Electric fuel pump mounting

Search this Thread

Old March 31st, 2010, 04:04 PM

Electric fuel pump mounting

Any one care to share any pics or ideas of where to mount a fuel pump and filter on a 86 cutlass?
Old April 1st, 2010, 04:15 AM
Texas Jim

I had always mounted my electric fuel pumps in the rear right next to the fuel tank, w/ a bracket attaching it to the frame. I also try to mount the pump where it's not going to be in the line of dirt coming from the road and/or off the tire, not a hard thing to do. The electric pump, from what I've always understood, works the best mounted as close as possible to the fuel source. Always mount a good big fuel filter in-line between the tank and the pump so not to get any junk in the pump coming from the tank. The big "fuel injection" fuel filters work well. And what I've done many times, is to use the steel fuel tank vent line f/ a return line and then just use a vented tank cap. "T" the line just before the carb and after the fuel pressure regulator, which you can mount on the fender well or wherever it's convenient and easy to hook your pressure gauge in. Run the "T"d line to the tank vent line which is now your return line. This, ofcourse, will help keep the fuel from sitting there getting hot waiting to get into the carb, having cooler fuel f/ the engine. This is easy to do and works well, and is easy to make a clean job of.
I think, in short, I've told you all there is to it. I'm on my first cup of coffee, but I think I've included all the little detail there is.
Good Luck!!!
Old April 1st, 2010, 04:55 AM

Most electric pumps do not have the ability to pull or suck.They push the fuel,& need to be gravity-fed.That is why they should be at the lowest point of the fuel system.
Old April 1st, 2010, 08:51 AM
Texas Jim

Originally Posted by 507OLDS
Most electric pumps do not have the ability to pull or suck.They push the fuel,& need to be gravity-fed.That is why they should be at the lowest point of the fuel system.
So, would you suggest that the pump be "below" the bottom of the fuel source (tank) in order to perform efficiently?
Like I said, I always mount the pump on the rear frame rail which is right next to the tank. My understanding has always been to have the pump close as possible to the tank, which is most likely pertaining to the same theory you're referring to w/ the pump pushing rather than pulling the fuel. W/ the fuel feed coming out of the top of the tank, and the pump being atleast level w/ the bottom of the tank, is that not low enough to pump the fuel efficiently? I've installed many electric pumps in this manner over the years, since the mid 70s, and never had any issues w/ low pump pressure or premature pump failure, however, if there is any newer theory, new meaning in the last 20 years, LOL, I, in all honesty, wouldn't know about it, as I'm using the same application procedure as I have f/ well over 30 years. Only twice I've used something besides Mallory pumps and regulators, as even the sound of mallory pumps are much friendlier than any others in my opinion, and I know that Mallory is a quality outfit. I also know that Mallory is alittle more expensive than it's competitors.
And, 507, anymore input you have on this topic would be appreciated. It's evident that you're currently in the game and up on the new happenings. Thanks.
Old April 1st, 2010, 10:22 AM

Yes,you have the right idea. Even with a sumped tank,I have found that it will quit pumping once the fuel level is below the pump,so as long as it is at the lowest point on the whole system,it should pump the fuel.
Old April 2nd, 2010, 08:09 AM
Texas Jim

Originally Posted by 507OLDS
Yes,you have the right idea. Even with a sumped tank,I have found that it will quit pumping once the fuel level is below the pump,so as long as it is at the lowest point on the whole system,it should pump the fuel.

What brand of pump and regulator do you use/like the most and why?
Your car, again, looks great.
Old April 6th, 2010, 05:47 AM

I liked my original Mallory 140.It was real quiet,but very touchy.The smallest particle of debris would lock it up,so then you would have to take it apart & clean it.This was with a real good pre-filter,but just wasn't enough. I switched to an Aeromotive,& never had any issues,just a little noisier,but not bad. The Magna-Fuel parts are good too.
Old April 6th, 2010, 08:31 AM
Texas Jim

Yes, one of the reasons I liked the Mallory, it's quiet w/ little vibration. I never had any issues w/ the pump stopping up w/ trash. Like I said, I used the large fuel injection filters (fram) right off the shelf, between the tank and pump.
Thanks f/ the input, 507. Always good to get good info from other hands-on wrench turners.
Old April 6th, 2010, 11:41 AM

I don't have pics but we mount ours on the passenger side frame rail right in front of the rear wheel right where it curves up to go over teh axle.