Aluminum head deals

Search this Thread

Old November 10th, 2016, 07:41 AM

Aluminum head deals

Looking to swap out the stock heads on my 455 with aluminum edelbrocks. Having a time finding these for under a grand for each one. Anyone know of any good shopping places for a deal without sacrificing the good heads?
Old November 10th, 2016, 07:56 AM

Bernard Mondello sells on Ebay a pair of aluminum heads (ProComp) for 1399+ 75 shipping. These are setup and ready to go, I know of a few guys running them with no problems.
Old November 10th, 2016, 08:15 AM

I now offer the Procomp's as well. Mine come with larger intake valves and all the casting cleaned up, as well as CC'd to your spec.
Old November 10th, 2016, 10:48 AM

prices

Originally Posted by cutlassefi
I now offer the Procomp's as well. Mine come with larger intake valves and all the casting cleaned up, as well as CC'd to your spec.
Prices Mark?
Old November 10th, 2016, 11:15 AM

$1650.00 for most combinations. That includes the above, a little more if you need them below 70cc.
Old November 10th, 2016, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by 1970-W30
Bernard Mondello sells on Ebay a pair of aluminum heads (ProComp) for 1399+ 75 shipping. These are setup and ready to go, I know of a few guys running them with no problems.
Old November 10th, 2016, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by 1970-W30
That's price is on the mark. I'm waiting for my mechanic for feedback on these heads. Thanks for the tip.
Old November 10th, 2016, 05:53 PM

Heads

Originally Posted by djdrgn67
That's price is on the mark. I'm waiting for my mechanic for feedback on these heads. Thanks for the tip.
Is your mechanic an Oldsmobile expert? The heads are a great value for the price. Your mechanic probably has never even hear of Bernard.
Old November 10th, 2016, 05:55 PM

Mine offer a bit more flow etc., just sayin!!;-)

Last edited by cutlassefi; November 11th, 2016 at 04:43 AM.
Old November 10th, 2016, 06:42 PM

Mine offer a bit more flow etc., just sayin!!😀😀😀
Olds expert? Probably not. He just mentioned edelbrock. I thought the prices of those Are crazy. I'm interested in finding another good quality head choice without the big $$ This is a street car. Never going to race but I'd love more power.
Old November 10th, 2016, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by djdrgn67
Olds expert? Probably not. He just mentioned edelbrock. I thought the prices of those Are crazy. I'm interested in finding another good quality head choice without the big $$ This is a street car. Never going to race but I'd love more power.
Your choices are stock heads, Edelbrock, or ProComp. Sounds like CutlassEFI's ProComps will be ready to bolt right on.
Old November 11th, 2016, 07:17 AM
Beer Connoisseur

Check out the build thread in my signature.
BTW CutlassEFI is a great guy to deal with.

Unlike Chevy, Olds doesn't have many choices and Procomp heads from Bernard are a good choice for the $$$, looks like the ones Mark is offering are even better.
Old November 14th, 2016, 12:43 PM

If you are looking for the best VALUE in an aluminum cylinder head purchase, the "Premium Package" Pro Comp ( Speedmaster) cylinder heads offered by Bernard Mondello are the absolutely best buy.

The castings are hand selected by Bernard, are meticulously prepared, surfaced, de-burred, port matched, and have all hand fitted components so you know your heads will work properly with your particular combination.

Bernard performs all the work himself in a completely state of the art and impeccably clean shop, not on a crusty work bench in someone's garage, and he stands behind his work 100%.

Why try to save a couple of hundred bucks when you can have all the knowledge and expertise of the only Mondello craftsman applied to your cylinder heads?

I have been building Olds engines for our racing program as well as many Olds customers here on the West Coast for several years now and have used Bernard exclusively without a single problem and I visit his shop regularly to purchase other components as well so he can be a wealth of knowledge and parts support for your Olds engine upgrade.

Just my .02 worth.

Grant Warner
Riverside Ca.
Old November 14th, 2016, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by h/o guy
If you are looking for the best VALUE in an aluminum cylinder head purchase, the "Premium Package" Pro Comp ( Speedmaster) cylinder heads offered by Bernard Mondello are the absolutely best buy.

The castings are hand selected by Bernard, are meticulously prepared, surfaced, de-burred, port matched, and have all hand fitted components so you know your heads will work properly with your particular combination.

Bernard performs all the work himself in a completely state of the art and impeccably clean shop, not on a crusty work bench in someone's garage, and he stands behind his work 100%.

Why try to save a couple of hundred bucks when you can have all the knowledge and expertise of the only Mondello craftsman applied to your cylinder heads?

I have been building Olds engines for our racing program as well as many Olds customers here on the West Coast for several years now and have used Bernard exclusively without a single problem and I visit his shop regularly to purchase other components as well so he can be a wealth of knowledge and parts support for your Olds engine upgrade.

Just my .02 worth.

Grant Warner
Riverside Ca.

You live in CA but you don't use the California Mondello Performance?

I am shocked! Ok, Ok....I'm not.
Old November 16th, 2016, 08:42 AM

Now that you have muddied the waters Dave, clarification is needed so that the new Olds enthusiasts that may be reading this post don't make a fatal error on who to purchase their Olds parts from.

Warning to all; Mondello Performance Products in Paso Robles Ca. IS NOT operated by anyone connected to the Mondello family and has an extremely poor reputation in the Olds community. This is one company where the "Buyer Beware" phrase is quite applicable.

B.M.R.E. -- Bernard Mondello Racing Enterprises is the ONLY Mondello that is actually performing cylinder head work and selling Olds specific engine components and has an impeccable reputation in the Olds and other engine family circles.
Old November 18th, 2016, 01:13 PM

Not trying to throw gas on the fire but cutlassefi has been around the Oldsmobile sites for quite a while and he has given good advice. That's a very fair price for an upgraded set of ProComps. I would go with the better flowing heads and he could advise you on a camshaft to take advantage of the heads. One needs a matching package to take advantage of the potential of the heads. Jmo.
Old November 19th, 2016, 07:21 PM

Now that you have muddied the waters Dave, clarification is needed so that the new Olds enthusiasts that may be reading this post don't make a fatal error on who to purchase their Olds parts from.

Warning to all; Mondello Performance Products in Paso Robles Ca. IS NOT operated by anyone connected to the Mondello family and has an extremely poor reputation in the Olds community. This is one company where the "Buyer Beware" phrase is quite applicable.

B.M.R.E. -- Bernard Mondello Racing Enterprises is the ONLY Mondello that is actually performing cylinder head work and selling Olds specific engine components and has an impeccable reputation in the Olds and other engine family circles.
I just received a modular crankshaft # 6130, supposed to be 5340 metal, purchased from Mondello Performance Products. What are the issues with them? Did I make a huge mistake?
Old November 19th, 2016, 07:45 PM

Fantastic

Fresh out of the box with scratches

Mis-drill?

Was told it came with pilot bushing. Mine won't fit either. Receipt says 20 percent restock fee and store credit only. GREAT.
Old November 20th, 2016, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by Gary M
I just received a modular crankshaft # 6130, supposed to be 5340 metal, purchased from Mondello Performance Products. What are the issues with them? Did I make a huge mistake?
Did you mean Nodular crank? The oil galley isn't a big deal. The scratches didn't look deep. Why is it that the crank don't fit can you explain more? Buying from BMRE is not a problem.As for any other business that says Mondello stay away from.JMO
Old May 7th, 2017, 08:54 AM

Just my .02 worth.

Grant Warner
Riverside Ca.
Old July 24th, 2020, 06:56 AM

Need some heads

are you still offering heads? What would the price be for complete set-up. I know you know your stuff so is it possible for me to have my 455 rebuilt to 450 hp for about 5 grand? Oh and still be reliable?
Old July 24th, 2020, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Bgdaddy455
are you still offering heads? What would the price be for complete set-up. I know you know your stuff so is it possible for me to have my 455 rebuilt to 450 hp for about 5 grand? Oh and still be reliable?
Yes, they’re $1850 now with the larger valve.
5k is tight for a rebuild budget but maybe......
Old July 25th, 2020, 05:38 AM

I guess I missed it Mark. What is the size of the bigger intake valve?
Old July 25th, 2020, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by wr1970
i guess i missed it mark. What is the size of the bigger intake valve?
Old July 28th, 2020, 06:47 AM

Mondello?

I have chatted with u before, I’m Bobby. I took the time to speak with Joe Mondello, over at Mondello engine works in Cali. He also said my 350 Rocket should have aluminum heads, ( never got to the point of asking which ones, I figured the Edlebrock performer RPM ) Joe Mondello mentioned to me, that he has a service where he ships your motor to Cali & rebuilds motor for 3grand, which includes shipping. Any thoughts on Mondello? Is it worth shipping it to him? Any engine rebuilders in NY AREA u would recommend. Thank you for your time Bobby
Old July 28th, 2020, 07:13 AM

Mondello

Originally Posted by oldsmobiledave
Is your mechanic an Oldsmobile expert? The heads are a great value for the price. Your mechanic probably has never even hear of Bernard.
I was speaking to Joe Mondello, of Mondello preformance. Has anyone used them to rebuild there motor? Any advice on engine shops? Bobby
Old July 28th, 2020, 07:23 AM

Mondello Californa

Originally Posted by oldsmobiledave
You live in CA but you don't use the California Mondello Performance?

I am shocked! Ok, Ok....I'm not.
unfortunately I live in NY. I spoke to a Mondello over at Mondello performance in Cali. He told me that for 3grand, including shipping, he would rebuild my 350 Rocket motor. Fact is I’m in NY, would prefer Simone I could deal with in NY area. Any advice? Is Mondello preformance a good shop?
Old July 28th, 2020, 07:27 AM

Mondello shop Cali

I called that shop & a gentleman who said his name was Joe Mondello, was giving me advice on rebuilding my motor. He stated that I could shop my motor, for 3grand including shipping, and that would cover rebuild. I couldn’t see myself shipping him my motor anyway. Looking for shop in NY area, Long Island actually. Any feed back is greatly appreciated. Thank u for your time Bobby
Old July 28th, 2020, 07:36 AM

Interested in Pro comp heads-

Old July 28th, 2020, 07:42 AM

Interested in pro comp heads and setup that goes with it for 350

All roads lead back to Mark. I contacted Mondello preformance the other day & a gentleman named Joe, who claimed to be Joe Mondello, was trying to get me to ship him my motor, Cali to rebuild, 3grand including shipping. Are there any shops u can recommend in NY/Long island area? Def interested in the pro comp alumn heads, along with street Demon 750 W/choke, eldebrock 37111 intake manifold. Headers, I guess hooker step headers. I’m interested in a total setup by u. Any advice is greatly appreciated-Bobby
Old July 28th, 2020, 08:53 AM

Mondello Performance in Pasa Robles, California is not who you should be dealing with. BERNARD Mondello Racing Engines in CORONA, California would be the preferred.
Cutlassefi or Bill Travato would also be good. WIth the parts you listed, you'll hit $5,000 in parts alone. $3,000 including shipping is absurd, think about it.
Old July 28th, 2020, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Bobby1917
Fact is I’m in NY, would prefer Simone I could deal with in NY area. Any advice? Is Mondello preformance a good shop?
BTR Performance, Rochester, NY

http://btrperformance.com/
Old July 28th, 2020, 04:33 PM

All roads lead back to Mark. I contacted Mondello preformance the other day & a gentleman named Joe, who claimed to be Joe Mondello, was trying to get me to ship him my motor, Cali to rebuild, 3grand including shipping. Are there any shops u can recommend in NY/Long island area? Def interested in the pro comp alumn heads, along with street Demon 750 W/choke, eldebrock 37111 intake manifold. Headers, I guess hooker step headers. I’m interested in a total setup by u. Any advice is greatly appreciated-Bobby
I’d use a 7111, not the 3711, and don’t need step headers at this level. Otherwise your plan seems reasonable. Best of luck in your project.
Old July 28th, 2020, 04:57 PM

Bill Trovato is in NY...
http://btrperformance.com
Old July 29th, 2020, 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by allyolds68
BTR Performance, Rochester, NY

http://btrperformance.com/
Thank you for the info. One piece at a time. Bobby
Old July 29th, 2020, 04:48 AM

I’d use a 7111, not the 3711, and don’t need step headers at this level. Otherwise your plan seems reasonable. Best of luck in your project.
That’s what I meant,7111. I’m starting to figure some things out, bolt on stuff, which appeals to me, because I can start purchasing stuff, compile & then finish it off. Mark can u advise of any shops u might use to rebuild my motor in NY/Long Island area? Do u do rebuilds yourself? I’m doing my research & inching along, ive owned this car since 84,& I want it to be done right/proper, & thank you for all of your advice. Car hasn’t really rolled since 92, it’s almost time again.
Old July 29th, 2020, 04:56 AM

That’s what I meant,7111. I’m starting to figure some things out, bolt on stuff, which appeals to me, because I can start purchasing stuff, compile & then finish it off. Mark can u advise of any shops u might use to rebuild my motor in NY/Long Island area? Do u do rebuilds yourself? I’m doing my research & inching along, ive owned this car since 84,& I want it to be done right/proper, & thank you for all of your advice. Car hasn’t really rolled since 92, it’s almost time again.
Old July 29th, 2020, 10:06 PM

I was speaking to Joe Mondello, of Mondello preformance. Has anyone used them to rebuild there motor? Any advice on engine shops? Bobby
Joe Mondello has been dead for many years now.