electric choke conversion for '68 4MV Quadrajet

Search this Thread

Old December 30th, 2013, 12:47 PM

electric choke conversion for '68 4MV Quadrajet

Hi -
Does anyone know how to convert a '68 4MV divorced choke
QJet to electric choke? I have replaced the cracked stock manifold with an Edlbrock performer and there is no provision for the thermostatic spring. All thought are welcome!!
Thanks,
Beepac
Old December 30th, 2013, 03:18 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by beepac
Hi -
Does anyone know how to convert a '68 4MV divorced choke
QJet to electric choke? I have replaced the cracked stock manifold with an Edlbrock performer and there is no provision for the thermostatic spring. All thought are welcome!!
Thanks,
Beepac
It's been a long time since I rebuilt a Qjet with divorced choke, but I seem to remember that the plate that holds the choke linkage on the side of the carb uses the same bolt holes and shaft location as the integral choke housing for a hot-air choke. I'm pretty sure that you can swap the parts to install the choke housing on the carb and then use an electric choke coil.

Now I'll have to dig up a pre-1970 Qjet in the morning and confirm this...
Old January 9th, 2014, 02:59 PM

Thanks Joe

Would it be possible to get a Qjet 750cfm 4MC carb with hot air choke and convert it to electric? There seems to be plenty of kits available online to do this. Was the 4MV carb used on all Olds in '68?
By the way you have an incredible (and enviable!) car collection.
Some day I hope to get a 442...........

Thanks Again!

Brian
Old January 9th, 2014, 03:12 PM
Old(s) Fart

Would it be possible to get a Qjet 750cfm 4MC carb with hot air choke and convert it to electric? There seems to be plenty of kits available online to do this. Was the 4MV carb used on all Olds in '68?
By the way you have an incredible (and enviable!) car collection.
Some day I hope to get a 442...........

Thanks Again!

Brian
Brian,

Yes and yes. Once you have a 4MC carb, simply replace the hot air choke coil with an electric one. I use the coil from a mid-1980s Chevy pickup when I do this.

Be sure to discard the gasket between the choke coil and the housing so that the electric choke coil can ground to the housing. Wire it as described here.
Old January 9th, 2014, 03:19 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

First, though the choke assemblies seem like they should interchange between divorced and hot air (I've never actually swapped them), I am not sure that the air suction hole is present in the 4MV, and it may have to be (precisely) drilled.

Would it be possible to get a Qjet 750cfm 4MC carb with hot air choke and convert it to electric?
That's easy:
  1. Unscrew non-hot-air cover / spring
  2. Screw on hot-air cover / spring
  3. Run wire.

There seems to be plenty of kits available online to do this.
No kit needed. Just get the hot-air choke cover / spring and some wire, and a 3-terminal oil pressure switch, and see Joe Padovano's thread on the subject.

Was the 4MV carb used on all Olds in '68?
No. Many had the 2GC ("2-Jet").

- Eric

edit: Joe, you were faster on the draw!
Old January 9th, 2014, 04:39 PM

I have converted converted carbs back to divorced choke.

It's been a while, but it can be done. As I recall it's not QUITE as easy as the external bits and a suction hole. The vertical link rod is different due to the link on the end of the choke shaft differing, and on the one type it is not removable, so you have to swap out the choke shaft or the entire air horn.

Right now I cannot recall why you can't just leave the internal pcs and choke shaft as it is, but there was a good reason. I think the fast idle pcs differ as well, and that contributed to the difficulty.

EASIEST method is probably to swap the entire carb for the nearest year with HA Choke- 1970.