old November 1st, 2018, 09:58 AM

[QUOTE=GM MUSCLE;1134185]If my intake gasket is leaking at the bottom inside, will it give me these symptoms of smoking out the tailpipe and sucking oil out the pcv?[/QUOT

Bottom line,unless there's nothing obvious in the vent system,the only option is to pull the intake. Chances are if the intake gasket is leaking pulling oil in with vacuum,it will be leaking water also. I know it's hard taking an engine apart but what's the option? From what I see,there's nothing wrong with your vent system,so...........
Old November 1st, 2018, 10:01 AM

[QUOTE=66-3X2 442;1134194]
Originally Posted by GM MUSCLE
If my intake gasket is leaking at the bottom inside, will it give me these symptoms of smoking out the tailpipe and sucking oil out the pcv?[/QUOT

Bottom line,unless there's nothing obvious in the vent system,the only option is to pull the intake. Chances are if the intake gasket is leaking pulling oil in with vacuum,it will be leaking water also. I know it's hard taking an engine apart but what's the option? From what I see,there's nothing wrong with your vent system,so...........
You're right Thank you
Old November 1st, 2018, 10:04 AM

Do you still have to use RTV on both sides of the gasket like the turkey pan gasket?
It's always good to use sealer on anything that might be an issue. Water passages especially and around where there might be a vacuum issue. It's engine building 101. When you pull the intake and see nothing wrong,change the lifters. I'm telling you there was a huge problem with defective lifters flooding the covers and making the engine pull oil in and smoke.

Last edited by 66-3X2 442; November 1st, 2018 at 10:07 AM.
Old November 1st, 2018, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by 66-3X2 442
It's always good to use sealer on anything that might be an issue. Water passages especially and around where there might be a vacuum issue. It's engine building 101. When you pull the intake and see nothing wrong,change the lifters. I'm telling you there was a huge problem with defective lifters flooding the covers and making the engine pull oil in and smoke.
Oh yeah, if I am pulling the intake, definitely new lifters after hearing all of the issues they had.. Thanks for your help! I will let you know what happens...
Old November 1st, 2018, 10:29 AM

Oh yeah, if I am pulling the intake, definitely new lifters after hearing all of the issues they had.. Thanks for your help! I will let you know what happens...
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but as you already know,you gotta problem that's got to be fixed. I had a buddy who had the exact same problem you did and he got a set of good used lifters from me,put them in and it fixed his problem.I do not encourage using used lifters but he didn't want to spend the $$$$ for expensive .921 lifters. At the time,NOS was the only choice but now there are good made in the USA .921 lifters available fro HyLift Johnson. I'm not sure about the price of them now but they were very reasonable last time I checked.

Last edited by 66-3X2 442; November 1st, 2018 at 10:33 AM.
Old November 1st, 2018, 12:11 PM
Administrator

If my intake gasket is leaking at the bottom inside, will it give me these symptoms of smoking out the tailpipe and sucking oil out the pcv?
A leaking manifold gasket will give symptoms of smoking out the tailpipe, but not the oil sucking in the pcv. You can run the engine for a while with the pcv line capped and see if your issue goes away. There would be no indication of oil under the carb as the oil goes direct into the cylinder and usually this problem makes the engine run like caca because of the vacuum leak. You can also take the breather off the other VC and spray a bunch of breaklean in there, if the idle jumps up the gasket is leaking.

My suggestion was to raise the pcv to create a distance gap for oil to drain back down before being sucked into the valve. I've done it with aftermarket VC's.
Old November 1st, 2018, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
A leaking manifold gasket will give symptoms of smoking out the tailpipe, but not the oil sucking in the pcv. You can run the engine for a while with the pcv line capped and see if your issue goes away. There would be no indication of oil under the carb as the oil goes direct into the cylinder and usually this problem makes the engine run like caca because of the vacuum leak. You can also take the breather off the other VC and spray a bunch of breaklean in there, if the idle jumps up the gasket is leaking.

My suggestion was to raise the pcv to create a distance gap for oil to drain back down before being sucked into the valve. I've done it with aftermarket VC's.
I think he said he put the stock covers back on with the same result.
Old November 1st, 2018, 01:40 PM

Thanks guys for the tip on this post. Done....
Old November 1st, 2018, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by therobski

Thanks guys for the tip on this post. Done....
Ah,I see the old vented oil fill cap.
Old November 1st, 2018, 02:16 PM
72Cutlass S

[QUOTE][/QUOTEWouldn't that result in your face being in the carburetor?

you can perform this with the air cleaner on and yes it does. It also helps to have long arms. Its not like you have to remain in that position for 10 minutes. If there is a problem you should know in 30 seconds or less.
Old October 25th, 2023, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by therobski
HMM I wonder if the drain holes on that head are partially blocked and there's excess oil ?? Thus oil is not draining down the pan sufficiently? I hooked my PVC valve up manifold vacuum in the front of the Q-jet. 67 400E in my 64 F-85. Oil pressure good?
What is your PVC hose connected to? It looks like a rubber cylinder piece. My PVC hose is connected directly to the PVC valve with a little clamp to keep it tight.
Old October 27th, 2023, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by matchek
What is your PVC hose connected to? It looks like a rubber cylinder piece. My PVC hose is connected directly to the PVC valve with a little clamp to keep it tight.
You are responding to a 5 year old thread...