Changing Camshaft

Search this Thread

Old March 11th, 2013, 11:35 AM

Question Changing Camshaft

-When you pull off the waterpump & front cover is it necessary to drop the oil pan?
-
-When putting the distributer back on... how best to put it in a place where the car would start right away?
-
-Whan adjusting Harland Sharp rockers 5001 on new dry lifters you adjust them until the pushrod feels some friction and then adjust them 1/2 turn tighter?
-
- When putting Performer aluminum manifold to cast iron heads is it better use "turkey tray" gasket or just the short Edelbrock manifold/ head gasket?
-
-Edelbrock Performer manifold needs some bolts over the water crossover what thread pattern are they?

thanks
joepenoso
Old March 11th, 2013, 06:00 PM

Trim the tabs from the oil pan seal on the timing cover. It does help to loosen the oil pan bolts. Use a blob of RTV at the corner where the timing cover meets the oil pan.

Rotate the engine so the #1 cylinder is on the compression stroke. Position the crank so the timing mark reads 10*, drop the distributor in with the rotor pointing to the #1 plug wire. Once the distributor is in, rotate the distributor body so the points just open (if your using ignition points) or the triangle shaped pointers on the pick-up coil are lined up (if using HEI ignition). If you do this correctly, when you start the engine and put a timing light on it it should read about 10*, you can set the timing with a timing light.

With the camshaft on the base circle, slowly tighten the polylocks to zero lash (you will feel a slight increase in resistance when turning the pushrod with your fingers) then turn the polylock 1/2 to 3/4 turn and lock it down.

I prefer the Mr. Gasket ultra seal intake gaskets over the "turkey tray" factory gasket. I have heard of people using both, the added sealing capabilities of the Mr gasket, and the turkey tray to keep hot oil off the bottom of the intake. Never tried it, the theory sounds good to me.

If your talking about the thermostat housing bolts they are 5/16x18 threads.
Old March 11th, 2013, 06:16 PM
Just the facts...

i can't recommend mr. gasket ultra seals, i had a set that the motor was trying to swallow into the valley.
just my $.02

bill
Old March 11th, 2013, 07:10 PM

I've always had the best luck with making sure #1 is in the TDC position, before pullng the distributer.
Lines up the chain and timing notch, too, less chance for error!
Old March 12th, 2013, 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by BILL DEMMER
i can't recommend mr. gasket ultra seals, i had a set that the motor was trying to swallow into the valley.
just my $.02

bill
Sorry, but I have had very good luck with the ultra seals.
Old March 13th, 2013, 11:11 AM

Wink

Thank You for all your help!!
joepenoso