AC

Search this Thread

Old May 27th, 2009, 03:42 PM

Lightbulb AC

This is probably a complete noob question, but I did a quick search and didn't find anything.
Are there any tricks for removing the Frigidair AC unit off a 455?
Old May 27th, 2009, 05:06 PM
Oldsdruid

Take it you're asking about the compressor mounted on the engine? Other than discharging the system to zero pressure so it doesn't spray you with refrigerant and oil, no. But since you're in California, you'll have to be extra careful not to get caught discharging it to atmosphere.

Depressurize the system, unplug clutch wiring, unbolt the hose block at rear of compressor, then remove bolts as necessary to get it out of its mounting bracket. Lift it off. It's heavy.

If this is to remove it from a junk car, I think most JYs require A/C systems to be discharged and/or recovered before they'll accept a vehicle now. If there's R12 in it you may have trouble even finding anyone now who'll recover it for you since it is: technically illegal to own/handle without license, and no longer cost effective to recover since the majority of vehicles now on the road do not use it.

And I will believe until I die that DuPont engineered the ozone hole myth to get people using R134a, since the patents (read royalties) were about to expire on R12. More government voodoo science at work.

"Better things for better living... through chemistry."

Not talking about Fatboy Slim or the Queens of the Stone Age either.
Old May 27th, 2009, 09:22 PM

Cool, thanks Rocket. That was pretty much what I was assuming, that I didn't want to just start pulling hoses out of it blindly.