engine power guesstimate

Search this Thread

Old March 3rd, 2011, 06:28 PM

engine power guesstimate

anybody want to take a guess at how much hp/tq my engine will make after its finished, i just want an idea.

its going to be a 455 block bored 60 over, dish top pistons, 425 7" rods, stock 455 crank, 400 A casting heads with valve job, http://www.summitracing.com/parts/LUN-00080LK/ cam, holley 750, whatever aluminum intake i can get my hands on, true dual manifolds into dual 2.5" exhaust.
Old March 4th, 2011, 06:43 AM
Administrator

Probably a whole lot less than you think, but it will sound good! I'll bite at 385 not knowing compression!
Old March 4th, 2011, 12:44 PM

Not sure what piston you're using with a 425 rod and a 455 crank, but I'll say 350hp. Not enough cam for much more than that, especially without headers.
Jmo but I don't think it'll sound that great either, sorry. My friend had the exact same cam in his Edelbrock headed 455, couldn't hear it hardly at all, and that was with headers and 1 chamber mufflers.
Old March 4th, 2011, 07:59 PM

well i have 455 rods but i figured using longer 7" rods would help, also shouldnt a 455 make more than 350hp stock? what im mainly after is torque, my dad had an 84 cutlass street car he built with almost the same setup as my 455, his went 9.28 in the quarter, he wasnt running anything fancy either just manifolds, shallow dish pistons, heads were done, i forget but i think they were g casting, aluminum intake, rebuilt qjet, and ill have to see what cam he had but you get the picture it was crazy fast, ate th400s like nothin, he had a gn 8.5 rear. i just dont know how his got so fast, im sure he has references if you guys dont believe me. im not lookin for 9s like his but atleast high 10s
Old March 4th, 2011, 08:02 PM

also could anyone suggest a cam to make the most hp/tq
Old March 4th, 2011, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by 45586cutlass
well i have 455 rods but i figured using longer 7" rods would help, also shouldnt a 455 make more than 350hp stock? what im mainly after is torque, my dad had an 84 cutlass street car he built with almost the same setup as my 455, his went 9.28 in the quarter, he wasnt running anything fancy either just manifolds, shallow dish pistons, heads were done, i forget but i think they were g casting, aluminum intake, rebuilt qjet, and ill have to see what cam he had but you get the picture it was crazy fast, ate th400s like nothin, he had a gn 8.5 rear. i just dont know how his got so fast, im sure he has references if you guys dont believe me. im not lookin for 9s like his but atleast high 10s
Do you have any idea how much power it takes to run that fast? Yeah you can do it with 350hp, in a go kart.
Me thinks you have your info wrong. With all due respect, no, I don't believe you.
Anyone?
Old March 4th, 2011, 08:39 PM

Me thinks you have yourinfo wrong a stock455 could make 400hp,the guy who helped him build it is mike innes if that means anything to you,he had a mid 8 second street cutlass from what my dad tells me, he would blow most peoples doors off with the ac on
Old March 5th, 2011, 04:17 AM

Me thinks you have yourinfo wrong a stock455 could make 400hp,the guy who helped him build it is mike innes if that means anything to you,he had a mid 8 second street cutlass from what my dad tells me, he would blow most peoples doors off with the ac on
Maybe 1/8 mile.
Old March 5th, 2011, 05:35 AM

To run 10s in a 1/4 I would say you need at least 600hp The parts you using wont even come close to that. Please do more research.
Old March 5th, 2011, 05:46 AM

Wow, while streetable is debatable, I have yet to see or even hear of a mid 8 second street Fiero, much less a cutlass, unless as Ziff says he's talking 1/8 mile. I wouldn't mess with Cutlass EFI. He's got lots of real world knowledge, and engine building experience. He has built, and helped build many engines for members here.

The trouble you run into equating HP/Tq #s and timeslips is that the whole combination from radiator to rear axle bolts needs to be planned, designed, and built to work together.

Your original question was horsepower#'s, not 1/4 mile times. Which would you prefer?
Old March 5th, 2011, 06:24 AM

Got a dyno sheet or bonafide time slip? If so I'm all ears.
Old March 5th, 2011, 06:31 AM

Gotta be 1/8 mile - NFW in the 1/4!!
Unless it had a 2000 nitros shot and 20" wide tires!!
MPH on that run would tell a lot.
Old March 5th, 2011, 06:47 AM

I'm kinda lookin at this-Norm like.

anybody want to take a guess at how much hp/tq my engine will make after its finished, i just want an idea.
235 at the wheels-what you actually feel-any other number will be as inflated as the output's ego.

also shouldnt a 455 make more than 350hp stock?
NO. Most made 250. Many factors involved, including compression

whatever aluminum intake i can get my hands on
i just dont know how his got so fast, im sure he has references if you guys dont believe me. im not lookin for 9s like his but atleast high 10s
an 84 cutlass street car he built with almost the same setup as my 455, his went 9.28 in the quarter, he wasnt running anything fancy either just manifolds, shallow dish pistons, heads were done, i forget but i think they were g casting, aluminum intake, rebuilt qjet, and ill have to see what cam he had
1/8 mile.
Most everyone on this site will be cordial, and polite as it should be. If you have any sort of documentation to back up these claims, please post it for all to see.
You can slap plates on any racecar, but would you enjoy driving it?
REALLY?????

Jim
Old March 5th, 2011, 07:26 AM

wow....

I have to agree that those 1/4 mile times sound really fast on what seems to be a very mild sounding build, unless as was said nitrous... even so it sounds nutz.
I have just had my 455 done and No I did not have it dynoed..

but I am running a 455, .030 over,
N crank, cross drilled and chamferred, oil restrictors
eagle rods
arp bolts through out
forged ICON pistons 9.5-9.7 compression
c heads, bowls cleaned up, mild port
harlan sharp roller rockers on big studs
edelbrock performer, ports matched, heat cross over blocked
HV oil pump
Milodon 5 qt pan ( 6 with filter)
rejetted 780 q-jet
pertronix upgrade ignition
stock Manifolds..
custom Erson Cam, from Cutlassfi

My builder feels we have "about" 375- 400 Honest ponies at the flywheel

time slips will tell, I hope to get into the 14's with the 3.08 rear, and the 4 speed, 9's??? I better double up on the depends!!!
Old March 5th, 2011, 11:17 AM

I have a .030 455 in my Olds. JE pistons with a true calculated 10.997 to 1 compression, Edelbrock aluminum heads with a light cleanup port and valve angle job, Comp Hyd. flat tappet cam custom ground(Not sure of specs. Engine guy ordered it after flowing the heads) Edelbrock Torker intake with a 750 Demon carb, and an MSD Pro Billet dist. with a Digital 6 box. I dynoed it at 479 hp, and 540 tq. with an average of 523 ft/lb of torque.
I havn't taken it to the strip so I have not got numbers on my car but a dragstrip simulator program my brother in law has shows my car potentially pulling an 11.6 in the quarter and I can pull on my buddys Dodge Charger that has in fact run a 12.2. I'm thinking the times are for an 1/8th mile that 45586cutlass speaks of
Old March 5th, 2011, 06:55 PM

if you guys have never heard of a mid 8 second street car u need to step up ur game, this was back in the early 90s when mike had his mid 8 second cutlass, had a 455 with basically everything you could get for it back then all top notch performance parts, also ran a 600hp fogger system which in fact did get him down the track in the mid 8 range and mid 9s running his ac without the nos.
Old March 5th, 2011, 07:16 PM

Is Mike (proper name) on the ROP fastest Olds power list?
Old March 5th, 2011, 07:34 PM

doubt it he doesnt mess with engines or anything anymore
Old March 5th, 2011, 07:36 PM

doubt it he doesnt mess with engines or anything anymore
Tell us what does he mess with now?
Old March 5th, 2011, 07:41 PM

nothing hes retired, threw out his back smartass
Old March 6th, 2011, 07:09 AM

[quote=45586cutlass;259259]if you guys have never heard of a mid 8 second street car u need to step up ur game, this was back in the early 90s when mike had his mid 8 second cutlass, had a 455 with basically everything you could get for it back then all top notch performance parts, also ran a 600hp fogger system which in fact did get him down the track in the mid 8 range and mid 9s running his ac without the nos.[/quote]

So by adding a 600hp fogger system he only knocks 1 second off his time, hmmm.

And as far as being a smartass, I'm not the one making all these claims without being able to produce any proof.

Last edited by cutlassefi; March 6th, 2011 at 07:16 AM.
Old March 6th, 2011, 08:28 AM

[quote=cutlassefi;259350]
if you guys have never heard of a mid 8 second street car u need to step up ur game, this was back in the early 90s when mike had his mid 8 second cutlass, had a 455 with basically everything you could get for it back then all top notch performance parts, also ran a 600hp fogger system which in fact did get him down the track in the mid 8 range and mid 9s running his ac without the nos.[/quote]

So by adding a 600hp fogger system he only knocks 1 second off his time, hmmm.

And as far as being a smartass, I'm not the one making all these claims without being able to produce any proof.
Mark, nobody makes a 600 HP Fogger, this as big as it gets.
http://www.holley.com/04467NOS.asp

Everyone knows where this thread is going.

No foul language.
Old March 6th, 2011, 08:39 AM

[quote=Warhead;259372]
Originally Posted by cutlassefi

Mark, nobody makes a 600 HP Fogger, this as big as it gets. I know, I think you know where I was going with that.
http://www.holley.com/04467NOS.asp

Everyone knows where this thread is going. Yes, I'm done here.

No foul language.
Old March 6th, 2011, 10:04 AM

Do you have any idea how much power it takes to run that fast? Yeah you can do it with 350hp, in a go kart.
Me thinks you have your info wrong. With all due respect, no, I don't believe you.
Anyone?
X2, no way.
Old March 6th, 2011, 02:55 PM
Texas Jim

45586Cutlass,
W/ all due respect, a mid-8 second car would spin the belt off of an A/C compressor, so let's leave that alone. If you ever ran anything at the track, you'd understand that you're insulting our intellegence w/ what you're saying, "step up our game." There are 8 second street cars, yes, pro-street cars run even (saw one in HotRod that ran a 6.99 sec. 1/4 mi.) 7s, nothing you just drive around on a Saturday night, and surely nothing w/ A/C. And a 455 Olds engine powering this 8 sec. street car? Even a 9 sec. Olds Cutlass... Check out acouple of guys on here who drag their Olds on weekends, look at what they have and start over again. This is the REAL world, and these guys, along w/ myself, are treating you nice, even after your being arrogant w/ very unreal stories. Let's squash this and start again somewhere sometime. Sincerely, Jimmy.
Old March 6th, 2011, 04:22 PM

im not gonna argue anymore, you guys all seem to think you know everything and i have seen some VERY idiotic comments, like: "a mid-8 second car would spin the belt off of an A/C compressor", "nobody makes a 600 HP Fogger, this as big as it gets.
http://www.holley.com/04467NOS.asp" it says right on it 500+ HP wow cant read i guess,"You can slap plates on any racecar, but would you enjoy driving it?" both my dads and mike's had full interior and a/c, and they both drove them regularly, "you're insulting our intellegence w/ what you're saying" well saying a mid 8 car would spin the belt off the a/c compressor makes me think you have no intelligence whatsoever. yes my dads car ran 9.28 ONCE that was a good day with race fuel and wider tires, his would run 10s daily on street tires, mike's 455 was built to the gills bored 120 over with chevy 454 pistons and tons of machine work which let him run a 600 hp 455 with a 600 hp fogger system and would run 9s daily street ready and low 8s on slicks with the fogger system. one day ill get my dad to become a member on this ignorant forum and you can ask him all the questions you want on what you are all doing wrong.
Old March 6th, 2011, 05:16 PM
Administrator

Wow, Flashback, grammer school, my dad can beat your dad!!! PLease kill this thread!!!
Old March 6th, 2011, 06:30 PM
Texas Jim

Cool

Well, If I had a mid 8 sec. car, I'd run A/C so I wouldn't have to open the driver door when backing up after getting the tires good and hot. The A/C would make it nice and cool, and the belt probably would stay on during a 7 grand hole shot and shifting alttle above that, even if I gave it a 200 shot in the process. : ) I mean who hasn't turned on the A/C when the Eliminations start in the heat of the afternoon???

*A 9.28 sec. 1/4 mi. w/ just manifolds, no headers...In the 35 plus years (closer to 40) that I've been going to big name drag strips, I've never seen that. Were they "Mondello" manifolds??? : )

Last edited by Texas Jim; March 6th, 2011 at 06:46 PM.
Old March 6th, 2011, 09:40 PM

im not gonna argue anymore, you guys all seem to think you know everything and i have seen some very idiotic comments, like: "a mid-8 second car would spin the belt off of an a/c compressor", "nobody makes a 600 hp fogger, this as big as it gets.
Http://www.holley.com/04467nos.asp" it says right on it 500+ hp wow cant read i guess,"you can slap plates on any racecar, but would you enjoy driving it?" both my dads and mike's had full interior and a/c, and they both drove them regularly, "you're insulting our intellegence w/ what you're saying" well saying a mid 8 car would spin the belt off the a/c compressor makes me think you have no intelligence whatsoever. Yes my dads car ran 9.28 once that was a good day with race fuel and wider tires, his would run 10s daily on street tires, mike's 455 was built to the gills bored 120 over with chevy 454 pistons and tons of machine work which let him run a 600 hp 455 with a 600 hp fogger system and would run 9s daily street ready and low 8s on slicks with the fogger system. one day ill get my dad to become a member on this ignorant forum and you can ask him all the questions you want on what you are all doing wrong.
If he can get a moment to spare I would appreciate--I am just a beginner so the nascar knowledge (if I may refer to it that way ) would be real helpful to me . I wouldn`t speak for the others but a hard copy of those 1/4 times would impress!!!
Actually, your dad wouldn`t need to be a member --you can just post the detail as he gives it to you.
Good Luck
ps --You will understand I guess that the thread could be closed if you can`t verify these numbers.

Last edited by geckonz08; March 6th, 2011 at 09:47 PM. Reason: need to add comment
Old March 29th, 2011, 11:36 AM

im not gonna argue anymore, you guys all seem to think you know everything and i have seen some VERY idiotic comments, like: "a mid-8 second car would spin the belt off of an A/C compressor", "nobody makes a 600 HP Fogger, this as big as it gets.
http://www.holley.com/04467NOS.asp" it says right on it 500+ HP wow cant read i guess,"You can slap plates on any racecar, but would you enjoy driving it?" both my dads and mike's had full interior and a/c, and they both drove them regularly, "you're insulting our intellegence w/ what you're saying" well saying a mid 8 car would spin the belt off the a/c compressor makes me think you have no intelligence whatsoever. yes my dads car ran 9.28 ONCE that was a good day with race fuel and wider tires, his would run 10s daily on street tires, mike's 455 was built to the gills bored 120 over with chevy 454 pistons and tons of machine work which let him run a 600 hp 455 with a 600 hp fogger system and would run 9s daily street ready and low 8s on slicks with the fogger system. one day ill get my dad to become a member on this ignorant forum and you can ask him all the questions you want on what you are all doing wrong.

Hey hold up buddie, settle down. You put a post here asking for their input on your engine build, they gave you advice and this is how you are treating them! Come on,this isn't a fight on a bloody play ground, it's a forum for us olds junkies to talk to each other and share our stories and info.When it comes to cutlassefi the guy know's his s&%t.He will be doing a 350 build for me, basically to the nines and it will be running around 450hp/475torque. This guy's done a tonne of engine's shipped all over the world. All they want is prof of what you are saying, prove and we will believe. Were all friends here,so enough said.
Old March 29th, 2011, 11:51 AM

I once had a bicycle with a banana seat and a 3 speed on it. That thing would go like a bat out of hell down hill.
________
Toys Webcams

Last edited by Axeni; August 12th, 2011 at 04:18 PM.
Old March 29th, 2011, 03:45 PM

Thought I clicked the wrong link and was on ROP for a minute. But then everyone was way too nice.
Old March 29th, 2011, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Axeni
I once had a bicycle with a banana seat and a 3 speed on it. That thing would go like a bat out of hell down hill.
You had cards in the spokes too didn't you? Fess up!!!

Kyle, thank you for the nice words, I try to help. I've been on the other side as well.
Old March 29th, 2011, 06:52 PM

You had cards in the spokes too didn't you? Fess up!!!

Kyle, thank you for the nice words, I try to help. I've been on the other side as well.
You too?

Many here knows what it takes to run those numbers, and Mark, as well as many others, know their stuff. Many here are racers, have been racers. Work in, or have worked in shops.
Been down a drag strip in their own car.

We can all get along, but we should talk through our mouths, nicely. If you have big claims, new info you'd like to share, have pic's, part numbers, document YOUR experience. We'd love to hear it-I know I would.

Please do NOT put a 500 horse Nitrous kit onto a 455 with stock crank and rods. It WILL exploded.
JMO
Jim
Old March 29th, 2011, 07:39 PM

Wow, just wow.
Old March 29th, 2011, 07:54 PM

LMFAO.....this thread humors me.

OP: What kind of HP can I get with this combo??

Forum: This much horsepower is realistic
OP: Well that's gay, I know with a 1.21 jigawatt flux capacitor on my buddies car he can do Mach 4

Forum: Okay , sure.
OP: You guys are all dumb
Forum: Really ??

A friend of mine races nationwide with a $25,000 1500hp Shafiroff big block and a
400hp fogger IIRC. He's doing high 8's and low 9's in a blacked out 1979 Camaro
that weighs a few hundred pounds less. This is his competition class he wins almost
every year.....it's harder to get a specific speed then to go ***** out down the track.
Takes better timing and control. NMCA former champion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pOM0GbPDeI

Last edited by Aceshigh; March 29th, 2011 at 08:07 PM.
Old March 30th, 2011, 05:08 PM

low 9s should not be a problem,just just fine a high cliff with a good down draft and go for it.
Old May 1st, 2011, 04:22 PM

Heh heh... Memory lane!
Old May 1st, 2011, 09:45 PM

18 posts and you've succeeded in pissing off a whole forum...way to go dude. I think one lesson you should've learned from your dad is when to shut up and recognize that you are outgunned.

I believe what you are trying to tell me is that my 455 .060" over (468) with Keith Black flat top pistons, vacuum robbing high duration cam, PORTED Edelbrock aluminum heads, PORTED Torker intake, and 850 Mighty Demon, w/ Thorley headers is going to LOSE to your less than stock piece of crap engine?

Now do you understand why you've succeeded in pissing people off? Here's a better idea, pull your head out of your *** and go ask daddy if he was running 1/8 Mile or 1/4 Mile...bet you my membership his *** says 1/8.

P.S. I am friends with Tony Schumacher - Believe me? I bet not...
Old May 1st, 2011, 10:18 PM

First time I met Tony, he was about waist high to me, [around 1967] and Don had "Stardust" running in the garage in Park Ridge. Eye watering time!!
Maybe his Dad borrowed some 'NITRO' to go that quick!
Still like to hear a MPH on those '9+10 second' passes!

Quick Reply: engine power guesstimate