Can't locate where oil is leaking from

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2017, 05:55 PM

Can't locate where oil is leaking from

Have a 71 455 in a 67 cutlass and it's leaking oil from the driver's side. The oil seems to be running down the headers but I cannot locate the actual area of leak. It seems to be dripping mainly from the #3 cylinder header tube. I know it should be obvious but it is not. I replaced the valve covers and gaskets, as they were leaking, and it doesn't appear to be leaking from there any longer. It looks like it starts above the oil pan so I don't think that's the issue. Not seemingly the dipstick tube either. Could it be a head gasket? Because I've also got a lot of moisture with black (carbon) deposits coming out of the tailpipes. I know a head gasket isn't usually associated with an oil leak.

Thanks for any help,
Rik
Old May 6th, 2017, 06:11 PM

Get a couple cans of brake cleaner, and spray the area until it is clean of all grease and grime, and then start looking for fresh oil. It will be the best money that you can spend finding a leak quickly.
Old May 6th, 2017, 06:32 PM
Administrator

Baking soda or baby powder blown onto the area after its clean will detect a path. Or you can put dye in the oil go from there.
Old May 6th, 2017, 06:34 PM

Ok I'll give it a good cleaning and go from there. Will try the baking powder too. Thanks
Old May 6th, 2017, 06:52 PM
Administrator

The nice thing about the powder is once your done just rinse it off. Look at your intake manifold. If your engine has blowby and no way for the pressure to be released, it will blow oil out the dipstick. The black stuff blowing out your exhaust may be carbon buildup mixed with condensation. Usually an indication of poor engine tune.
Old May 6th, 2017, 08:34 PM

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.