Exhaust System

Search this Thread

Old September 7th, 2009, 02:38 PM
Gary

Exhaust System

Has anyone used Classic Exhaust before? If so was it a good fit? I have priced a system from Gardner already. Also is there a big advantage using aluminize vs stainless on a system? http://classicexhaustinc.com/
Old September 7th, 2009, 02:52 PM
Land Yacht Captain

I find it odd that they give huge ranges in years but no mention of specific models.
Old September 7th, 2009, 03:27 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by gh5168
Has anyone used Classic Exhaust before? If so was it a good fit? I have priced a system from Gardner already. Also is there a big advantage using aluminize vs stainless on a system? http://classicexhaustinc.com/
Stainless will never rust. Aluminized will eventually rust when the aluminizing wears off, usually at the clamps or hangers.
Old September 7th, 2009, 05:07 PM
67 heavy metal

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Stainless will never rust. Aluminized will eventually rust when the aluminizing wears off, usually at the clamps or hangers.
I would guess that would be due to the fact of cheap metal clamps.I used to buy stainless clamps but the auto store I used to get them from doesn't sell them any more they said it was too exspensive to keep stocking them.I would like to find some more will have to keep looking.
Old September 7th, 2009, 05:29 PM
Gary

Originally Posted by 66ninetyeightls
I find it odd that they give huge ranges in years but no mention of specific models.
So did I.
Old September 7th, 2009, 05:29 PM
Land Yacht Captain

How can they be giving accurate quotes like this???

OLDSMOBILE 1927-48 ALL
$230 Add to Cart
$475 Add to Cart
OLDSMOBILE 1949-74 SINGLE
$270 Add to Cart
$575 Add to Cart
OLDSMOBILE 1949-74 DUALS
$320 Add to Cart
$775 Add to Cart
Old September 7th, 2009, 08:09 PM
2 '66 98's

Exhaust System

Believe it or not you can get Stainless clamps from JC Whitney

http://www.jcwhitney.com/Clamps-Hang...2705_10101.jcw
Old September 7th, 2009, 08:36 PM
67 heavy metal

I forgot about them they have some good stuff there.I have been looking at a few parts in the past for my cars but funding isn't there so I havn't been looking as much latly.
Old September 7th, 2009, 09:28 PM
Registered

I got my dual exhaust system from Classic and it fits like a glove, the place is is about an hour from me.
It was ready in a day, gave me a deal since I picked it up, nice guy.
Old September 9th, 2009, 06:42 PM

have a new set of headers, chrome ... bought two yrs. ago but do not fit my convertible ... how does 300 sound?

Also ... concerned about crankcase pressure on my recent 455, built to about 500/500 ... now has about 1000 mi ... I am having trouble getting it to seal up when I fix leaks ... wondering if the crankcase pressure is high? any thoughts? Also, starter motor only engages a little over half way into flexplate ring gear ... perhaps the wrong mount? Has anyone he\ad such issues? Bob Lynch
Old September 9th, 2009, 06:44 PM
is Fast Enough ...

Originally Posted by Bluevista
I got my dual exhaust system from Classic and it fits like a glove, the place is is about an hour from me.
It was ready in a day, gave me a deal since I picked it up, nice guy.
What size, what mufflers, crossover ..?
Old September 9th, 2009, 06:50 PM

Be Careful

Old September 10th, 2009, 04:02 AM
Land Yacht Captain

What does this have to do with gh5168's thread?????? Don't highjack somebody elses thread. If you have questions start one of your own.

Originally Posted by Bob Lynch
have a new set of headers, chrome ... bought two yrs. ago but do not fit my convertible ... how does 300 sound?

Also ... concerned about crankcase pressure on my recent 455, built to about 500/500 ... now has about 1000 mi ... I am having trouble getting it to seal up when I fix leaks ... wondering if the crankcase pressure is high? any thoughts? Also, starter motor only engages a little over half way into flexplate ring gear ... perhaps the wrong mount? Has anyone he\ad such issues? Bob Lynch
Old September 10th, 2009, 04:42 AM
Trying to remember member

Originally Posted by delmontcrusier
I would guess that would be due to the fact of cheap metal clamps.I used to buy stainless clamps but the auto store I used to get them from doesn't sell them any more they said it was too exspensive to keep stocking them.I would like to find some more will have to keep looking.
Autozone here stocks 2", 2-1/2", and 3".
Old September 10th, 2009, 06:37 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by mugzilla
What size, what mufflers, crossover ..?
It's 2-1/4" o.d. aluminized to the mufflers with 2" tailpipes, I don't know what gauge but it's way heavier than the stock pipe I had, 275 bucks for everything.
The mufflers are stock flat oval type that I requested, I think they're Maremont, boxes are around here somewhere?, they were included along with decent generic hangers and clamps.
He also flanged and cut out and welded a cap piece to a short piece of pipe for a block-off for the crossover opening on the right side manifold that was included along with a flange clamp.

I wanted it to look stock so no crossover, I was going back and forth on it and he said he could weld one in if I wanted to later. It runs fine but if I go to a 4 barrel someday I may do one.

The 350 equipped '71 Vista Cruiser wasn't available with duals so he used the 455 specs and compensated for differences in height or something?, he explained it but....

I took this pic a while ago, procured and installed the correct tailpipe hangers and band clamps for them since.

Attachment 8822

Last edited by Bluevista; September 10th, 2009 at 06:41 AM.
Old September 10th, 2009, 07:29 AM
Gary

It's 2-1/4" o.d. aluminized to the mufflers with 2" tailpipes, I don't know what gauge but it's way heavier than the stock pipe I had, 275 bucks for everything.
The mufflers are stock flat oval type that I requested, I think they're Maremont, boxes are around here somewhere?, they were included along with decent generic hangers and clamps.
He also flanged and cut out and welded a cap piece to a short piece of pipe for a block-off for the crossover opening on the right side manifold that was included along with a flange clamp.

I wanted it to look stock so no crossover, I was going back and forth on it and he said he could weld one in if I wanted to later. It runs fine but if I go to a 4 barrel someday I may do one.

The 350 equipped '71 Vista Cruiser wasn't available with duals so he used the 455 specs and compensated for differences in height or something?, he explained it but....

I took this pic a while ago, procured and installed the correct tailpipe hangers and band clamps for them since.

Attachment 8822
thanks that helps a lot. I called him Tuesday and he was a really friendly guy. He told me that the aluminun will eventually rust he said maybe 10-15yrs. I still have not decided between the aluminun or stainless. I too like you want it to look stock.
Old September 10th, 2009, 07:38 AM
67 heavy metal

Originally Posted by wmachine
Autozone here stocks 2", 2-1/2", and 3".
thanks for the info I will have to check out the local autozone and see if they do infact have them.

Oh bluevista the link to your picture doesnot work it says invalid or somthing and shows talk to administrator.
Old September 10th, 2009, 08:12 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by delmontcrusier
Originally Posted by joe_padavano
It has nothing to do with the quality of the clamps. Even stainless clamps will wear the aluminizing off the steel pipes eventually. At that point, the pipe (not the clamp) is what rusts.

Of course, my ten year old Chevy truck with 211K miles on it is still using the original, factory aluminized exhaust system. It is getting close to being time to replace it.
Old September 10th, 2009, 11:03 AM
is Fast Enough ...

Attachment 8822
I had been quoted 600 bucks and more ...

I finally ran into a guy that had a prebent set and used my old head pipes as they were in very good shape, I wound up using flowmasters and a x over behind the tranny ...

$250 plus he put my trumpet tips in and lined them up nice ...