Engine paint

Search this Thread

Old October 1st, 2012, 08:07 PM

Engine paint

I am looking for who has the best deal on Oldsmobile blue engine paint for my 1970 455.

My motor is on the stand and this is the final step before she is ready to go in.

Thanks,

Brian
Old October 2nd, 2012, 04:42 AM

Fusick or Inline Tube has the correct 455 blue engine paint.Get at least 2 cans,to make sure you have enough.
Old October 2nd, 2012, 05:16 AM

On my convertible engine I found the Fusik blue to be too light. The Supercars unlimited blue was the most accurate but it's not the cheapest. Watch out for pricing / oz. though, the Fusik paint looks cheaper but it's a 10 oz. can if I remember correctly. I had 2 cans and it was almost enough for 2 coats. Still, it's a little light. Check it out in my convertible build thread link in my signature.
Old October 2nd, 2012, 06:29 AM

Do you want the best deal or the best match and quality?

Bill Hirsch has probably some of the best (correct) paint out there.

http://www.hirschauto.com/

John
Old October 2nd, 2012, 06:53 AM

Too bad they charge over $13 for shipping for a spray can.
Old October 2nd, 2012, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by 69'442
Too bad they charge over $13 for shipping for a spray can.
I don't think I paid that much shipping for two cans...but it was 6 months or more ago..

John
Old October 2nd, 2012, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by Fastbrianman
I am looking for who has the best deal on Oldsmobile blue engine paint for my 1970 455.

Brian
I just went through this with my 455. The best "deal" might be NAPA if they still sell it. Tamraz had it for $13.99 a can, but Fusick, Hirsch, Inline Tube and Supercars Unlimited ranged from $16.50 -$18.99 a can but i don't remember how many ounces per can.

They all claim "perfect match" and there are opinions galore about what's correct. When I spoke to James Kryta of Inline Tube, he thinks there's more than one original shade of the 455 blue. The one he matched to was the slightly lighter of the original shade(s) of blue that he's apparently seen, and it was the one i bought. It looks VERY nice. I had NAPA paint on this engine in the early '90s and it was a very light metallic blue. I had the Supercars Unlimited paint after that and it was pretty dark. Good luck.
Old October 2nd, 2012, 08:50 AM
Olds Dreamer

I have done the fusick, tamraz and parts place. tamraz is way to light. fuzick and parts place look alot alike but i get most complaments on the parts place one.
Old October 2nd, 2012, 09:04 AM

Are there any that don't burn off the center of the intake. The fusick paint I bought did.
Old October 2nd, 2012, 09:17 AM

I use the paint made by Bill Hirsch.I get it in the 1 quart can,and I brush it on.It's nice & thick,and dries without any brush marks.It has not burned off of my center ports as of yet,and it's been a good decade or more.I've had it on other engines for longer.Recently I did hear that it was no longer available,or Bill Hirsch is no longer in business.Does anyone know for sure?

I also think that there were many shades of the 455 blue.Every time they made a batch,the color probably varied each time.
Old October 2nd, 2012, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by 507OLDS
.Recently I did hear that it was no longer available,or Bill Hirsch is no longer in business.Does anyone know for sure?
http://www.hirschauto.com/ the website is still up.
Old October 3rd, 2012, 08:55 AM
Lance

The darker paint from Supercars Unlimited that ah64pilot and Joe spoke of matched the original paint on my engine.

001.jpgACBRACKET010.jpg
Old October 3rd, 2012, 09:17 AM

Hirsch has the best blue, their Bronze not so much so.

Supercars looks good also (Rocket Vapor) I would try that just to support Supercars.

Last edited by Nilsson; October 3rd, 2012 at 09:20 AM.
Old October 4th, 2012, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by Eightupman
Do you want the best deal or the best match and quality?

Bill Hirsch has probably some of the best (correct) paint out there.

http://www.hirschauto.com/

John
hey guys,

it seems like the Bill Hirsch website it still up and running so hopefully the business is still around. I really like the idea of brushing the paint on as the engine is in the car and it will take a lot of masking to make sure there's no overspray using spray cans. I think my biggest concern would be painting the valve covers or any other smooth surfaces that really do need to be sprayed. Is the Bill Hirsch paint easily sprayed for parts like that? If so, I'm thinking I could spray any parts I need to off the car, brush the block and then just do any touch ups on the bolts, etc if necessary. The pic I attached is from a related post and I think that color looks very good and close to the original. I think you probably get a thicker coat by brushing the paint as well.

What do you guys think?

thanks!
John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Olds engine blue.jpg (53.2 KB, 37 views)
Old October 4th, 2012, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by 76 Regency
hey guys,

it seems like the Bill Hirsch website it still up and running so hopefully the business is still around. I really like the idea of brushing the paint on as the engine is in the car and it will take a lot of masking to make sure there's no overspray using spray cans. I think my biggest concern would be painting the valve covers or any other smooth surfaces that really do need to be sprayed. Is the Bill Hirsch paint easily sprayed for parts like that? If so, I'm thinking I could spray any parts I need to off the car, brush the block and then just do any touch ups on the bolts, etc if necessary. The pic I attached is from a related post and I think that color looks very good and close to the original. I think you probably get a thicker coat by brushing the paint as well.

What do you guys think?

thanks!
John

Masking is a pain. A trick I picked up is to use aluminum foil. You can cover just about anything you do not want painted cover it squeeze it so it stays in place, stuff in into nooks and crannies ect. There are still times you need to mask but it will be alot less.
Old October 4th, 2012, 07:18 AM

I've used the brush-on Hirsch paint on valave covers & oil pans,and it dried with no brush marks,nice & smooth.I think it could be sprayed,if desired,but I never tried it.
Old October 4th, 2012, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by Nilsson
Masking is a pain. A trick I picked up is to use aluminum foil. You can cover just about anything you do not want painted cover it squeeze it so it stays in place, stuff in into nooks and crannies ect. There are still times you need to mask but it will be alot less.

good trick! I'll have to give that a shot. Thanks!
Old October 4th, 2012, 07:22 AM

I've used the brush-on Hirsch paint on valave covers & oil pans,and it dried with no brush marks,nice & smooth.I think it could be sprayed,if desired,but I never tried it.
Thanks! The website says it can be sprayed. I'll give them a call and see what they say about reducing it, etc. I am really liking the idea of brushing the engine now that I think about it.

Thanks!
John
Old October 20th, 2012, 05:05 PM

Thanks for all the info. Great responses and a lot of usefull Ideas. That is what I love about this sight.

Thanks! The website says it can be sprayed. I'll give them a call and see what they say about reducing it, etc. I am really liking the idea of brushing the engine now that I think about it.

Thanks!
John

I will be interested to see what you found out about this.

Thanks,

Brian
Old October 20th, 2012, 07:34 PM

Herschel and spray

I used Hirsch paint with the engine out. I used a foam brush as suggested but wasn't happy. It seemed using a brush tended to leave too little paint on the texture of the cast parts. The tiny bumps had too little paint. I did the second coat with a preval spray kit. This was much better but I did have to use reducer. Bill Hirsch told me I didn't need reducer but the paint was so thick it just wouldn't work. I used about 25% reducer and the engine looks great. I'm not into actual spraying so the valve covers took a few coats with in between sanding but ended up really nice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (77.2 KB, 39 views)
Old October 22nd, 2012, 06:26 PM

455 blue

Originally Posted by Fastbrianman

My motor is on the stand and this is the final step before she is ready to go in.

Thanks,

Brian
i got my paint from Brothers Automotive and it seemed to be an exact match to what was already on the engine. that was a few years ago but i can't remember what i paid for the three cans that i got from them. it is very durable, and has not burned of the engine in any location what so ever. i know a lot of our members don't like dealing with BAP, because of the poor service, but they are another source to consider. best of luck, hope you find a good match.

John Paul