CHE*Y COVERTER/BOLT TO OLDS?

Search this Thread

Old May 27th, 2009, 04:12 PM

Red face CHE*Y COVERTER/BOLT TO OLDS?

Hey guys,heres a swap youll like!My 78'pontiac wagon w/305 chevy is trying my patience again!So today,while wrenching on it ,i thought,what better way to use this 403 in the corner.I can get an adapter plate for the trans,so which converter to use?? Wasn't sure where to post this...or at all here.DONT SHOOT!I'm trying to go olds here,thanks ,BO
Old May 27th, 2009, 04:39 PM

Be careful that some converters may interfere with the balance plate that is welded to the flexplate.
Buick, and Olds converters have "lugs" welded to the converter, while the Chevy's have a plate that must use bolts and nuts.
IF you do have interference here, converters are relatively inexpensive, and I would change the front seal while you were at it anyway.
I love the idea, and you will be very happy with this swap.
FUN!!!
Jim
Old May 27th, 2009, 04:50 PM

Hey thanks,I've got a stock 400 converter that came out of my 72'.Will it slide on the 350's [chevy trans] shaft?Really got bigger projects going,but i just dont like the weak 305.This is my daily driver,and w/403 all my toys/cars would be OLDS POWERED!!
Plus i'd pull a stump!Man youve been of great help to me,your now officially ''my machinist friend''and we all need at least one of those!later,BO
Old May 27th, 2009, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by BosMobile
Hey thanks,I've got a stock 400 converter that came out of my 72'.Will it slide on the 350's [chevy trans] shaft?Really got bigger projects going,but i just dont like the weak 305.This is my daily driver,and w/403 all my toys/cars would be OLDS POWERED!!
Plus i'd pull a stump!Man youve been of great help to me,your now officially ''my machinist friend''and we all need at least one of those!later,BO
Glad I could help you out some, I know there are even more experienced people than me around, though. On some of this stuff, I think many need straight answers, and no ego. Thanks for the good words.
My father had a 79 Olds wagon with that pathetic 305, and I was happy when he traded it for a jeep. I got tired of working on it. It needed more gear, his had a 2.41 out back. Never was gonna happen.

What kind of shape is the current t-350 transmission in?
The T-400 converter should work, make sure it has VERY CLEAN fluid (red-not burnt orange) and does not smell burnt, on either transmission. I would go as far as saying have a new one installed anyway. Put a cooler on it no matter what. Both are cheap insurance.
Jim

Last edited by Warhead; May 27th, 2009 at 05:27 PM.
Old May 27th, 2009, 06:02 PM

Yeah!Thanks,the converters been in the TCI box my new one came in for years.Guess i could rinse some clean fluid through it first.Thats my thing too.My friends are saying''just stick it in there''.If i dont spend the money to do it right,it'll never work for me.PLUS,they wouldnt be here the day it breaks,to pull that tranny!HA!
Do you happen to know of any machine shops in ALABAMA that know OLDS stuff?probably need to ask that in GENRAL,i'm ready to make friends with another machinist,the one i really have to trust.With my engine and my money,thanks again,later,BO