A6 compressor mounting

Search this Thread

Old April 3rd, 2017, 07:40 AM

A6 compressor mounting

Still mocking up my BBO bracketry over here. I have A/C questions.

I hope to keep the '77 Pace Car's A6 w/ R-134 system sealed during engine R&R - so I have obtained duplicate bracketry to mock up on the 455 on the stand.

I have an A6 compressor with bracket that I liberated from a 1976 Cutlass w/ SBO 350 (maybe 260). Is that same bracket supposed to bolt up to the BBO 455?

If that bracket is supposed to fit BBO - it doesn't clear the Milodon valve covers I have on there now. Is there an Olds A6 bracket available that clears tall valve overs?

Oh and oh yeah - "Holy Sh*t that A6 is heavy".
Old April 3rd, 2017, 08:29 AM

AFAIK, all stock A/C brackets require stock covers. I have a 3/8" spacer and stock covers to clear my valvetrain setup and it barely fits under the bracket.
You'll have to fabricate something to clear the tall covers. Another option is converting to a sanden style compressor. They're smaller and lighter, so fabricating mounts is a bit easier.
Old April 3rd, 2017, 10:33 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by ReallyWildStuff
If that bracket is supposed to fit BBO - it doesn't clear the Milodon valve covers I have on there now. Is there an Olds A6 bracket available that clears tall valve overs?
Nope. Obviously the factory never made brackets to clear aftermarket covers, and frankly, the aftermarket figures that if you have a high performance engine that requires tall valve covers, A/C is the last thing you'll be adding. Your only options are make custom brackets or convert to an R4 compressor with the modified 307 brackets that put it in front of the valve cover.

Oh and oh yeah - "Holy Sh*t that A6 is heavy".
Which is why I'm planning on the aftermarket aluminum A6 replacement that fits the stock brackets but weighs over 50% less.
Old April 3rd, 2017, 12:27 PM

When I built all this c.1999 the plethora of parts currently available on the Internet wasn't yet available. The Milodon VCs were one of the few "new, i.e. straight" VCs available (Edelbrock Elite were another but F all that). I was running 1984-spec R4 and made it work.

I guess I'm going to scrape all my pennies together to buy some new notched covers from InLine Tube (#INL 10595) for $179/pr. Didn't get any first-hand feedback on these earlier; I guess I'll go first. YES, I did follow up on ads for original parts for sale - all Sold.

This is what I will replace my compressor with if it ever goes pop:
http://www.s6compressor.com/contact.html
Old April 3rd, 2017, 12:31 PM
Old(s) Fart

The notches go towards the back and have ZERO effect on compressor clearance.
Old April 3rd, 2017, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
The notches go towards the back and have ZERO effect on compressor clearance.
Yes, I know.

I need a set of factory 10 bolt VCs (of some type) to facilitate use of the factory A6 bracketry/factory air cleaner piping/heat riser/"OAI".

The notched VCs seem like a better bet re: the 455 clearing the HVAC suitcase and the booster in this '77 B-body.
Old April 4th, 2017, 06:00 AM

If you really have run out of options. I'm using the bottom link in this post for a Sanden compressor. Completely out of the way of the valve cover. Or, like Joe said, use the 80's A4 compressor brackets. The car isn't really original as is, is it?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Air-...hX2G31&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Oldsmobile-3...xWJSoo&vxp=mtr
Old April 4th, 2017, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by brownbomber77
The car isn't really original as is, is it?
Re: this 1977 B-body - I plan to use factory valve covers and the stock air cleaner with the 455 re: maintaining outward original appearance.

I was seriously considering adding a second snorkel onto that factory air cleaner and working out an OAI system a-la '68 H/O with A/C - probably concurrent with relocating the battery to the trunk. Gonna have to either ditch or relocate the EVAP canister for the PS hose in that setup. Would like to see the scoops in the turn signal holes of an 80-up B-body front bumper with all-black rub strip...

Also wanted to add that I now recall that the 455 with Milodon covers sure did break the hell out of the inboard lower corner of 1984 Delta's HVAC suitcase. Maybe notched covers won't. Maybe regular stock covers would not either.

I did want to keep the A6 compressor on the 1977, and also re: original appearance. It may even still have a charge - haven't checked. I don't think there's that much difference between the A6-spec evap coil/condenser coil/dryer/low pressure cycling system vs. the R4-spec equipment but I am loathe to start mixing and matching parts like that - ALTHOUGH it may turn out to be "Impossible" to do the dual-snorkel thing with the A6 (or A6 analogue) in the stock location.

FYI - these links below didn't work for me. I had trouble posting some eBay links of my own recently - they resolve to http://www.viglink.com instead of eBay. Don't know what that's all about.

Old April 4th, 2017, 10:21 AM

Oh, whoops. Um, well in that case, just go to eBay and type in "Oldsmobile 350 Sanden compressor brackets. There are only a few listings for them. It's ebay #

or this guy is selling a vintage air bracket kit